Recording Mishaps

martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tonight Strictly Come Dancing and The X Factor were not recorded, checking the Mishaps to find out why it says No longer on Guide as the reason they failed to record.
Scrolling back through the guide both programmes are still listed at their respective times.
Luckily Strictly was available on catch up so my other half didn't miss it and we watched x factor live..

Never known anything like this before.

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    Yeah. Does sound weird. SCD recorded fine for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Happened to me on Monday. Ripper Street (BBC1) & Monty Halls (C5). Both failed to record.

Problem appears to be the muppets who input the data on the EPG.

Originaly C5 had " Monty Halls and the Kaisers Gold" sometime between Sunday night (last time I checked what was set to record) and Monday night, it changed to "Monty Halls and..."

VM's update of the TIVO software, now shows episode name as well as show title, and I think the muppets who enter the data got it wrong, possible because they don't understand what they're doing or it's farmed out to the third world.
  • martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the issue with Monty Hall as well, tried to set a series link again a little while ago Tivo promptly crashed! Restarted it and set individual recordings for next 2 Mondays and the early morning repeat of episode 1 at about 3AM Saturday morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Failed to record Nikita on Friday. Recording Hiccups states "no longer in guide".

This update is becoming a real pain, never know what will record or not.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine recorded ripper street and nikita
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,306
    Forum Member
    Looks like the same problem that was reported in the US on the TiVo Roamio in October and was fixed at the end of the month.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=509715&page=2
    Forum Member
    Failed to record Nikita on Friday. Recording Hiccups states "no longer in guide".
    No problems recording Nikita here. And we all get exactly the same guide data.
    This update is becoming a real pain, never know what will record or not.
    I have not had any failed recordings since the update.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Carl, I too have been very happy with the update and Nikita recorded OK for me too.

However, you need to understand that although we all get the same guide data, we don't necessarily have the same guide data at the same time.

Even after the update, when TiVo now updates four times a day, there are people whose guide data wil be different, less up-to-date, and this can lead to different issues, not seen by others.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member

Nor me, strange that people are having differing problems.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine recorded Nikita too. Friday night is quite busy for my TiVo, with several back-to-back recordings and episodes across multiple channels. Perhaps that's a factor. (Although it shouldn't be, if "not in guide" is accurate.)
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spotted a potential 'mishap' in my planned recordings where the same programme was planned twice, once against channel 108 BBC1HD and once 108 BBC1EngHD (or something to that effect). VM said BBC's rebranding of some channels was confusing the guide so this may have something to do with the OP problem
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Carl, I too have been very happy with the update and Nikita recorded OK for me too.

However, you need to understand that although we all get the same guide data, we don't necessarily have the same guide data at the same time.

Even after the update, when TiVo now updates four times a day, there are people whose guide data wil be different, less up-to-date, and this can lead to different issues, not seen by others.
    Ah, of course. Indeed. :o Also, was neither trying nor meaning to belittle anyone's complaint.

Also... seriously? You mean every box updates 4 times a day? Cool.
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're having problems with the series link on our TiVo. It'll record everything, even though its programmed not to or it won't record at all. We've had two series that were on series link not record.
    Anyone else had this?
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TIVO failed to record Jonathan Ross last night, saying that the programme was 'no longer in guide'. Going backwards in the EPG, I saw that Jeremy Kyle had replaced Jonathan Ross. But JR is in catch up....:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    My TIVO failed to record Jonathan Ross last night, saying that the programme was 'no longer in guide'. Going backwards in the EPG, I saw that Jeremy Kyle had replaced Jonathan Ross. But JR is in catch up....:confused:

TIVO looks at your viewing history and makes intelligent decisions about programmes you like to watch. In this case it has probably decided that Jonathan Ross was unsuitable for you, and given you Jeremy Kyle instead. :p
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MostynDS wrote: »
    TIVO looks at your viewing history and makes intelligent decisions about programmes you like to watch. In this case it has probably decided that Jonathan Ross was unsuitable for you, and given you Jeremy Kyle instead. :p
    How very dare you... ;-)
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cable went down last night. Flashing green so not sure if jross would've worked had it not. Ended up having to tune my freeview in. In general my series links do behave themselves though.
    Forum Member
    OLD BOY wrote: »

I noticed that. As far as I'm aware Jonathan Ross was on so why Tivo decided Jeremy Kyle was on is beyond me.
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a known issue with 20.3.5 concerning back-to-back recordings on the same channel where the second recording fails with the hiccup "no longer in guide" when it quite clearly is.

