Options

trigeminal neuralgia......

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
:(:(:(

i got carbamazepine, what are people`s experience with it for neuralgia please?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    anyone? i`m reluctant to take it for the side effects in case it knocks me out.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Pharmacist here - it's an effective treatment for TGN, I've not known anyone in 35 years unable to tolerate it. It can render the 'pill' ineffective so something to bear in mind.

Starting dose is normally 200-400mg/day, and raised if necessary (not usual).

I wouldn't have any hesitation in taking it - TGN is an unpleasant condition.

HTH
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on it for about 3 years. It helped a lot and I didn't have any problems with it.

The TGN just gradually went away. I suddenly realised that it hadn't hurt for ages and stopped taking the meds. It never came back, thankfully.

It is incredibly painful, you have my sympathy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thank you lovelies, i`ll take it tonight then :) he`s started me on 100mg and to double up in a month if i need to.

i`m doing ibuprofen, paracetamol and tramadol together plus oralgel while i`m waiting for those to kick in but i can still feel a kind of high pitch throb and stabs that make me twitch, fingers crossed the carba works.