Options

Stephen Fry shocks by claiming women don't really like sex

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    pinknews has direct quotes from the Attitude interview which do not - imo - suggest 'misinterpretation' to me - just Stephen refusing to take responsibility for what he said.

He said: “I think most straight men feel they disgust women. They find it difficult to believe that women are as interested in sex as they are. For good reason. If women liked sex as much as men there would be straight cruising areas in the way there are gay cruising areas.

“I feel sorry for straight men. The only reason women will have sex with them is that sex is the price they are willing to pay for a relationship with a man, which is what they want. They want a boyfriend and then they want commitment.

“Of course a lot of women will deny this and say, ‘Oh, no, but I love sex, I love it!’ But do they go around having it the way that gay men do?

Yes, it doesn't seem as though much has been misquoted. The part about women only having sex to sustain a relationship particular annoyed me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He already gave an interview saying EXACTLY the same thing

http://youtu.be/A211L382EVI
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He sounds really stupid to be honest and this is from someone who did admire him. The reason why gay men have 'cruising areas' is because they have a much slimmer pick of men, might be hiding their sexuality for various reasons and need to have specific places to gather, although, in my generation, such things are becoming more and more obsolete, so he is completely generalising there. To be blunt, women can get dick from anywhere. There are speciifc sex phenomenons primarily involving women though... dogging and swinging clubs are two examples, as Radiomaniac said, and also cultural phenomenons like the mile high club which gay men aren't really associated with.

I think he's beginning to sound like the stereotype of the nasty old former closet case who has a newfound 'love' of 'men' and blames women for everything.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Yes, it doesn't seem as though much has been misquoted. The part about women only having sex to sustain a relationship particular annoyed me.

Yes, like we're so one-dimensional! Very insulting. Plus what comes across as his total lack of insight into the way straight males are and think! At best it's desperately naive, and at worst, the views of a self-absorbed idiot.

Possibly what happened is that he felt he could make comments like to Attitude, a gay magazine where his views may not be that uncommon and where maybe a lot of gay men will have not dissimilar views to him? Maybe.... I can kind of see where he's coming from in a couple of respects but he really has made himself look like a complete ass here with his sweeping generalisations.

I do like him but he needs to get a grip on reality.
  • Options
    Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    It's hard not to make assumption from these rather strong views, but I would like to read the original article first. If anyone spots it online or anything please post.

You can't read it online, but I'd imagine anything quoted in other pieces is exactly what appears in the Attitude article.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he is very insulting and I am really going off him.

but i suppose he is entitled to his oppinion.

he can think what he likes, but he is mistaken. things are not as simple as he makes out. he says men like sex, women just put up with it. that is utter bullshit. how would he know the ins and outs of a heterosexual relationship, he's never been in one, not a meaningful one any way.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like him, but he's overexposed. I am afraid to open a fridge now because he could jump out of it fiddling with his apple toys :eek: :D
  • Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think alot of gay men feel sorry about straight men and women holding them to randsome with sex.

They are not as freewheeling as gay men or straight men would like to be.

Fact of life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »

Skimming through that piece, the disputed bit is a very small part of the article, but as it's the most controversial, it's going to get picked up on.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »

Thank you, Happy Tree. :)

It's a really nice interview but... no misinterpretation whatsoever. His words, he said them. It doesn't matter that they represent only a tiny part of the interview, he needs to own them and stop acting all wounded and betrayed and hard done by!

All he really needs to do is acknowledge that he DID say these things about women and straight men and that, retrospectively, he was what's called talking through his arse on the subject of heterosexual relationships. He is entitled to his views of course, but must expect when they're this ridiculous and ill thought through, that people will call him on it.

But he sounds really happy and I'm glad for him. :)
  • Options
    halfbiscuithalfbiscuit Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Perhaps we can stop referring to this pompous tosser as a genius now. :yawn:
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would strongly suggest this is one department that Mr Intellectual knows very little about.

He is, on the whole, a pompous witterer gifted with unlimited airtime just because he is 'Mr Stephen Fry'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Do women really like sex though? I mean an ejaculation orgasm is very pleasurable to the male of the species, but females don't have anything similar, meaning the pleasure of sex is really just a male thing.

man someone needs to practice more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I would strongly suggest this is one department that Mr Intellectual knows very little about.

another is F1 - he thought the Chinese grand prix was in Beijing

FOOL!
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member

+1. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Do women really like sex though? I mean an ejaculation orgasm is very pleasurable to the male of the species, but females don't have anything similar, meaning the pleasure of sex is really just a male thing.

You've got to be kidding. With the right spots hit, women can have multiple orgasms, men would kill for that!
    parthy wrote: »
    The misogynists are coming out the woodwork on this thread, I see. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's misogyny, just some very confused males!!

Stephen is normally a very intelligent man. I hope he HAS been misquoted because otherwise, what he's said has made him look like some dim-witted gay man who knows nothing about either straight men or straight women.

As for this cruising lark, it's a disgusting habit that some gay men have, hanging around toilets looking for sex is just gross.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What he fails to understand is just because you don't enjoy anonymous sex with strangers in parks doesn't mean you don't like sex.
    I enjoy sex but usually with men that I know and like as a person. Women don't just put up with sex to get a relationship. They do enjoy sex in the context of their relationship. If I met a guy and he said I want to get married or have a relationship with you, but we will not have sex or very rarely have sex that wouldn't work for me at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    What he fails to understand is just because you don't enjoy anonymous sex with strangers in parks doesn't mean you don't like sex.
    I enjoy sex but usually with men that I know and like as a person. Women don't just put up with sex to get a relationship. They do enjoy sex in the context of their relationship. If I met a guy and he said I want to get married or have a relationship with you, but we will not have sex or very rarely have sex that wouldn't work for me at all.

Me neither.

Most women know what it's like when HE wants sex and you'd just rather put your feet up and read the newspaper, but to suggest that women ONLY have sex to keep men in a relationship is outrageous! Stephen seems to think (potentially) that women don't like sex at all when plenty of us do. There are those who don't like it or who have very low sex drives, but there are women who have high sex drives and others whose sex drives are perfectly normal. I love sex and with the right person, I like lots of it. I've never had any complaints from my men that they can't "get it" off me or that I never "want it." Stephen's made a sweeping generalisation about women.....unless he's been misquoted. And I hope he has been.
  • Options
    sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still love him,I don't care what he has said.

In one of his books he says exactly the same thing, no one made a fuss about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sands11 wrote: »
    I still love him,I don't care what he has said.

In one of his books he says exactly the same thing, no one made a fuss about that.

If he said the same thing in one of his books, then he hasn't been misquoted. He is therefore talking guff. Since he obviously knows so little about the female sex drive, it might be best for him to keep his beak shut about it in future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd how he's just brought this spoof diary out written by a 'wife' he's had hidden whilst 'pretending' to be gay.

I'm getting it off a bookswap site and now I feel I want to throw it in the bin when it gets here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a man with alot of mental issues that need dealing with professionally IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Novaman wrote: »
    He is a man with alot of mental issues that need dealing with professionally IMO.

He has bipolar disorder, which has been very well publicised, so I've no doubt he's getting professional help for that.

It's his attitudes towards female sexuality that need some adjusting.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Dear Stephen,

I have been interested in erotica since I was 13. I am female. That is all.

Sincerely,

Parthy
This discussion has been closed.