It is nothing to do with the EPG data being incorrect, the culprit is the EPG service connection. During the back-to-back recording there is a critical period during the overlap window (end padding on the first, start padding on the second); if you happen to get a service connection, the new EPG data is downloaded and the processing of the data starts and it seems that if the processing of the data happens during the overlap period then there is a high probability that the second recording gets removed from the schedule resulting in the hiccup appearing and the failed recording!

As a poster above has said it has meant to have been fixed in 20.3.8 which has been released in the US.
    Forum Member
    There is a known issue with 20.3.5 concerning back-to-back recordings on the same channel where the second recording fails with the hiccup "no longer in guide" when it quite clearly is.

It is nothing to do with the EPG data being incorrect, the culprit is the EPG service connection. During the back-to-back recording there is a critical period during the overlap window (end padding on the first, start padding on the second); if you happen to get a service connection, the new EPG data is downloaded and the processing of the data starts and it seems that if the processing of the data happens during the overlap period then there is a high probability that the second recording gets removed from the schedule resulting in the hiccup appearing and the failed recording!

As a poster above has said it has meant to have been fixed in 20.3.8 which has been released in the US.

I don't think this has ever happened to me which is weird.
  • brian_wbrian_w Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    A mishap nearly caught me out today.

Series record for Babylon 5 (WatchHD) set for daily 12:00 Midday transmissions, dropped todays episode (S03E03 titled "A day in the strife").

The mishap text showed "Not available" and shows the programme title as "Voices of Authority" (which is episode 5), which isn't scheduled to be transmitted until Thursday (and is shown correctly in the planned recordings section), so in that respect is correct in marking it as a mishap.

Interestingly enough though, both the on-line Virgin tv guide, and the Tivo guide show the correct programme i.e Episode 3, so where did it get the wrong data from, and could it be related to the problem in service connection timing mentioned earlier, although in this case, no follow on was set, either before or after. i.e a mistimed (from my point of view) data connection?

Fortunately I spotted the mishap early on and was able to set a manual record for the repeat showing at 17:00 (fingers crossed....)
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this has ever happened to me which is weird.

Lucky you :p

The VM support forums have plenty of threads where people are reporting the failed back-to-backs.

The US support forums had a spate of reports last September when they had v20.3.5 and TiVo actually disabled the single tuner back-to-back feature in October because it was just too buggy. It was re-enabled in December when they released v20.3.8
    Forum Member
    Lucky you :p

The VM support forums have plenty of threads where people are reporting the failed back-to-backs.

The US support forums had a spate of reports last September when they had v20.3.5 and TiVo actually disabled the single tuner back-to-back feature in October because it was just too buggy. It was re-enabled in December when they released v20.3.8

I wonder why some people get it then? Is it a network strength issue or something? I record plenty of back to back shows and it hasn't happened yet.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why some people get it then? Is it a network strength issue or something? I record plenty of back to back shows and it hasn't happened yet.

It only happens if the EPG is doing an update when the back to back is scheduled and there's crossover padding
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brian_w wrote: »
    A mishap nearly caught me out today.

Series record for Babylon 5 (WatchHD) set for daily 12:00 Midday transmissions, dropped todays episode (S03E03 titled "A day in the strife").

Same here: I'd been looking at my Planned Recordings in the mobile App, just on the off-chance Channel 5 ever get around to showing Person of Interest again (we're only a whole season behind now...) and noticed it wasn't going to be recorded. I also did a manual recording, just for that episode; but it didn't go into the folder with the rest of the B5 stuff (like the Doctor Who stuff all does, whichever channel it's on), which is probably why it wasn't picked up in the series link.

Gary