Ant-man brought forward to July 2015

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we might assume there was going to be some discrepencies between the original vison (which Marvel presumably initially agreed with) and the likely outcome then?

Not a first in Hollywood by any means. Maybe Marvel found themselves not really on board with what Wright was planning to do with it, or what the final outcome might be, and the issue only became apparent as the project progressed. Hence the rewrites I suppose.

I can't see that being possible because Edgar Wright had been working on the script on and off for years. Kevin Feige must have known how it was coming along.
    They even filmed some test footage at the back end of this year. I can't see how Marvel wouldn't know how it was shaping up.
    Like others I suspect that somebody high up at Disney has got involved.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is turning into a bit of a clusterf*ck.

Ok, so Edgar Wright leaves. Marvel have a list of 3 replacement directors for the job -

Adam McKay (director of Anchorman1/2, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, The Other Guys)
    Rawson Thurber (director of Dodgeball/We're The Millers)
    Ruben Fleischer (director of Zombieland/Gangster Squad)

Marvel first meets with Adam McKay and offers it to him, he turns it down and tweets he has too much going on. They next go to Rawson Thurber and he also turns it down, no reason given. Next is Fleischer but he's possibly attached to Ghostbusters 3 so he may not have time to do this. So with those 3 out Marvel have lined up another 2 guys for the job.

Nick Stoller (director of Forgetting Sarah Marshall/Get Him To The Greek/Neighbours)
    Michael Dowse (director of Goon/Take Me Home Tonight)

You have to realise though that whoever takes the job will instantly be thrown into the deep end (its release date is July next summer). This will start shooting very soon. There will be very little to none at all prep time......so poison chalice maybe? Hmmmmm.

Yip. 99% certain this is the case and went over Feige's head who has supported Edgar for so long on Antman.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I still get the feeling that Marvel will end up going back to Edgar Wright and begging him to direct Ant Man!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Weird list of directors to pick, on that basis we can probably assume the film will have a strong comedy thread running through it, which would make sense if it is using the Edgar Wright script, but Moviepilot seems to think the film underwent a COMPLETE rewrite (emphasis theirs)...

In my opinion none of those directors would suit a superhero film, Ruben Fleischer, maybe Michael Dowse (if you count Goon) and Adam McKay (if you count The Other Guys) are the only ones to handle action, which would vague imply Ant-Man doesn't have a lot of action in it or Marvel aren't too concerned about the action.
    Motthus wrote: »
    I still get the feeling that Marvel will end up going back to Edgar Wright and begging him to direct Ant Man!

That was what I was wondering, but that would presumably have to involve Marvel (or rumoured Disney executives) admitting they made a bad call and reverting back to Edgar's preferred script. I can't see either Kevin Feige or Disney publicly eating humble pie, I think there's too many egos at play for them to do that. (I could see Disney trying to force Kevin Feige to take the blame, but he doesn't come across as someone takes shit like that, so I don't think he'd do it either.)
    Forum Member
    I thought Kevin Feige wanted Edgar Wright to stay on Ant Man but it was Disney who wanted the changes to the script
    Forum Member
    I thought Kevin Feige wanted Edgar Wright to stay on Ant Man but it was Disney who wanted the changes to the script

Yes, but if they try and get Edgar Wright back, somebody will presumably have to admit defeat and apologise to him, I can't see Disney talking the blame for the rewrite. I think they'd try and push the blame on to somebody else, Feige being the only candidate...
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but if they try and get Edgar Wright back, somebody will presumably have to admit defeat and apologise to him, I can't see Disney talking the blame for the rewrite. I think they'd try and push the blame on to somebody else, Feige being the only candidate...

They would have far more respect from me if they did
    Forum Member
    Marvel have confirmed that Peyton Reed has joined Ant Man as the new director and Adam McKay has joined as well as writer!
    Forum Member
    Marvel have confirmed that Peyton Reed has joined Ant Man as the new director and Adam McKay has joined as well as writer!

And in one forum post they've lost me. Don't know a lot about Peyton Reed, but Adam McKay is not a good sign. I like some of Adam McKay's work, but I can't see him being a good fit for a Marvel film. This makes me wonder if Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish wrote some of weird moderately intelligent comedy and they (Disney) have brought in Adam McKay to try and make it broader and more mainstream, presumably adding a few fart gags in and other lowest common denominator shit for good measure. I like broad silly comedy as much as the next guy, but this does not enthuse me at all, I'd rather have Edgar Wright's film...

