Options

Help needed for a printer problem

Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a hp laserjet pro 200 Color m251nw.

I am getting a black line printing down the right hand side of the page on every sheet. I have run the cleaning page and printed print quality report but can't tell from this what is causing the problem. The toners look ok. Please can anyone help me? I've only had the printer about 6 months. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Run the Head Cleaning and the Head alignment, that should clear it but if not come back to me and let me know
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    I have a hp laserjet pro 200 Color m251nw.

I am getting a black line printing down the right hand side of the page on every sheet. I have run the cleaning page and printed print quality report but can't tell from this what is causing the problem. The toners look ok. Please can anyone help me? I've only had the printer about 6 months. Thanks

Are the lines printing on these reports or a test page?
  • Options
    cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't the cleaning x2 help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I printed the cleaning page but still the same
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    Run the Head Cleaning and the Head alignment, that should clear it but if not come back to me and let me know

Ivd ran the cleaning page but don't know how to do what you suggest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    sounds like some toner has gotten onto the drum and may need either cleaning or replacing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like some toner has gotten onto the drum and may need either cleaning or replacing

Do you mean replace the black toner?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laser printing is an electrostatic digital printing process that rapidly produces high quality text and graphics by passing a laser beam over a charged drum to define a differentially charged image. The drum then selectively collects charged toner and transfers the image to paper, which is then heated to permanently fix the image.
    It's the drum you need to access to clean but don't touch it with your fingers as it is all to easy to leave your prints on it.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivd ran the cleaning page but don't know how to do what you suggest.
    The advice given in that post you quoted refers to an inkjet printer not a laser printer. So no real surprise you can't find a head alignment option because there isn't one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the drum separate to the toner? If so where do I find it?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the drum separate to the toner? If so where do I find it?

The imaging drum is integrated into the toner cartridge. Page 3 of this

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02886959.pdf

has an image of the drum on the underside of the cartridge. But be very careful handling it as you can easily damage it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The imaging drum is integrated into the toner cartridge. Page 3 of this

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02886959.pdf

has an image of the drum on the underside of the cartridge. But be very careful handling it as you can easily damage it.

Thanks for this. If I get a new black toner do you think this will solve the problem as it is a black line that is printing on all the pages?
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this. If I get a new black toner do you think this will solve the problem as it is a black line that is printing on all the pages?

Buying a new toner unit will solve the problem as that is where the issue is. There is a build up of gunk ( old toner ) on the electrostatic toner drum unit.

In the interim. Remove the toner cartridge and locate the (normally) retractable arm mechanism that protects the electrostatic rollers ... normally green or recently blue in colour.

Get some kitchen towel, spray lightly with something like Windolene ( a window cleaner type thing works best ) and lightly wipe over the coloured roller while rotating the mechanism with your other hand, you should already have spotted the built up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wiped the black one and now I'm getting a red line down centre of pages. I'm going to get a new set of proper HP toners as these are compatibles so may be dodgy
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wiped the black one and now I'm getting a red line down centre of pages. I'm going to get a new set of proper HP toners as these are compatibles so may be dodgy

Wipe soft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    Wipe soft.

Sorry?