Options

The Jonathan Creek Thread!

Comments

• Options
    DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than last weeks, but saying that, last weeks was bottom of the barrel type stuff story-wise.

Been an alright episode, not up to the standards of the old ones though as mentioned.

Although seeing the resolution of the Sandman in the last few seconds is like 'Huh'..
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not great but it was a lot better then last weeks episode.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute tripe.Get rid of BBC 1 instead of 3 if this is the best they can do.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Easily better than last week.
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Was it explained why the man didn't just buy another lottery ticket after he lost his?

Better than last weeks episode, a bit of comedy and a bit of a mystery, but not as good as past episodes.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonic wrote: »
    A lot better than last weeks, but saying that, last weeks was bottom of the barrel type stuff story-wise.

Been an alright episode, not up to the standards of the old ones though as mentioned.

Although seeing the resolution of the Sandman in the last few seconds is like 'Huh'..

Too many mysteries in one episode - before there used to one mystery or they were all linked together for one big resolution. It's too piecemeal as it is.
  • Options
    DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Too many mysteries in one episode - before there used to one mystery or they were all linked together for one big resolution. It's too piecemeal as it is.

Yeah I agree with that, it's like they were wrapping up filming and just went "Oh Damn, what about the Sandman!"

*Proceed to film a random scene*
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reo wrote: »
    Was it explained why the man didn't just buy another lottery ticket after he lost his?

Better than last weeks episode, a bit of comedy and a bit of a mystery, but not as good as past episodes.

Absolutely re the ticket - he had plenty of time to repurchase
  • Options
    prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,092
    Forum Member
    Not vintage, but a big improvement on last week's, hopefully they are saving the best of the series till last.
  • Options
    johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what has happened to this show??

i mean HOW did it become this way? im genuinely interested, id like to make my own show one day, and am interested in the process, its happened to the simpsons as well.

i guess one runs out of ideas eventually
  • Options
    broker2304broker2304 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought last weeks was bad but that was absolute shite. What's with all the different storylines that are completely unfathomable ? Absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was like an episode of Midsomer Murders sans corpses crossed with the Vicar of Dibley!
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a bit better than last week, but I'm a bit sad how it doesn't feel like Jonathan Creek any more.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    I guessed that it would be "Will + Win" but didn't that that it would be a phone number!

Much better than last weeks, but it all feels very laboured and wishy-washy. Making more of the big mystery and cutting out all the trimmings but make it much more enjoyable for me.

It seems that with the longer specials of recent years, they were too long, and could easily have been 1hr episodes if they trimmed away all the extra rubbish. But with these they are the standard length but still feel like they are being dragged out. The core of the episodes don't seem to be strong enough to carry them and it's such a shame.

If I didn't know, I would just assume a new writer had come in and taken over the show.
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than last week but still very poor in comparison to Series 1-3
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    The last two episodes were the worst I've ever seen .
    From a big fan to couldn't care less
    If next week's is as bad it looks like what was unmissable to farewell Johnathan
  • Options
    TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    SPOILER ALERT Didn't get why they spied on the religious couple?

I liked the ideas but the execution was horrible. I haven't seen the infamous 1rst episode of this series but the problem seems to be the pacing, acting and general directing. I honestly thought these stories resembled those of old JC. There is simply no chemsitry between the 2 main characters.

Some of the stories with Sawalha were piss awful but the overall episodes were better.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I never understand why TV shows don't film a small scene to tie up plot holes, Imagine the guy who dropped his ticket looked at his watch and realised it was too late to buy another....so simple but as they didn't do it there is a plot hole of why didn't he?
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see last weeks episode but tonight's was very disappointing in comparison to the earlier series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would absolutely love to hear what David's inspiration for the new series was. Wouldn't surprise me if he was pressured to write the show because the one off specials were big ratings winners.

Surely he couldn't have presented these episodes to the BBC, and as a result of their splendour they decided to commission them? It must have been the other way round. It seems like the got everything into place, hired the cast, got all the lovely locations, and then realised they didn't actually have anything to write about!
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was like an episode of Midsomer Murders sans corpses crossed with the Vicar of Dibley!

Hah !! What a perfect description !!!

So….. can't be denied an improvement on last week. I quite liked the lotto number mystery and how it was solved, but as others have said…. why didn't Salvation Army dude just buy another ticket…. daft numpty !!

Jonathan seemed more on his game… he was semi comatose throughout all of last week's, but NOTHING about the partnership works for me with the wife. There is no chemistry, no connection, it just doesn't work !! No magic ! Didn't like how she was all over that baby either. She better not be getting broody by next week. I am all for her vanishing !!

As for the flipping carrots explanation… give me a break !

Agree with you Woodbine…..it was a bit better than last week, but sadly doesn't feel like Jonathan Creek, at least at it's best any more.

Come on David….. get your people to speak with Caroline's people…. and FIX IT !!!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that because of budget cuts ( Alan Davis complained publicly about how little money they were given compared to older episodes), and the fact the BBC were unable to use the windmill anymore, David Renwick has, out of consequence, moved the story on to a more settled, refrained scenario of a married Creek. He is clearly exploring how the character would cope with marriage after leaving his previous life behind. You can see that Creek is frustrated at being prevented to enter into his fantasy world but relishes the chance to try and solve little mysteries that bug him. It was encouraging that his wife is now more accepting of his eccentric behaviour and, if recommissioned, will possibly he more like the Creek of old, albeit more watered down. If you try and grasp the reasoning as to why the show is like it is, it makes sense and will be more enjoyable in the long run.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    I'm in the minority in that I preferred last week's 'mystery'. At least we could pretend that JC was trying to figure out what the whole story was (even though we already knew what was going on).

Also I liked the skewering of Sherlock's logically deductions. I figured that the numbers on the wall were a phone number, but didn't get the Wil + Win thing until someone mentioned it in the thread.

I'm guessing next week's episode will be more of the same 'new Coke' taste to JC, which is a shame. If the series does come back or we get just a one-off special I hope Mr Renwick goes back to the usual formula for JC mystery stories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    A total crock of shit. 30 minutes of content stretched out to an hour. The Sandman sequence had already been done in One Foot In The Grave. The vicar sounded vaguely Mr Swainey-ish and there were moments when I thought Creek's wife was reciting lines written for Maddie.

If David Renwick feels that recycling pointless, meandering dialogue from his previous productions helps to fill his later years then that is fine, but it shouldn't be foisted upon the viewer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I think that because of budget cuts ( Alan Davis complained publicly about how little money they were given compared to older episodes), and the fact the BBC were unable to use the windmill anymore, David Renwick has, out of consequence, moved the story on to a more settled, refrained scenario of a married Creek. He is clearly exploring how the character would cope with marriage after leaving his previous life behind. You can see that Creek is frustrated at being prevented to enter into his fantasy world but relishes the chance to try and solve little mysteries that bug him. It was encouraging that his wife is now more accepting of his eccentric behaviour and, if recommissioned, will possibly he more like the Creek of old, albeit more watered down. If you try and grasp the reasoning as to why the show is like it is, it makes sense and will be more enjoyable in the long run.

Jonathan's new city life doesn't really bother me that much and I think I've realised that isn't an aspect of the new series that bothers me that much. The actual mysteries themselves and the scripts are incredibly weak - the whole premise of the show is about a lateral thinking man being able to find the logic in an impossible situation. All this stuff about a green-eyed creature in the garden, the sandman, the letters to a secret lover and the vanishing ashes are all just papering over the cracks of a flimsy and very poor script.