In fact, if it's broad stupid comedy they're after, why not just kill Paul Rudd's contract and bring in Adam Sandler?

Although, to be fair, I do feel sorry for Peyton Reed, the film could be brilliant and it'd still be the one that should have been Edgar Wright's, he doesn't really stand a chance...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in one forum post they've lost me. Don't know a lot about Peyton Reed, but Adam McKay is not a good sign. I like some of Adam McKay's work, but I can't see him being a good fit for a Marvel film. This makes me wonder if Edgar Wright wrote a moderately intelligent comedy and they've brought Adam McKay in to try and make it broader, presumably add a few fart gags and other lowest common denominator shit. I like broad silly comedy as much as the next guy, but this does not enthuse me at all...

In fact, if it's broad stupid comedy they're after, why not just kill Paul Rudd's contract and bring in Adam Sandler?

well Paul Rudd worked with Adam McKay on Anchorman,but i agree my interest in this film has nose dived
    Forum Member
    well Paul Rudd worked with Adam McKay on Anchorman,but i agree my interest in this film has nose dived

I know, the Sandler comment was a joke. I like Paul Rudd, and I do like the Adam McKay comedies. I just don't want to see an Adam McKay superhero film, especially not at the expense of an Edgar Wright superhero film. And I know I should assess the proposal on it's own merits, but it's hard to avoid the fact Edgar Wright could have done something really cool but has instead been replaced...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, the Sandler comment was kidding. I like Paul Rudd, and I do like the Adam McKay comedies. I just don't want to see an Adam McKay superhero film, especially not at the expense of an Edgar Wright superhero film. And I know I should assess the proposal on it's own merits, but it's hard to avoid the fact Edgar Wright could have done something really cool but has instead been replaced...

totally agree with you,when they announced James Gunn and Edgar Wright doing Guardians and Ant Man i was totally happy as i love both of their work,i enjoyed Anchorman but i wouldn't say im a massive fan,i reserve judgement on seeing the film but at the moment im not sold
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't have been the only one who read the DS article - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a576193/peyton-reed-replaces-edgar-wright-as-ant-man-director.html - and went Peyton Reed, wait who?!?! What?!

Never heard of the guy and looking at his filmography he's directed Bring It On (2000), Down With Love (2003), The Break-Up (2006), Yes Man (2008) and a few episodes of sitcom New Girl. Right, ok. The last feature film he directed was in 2008. So apparently the reason he got the gig is because he's known to Marvel from around 2002 when he was in talks to make a Fantastic Four movie, but things didn't work out. Looking at the films he's made so far none of them really inspire confidence that's he's the right man for the job time will tell though.

What's more baffling is hiring Adam McKay to help 'rewrite' the script. So does that mean they're wanting to make Antman more comedic? Was Edgar Wright's Antman less funny and more serious in tone? God knows how this is going to turn out. Filming starts in a number of weeks.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bring it on was great so i am sure this will be a hit!

in all seriousness why does wright have such a cult following? is it because hes english and did the simon pegg films? is it all down to patriotism?

also how is micheal douglas in this? he was in CA 2 as a bad guy. or have i read a incorrect article?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »

in all seriousness why does wright have such a cult following? is it because hes english and did the simon pegg films? is it all down to patriotism?

also how is micheal douglas in this? he was in CA 2 as a bad guy. or have i read a incorrect article?

incorrect article ,that was Robert Redford
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    incorrect article ,that was Robert Redford

ah cool, was thinking it made no sense.

not a huge fan of antman so not too fussed right now, will judge when film comes out.
  • AraelGrayAraelGray Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

I havent seen Cap 2 yet, but I think you're thinking of Robert Redford.

And the thing about Wright is that Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were genius. That's why he's so respected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone seen the tweet from Simon Pegg? I wonder if Edgar Wright's script is going to 'leak' any time soon? Lol.
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Anyone seen the tweet from Simon Pegg? I wonder if Edgar Wright's script is going to 'leak' any time soon? Lol.

