Lenovo G570 i5 2450M - USB power out when sleeping?

donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just got a new Lenovo G570 i5 2450M, 6GB, with Windows 7 Home Premium...

Is there a way to get USB power out when sleeping?

I looked at control panels, etc, and thought I set it, but when I close the lid, the USB power disappears.

I want to charge my iPhone often without running the screen etc on the laptop.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just get a usb plug adapter
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the USB symbols on the laptop. Do any of them have a zig zag lightening flash? If so these will be the ones that pass the power through when it's off.

It's worth noting that this can be enabled/disabled in the bios on some laptops, similarly it can be controlled by the power management settings in windows
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-usb-power-management-wont-allow-me-to-un/f1a339b7-1388-4790-9cf4-3e895f4fb3f7
  • mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Look at the USB symbols on the laptop. Do any of them have a zig zag lightening flash? If so these will be the ones that pass the power through when it's off.

It's worth noting that this can be enabled/disabled in the bios on some laptops, similarly it can be controlled by the power management settings in windows
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-usb-power-management-wont-allow-me-to-un/f1a339b7-1388-4790-9cf4-3e895f4fb3f7

My Lenovo had pre-installed software called "Power Manager" by default (on mine) usb power while sleeping was disabled, but enabled in the bios.

If you have a battery icon like this you'll have power manager installed, check the settings.
  • donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried this:

1. ClickStart, type power options in the Start Search box, and then clickPower Options in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator
    password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    2. Under the selected power plan, click Change plan settings.
    3. Click Change advanced power settings.
    4. In the Power Options dialog box, expand USB settings, and then expandUSB selective suspend setting.
    6. If you want to disable Windows 7 to turn off the USB root hub click Disabled in thePlugged in list, and then click OK
    If that doesn’t help, then I would suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it fixes the problem.

but it didn’t help. Still no power to the USB ports when the lid of the laptop is closed.

Any ideas?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donelson wrote: »
    Any ideas?
    On my Dell notebook you can change an option in the BIOS to allow power to USB when off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    On my Dell notebook you can change an option in the BIOS to allow power to USB when off.

Can you tell me the steps to take?

Thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you tell me the steps to take?

Thanks!
    Do a restart. Look for a prompt on the screen that says 'Press ?? to enter setup/BIOS'

I'm sure you have a manual or documentation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Do a restart. Look for a prompt on the screen that says 'Press ?? to enter setup/BIOS'

I'm sure you have a manual or documentation.

Yes, but I don't see any way to set Power On Always for USB from any F2 setup options.

There is only "USB Legacy Enable/Disable"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but I don't see any way to set Power On Always for USB from any F2 setup options.

There is only "USB Legacy Enable/Disable"
    The option may not be available at all then, sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of a driver that will keep USB ports powered during lid-closed or sleep etc?

I see a reference online to removing that driver to allow USB devices to sleep, etc.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about your preferred request. But it is possible to switch the screen off, at least.

Monitor Off Utility
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno about your preferred request. But it is possible to switch the screen off, at least.

Monitor Off Utility

That will certainly help. I have contacted Lenovo directly now. This looks like a software bug.