This one?
    Feel lucky that I got to read @EdgarWright and Joe Cornish’s Ant-Man script. Daring, fun, funny and hugely exciting. Shame we won’t see it.

That very heavily suggests script rewrites were the issue, it does make it more likely that the script will leak.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    If the rewrite suggestion is true, Wright walked because Marvel/Disney/whoever altered his vision too much, which would imply we're going to get the usual "bland but enjoyable" Marvel fare, and that's why people are disappointed, because it could have been really exciting, weird and enjoyable, and now it probably won't be...
    On the other hand, don't rule out the possibility that Marvel made the right decision, regardless of reason. Time will tell of course, but the assumption that Wright's 'vision' was always going to be superior is something of a conceit.

BIB - that was always the problem. I said long ago that the Marvel film-world would lead to some very vanilla film-making due to them all having to sit with other, as it were. Most of the directors they've chosen so far could've directed each others scripts and produced fairly similar results.
    That's very possible, but aren't Marvel themselves becoming quite the ruthless corporation too? That Fantastic Four story...

Btw - how much money does Marvel make on the films compared to their printed output?
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pardon my mega-ignorance. I know nothing about the character but Ant-Man - the actual character's name - sounds ridiculously naff. I suppose all the other cool superhero names had been taken by the time the creator came up with the character. But wow, sure sounds crappy! :D I can't wait for the sequel:

Ant-Man vs Daddy-Longlegs Man

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, Marvel have hired a new writing duo to rewrite the script for Antman last revised by Adam McKay.

Recently they've done a draft of Sabrina The Teenage Witch movie for Sony which apparently is what impressed Marvel to offer the writers the gig. Interesting.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Pardon my mega-ignorance. I know nothing about the character but Ant-Man - the actual character's name - sounds ridiculously naff.

Right well...

in layman terms, the original Ant-Man was Dr. Henry 'Hank' Pym [Michael Douglas] who invented / discovered the self titled pym particles. These allowed Pym to manipulate his size down to microscopic levels.
    Whilst at microscopic levels, Pym retained all his human size strength. So although, he has no super strength perse; at "ant size" proportions he would still be able to fight another person but his opponent would probably have no idea where Pym was. Kind of like fighting a fly but the fly being able to punch back with equal strength to you!

He also developed a helmet which he wore as part of his costume, which allowed him communication with ants and other insects. Which obviously he could use to use Earth's insect population as personal spies or in battle, if needed. Fisticuffs at dawn... followed by support from a swarm of bees et al.

He also had a partner called Janet van Dyne (who he eventually married) she also used the pym particles in a similar fashion but went by the name of Wasp as she carried wrist gauntlets that were firearms which she called her 'stingers' and her costume had a set of 'wings' which allowed her to fly.
    They split though, because Pym was bipolar and was abusive to Janet. Even though they split, they still remained friends and colleagues as Avengers.

Pym, then found that the particles could be manipulated in reverse. Making him... go on, have a guess... yep, Giant Man! Only this time, his strength increased as a means of supporting his increased body mass. So depending on the writer, this allowed him the ability to even give the Hulk (or as depicted in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon the Abomination) a beating.

Then, disillusioned by the aggressive acts the Avengers usually committed, Pym left and stopped being Ant-Man altogether.
    This is where Scott Lang [Paul Rudd] comes in. He was a petty crook who stole Pym's equipment because a crime boss had kidnapped his daughter and coerced Lang into doing some work for him in order to get his daughter back. Lang saw the error of his ways and as they usually do in stories, eventually became an Avenger too.

Somewhere down the line, Pym then becomes Yellowjacket as Lang continues to be Ant-Man. More or less a male version of Wasp including a spanking new black and yellow costume :D

And that's more or less it. Apologies if my summary's not totally accurate, but my only exposure to the character is from the rather excellent animated series Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes but from what I've read, that series is pretty close to source material.

Now how all this plays out in the film will be interesting given all the kerfuffles; and how they explain their characters absences from the Avengers when Pym and van Dyne were two founding members.

For a more detailed comic based biography have a look here. Ant-Man
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    This film has piqued my interest
    Forum Member
    The Ant Man teaser trailer is online this week and there is a preview available online for it now!