Options

Eastenders - Kat Moon *Spoiler*

Comments

• Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    What a selfish stupid move. For someone who was only just professing her love for her boys she has just proved she obviously doesn't care about them.*
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a selfish stupid move. For someone who was only just professing her love for her boys she has just proved she obviously doesn't care about them.*
    I don't agree. So yes, suicide is selfish, it's the people left behind who suffer as the person who died knows nothing about it being dead and that.

But for someone to attempt to end their life, they would be going through some severe mental traumas to decide suicide is the only solution.

I would imagine Kat will feel her boys are better off without her. Once you take away her kids, there's not really a lot at the moment for Kat to hold on to. I'm just assuming that re the boys, but it could explain why she decides to end it all and in a twisted way in her head, showing how much she does care for the boys.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What an ignorant view of suicide.

Kat has been through so much this past year. Her past being dredged up again is literally pushing her to the brink. People can find themselves in very dark places where they see no way out. She probably thinks her boys will be better off without her. To attempt it in the first place means that she isn't thinking straight. It is not selfish, its a mental illness. We've already seen the effect it has been having on her.

Suicide is still pretty taboo and isn't tackled enough in soap. I applaud EastEnders for continuing to tackle such gritty and important issues. I just hope this is not Jessie's leaving line.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure Jessie will do the story justice but we've been here before with Kat, DTC I wish you'd move forward with Kat. This is just a plot device to get her back with frigging Alfie ffs.
  • Options
    mrroromrroro Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    KBambi wrote: »
    #EastEnders #exclusive @DailyStarSunday Kat Moon takes overdose in suicide bid. Massive storyline @JessieWallaceUK

https://twitter.com/SuseHill/status/579416800137465856

Has Kat not done this before or am I imagining things?
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrroro wrote: »
    Has Kat not done this before or am I imagining things?

Yes she has done it before
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She already did this before after it came out about Zoe,Dominic Treadwell Collins really has run out of ideas first repeating Phil getting shot then repeating what kats done before Yawn

I'll tell you whats boring, your repetitive comments trying to throw digs at DTC
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Why is she going to try ending her life? Mo has just bought her a load of clothes to sell. What's going to happen within the next month that's going to make her want to end her life so badly?

She's not in the spoilers for the next couple of weeks, either, so that's a two-week build-up. Unimpressive.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Why is she going to try ending her life? Mo has just bought her a load of clothes to sell. What's going to happen within the next month that's going to make her want to end her life so badly?

She's not in the spoilers for the next couple of weeks, either, so that's a two-week build-up. Unimpressive.

She's in the spoilers next week and appears this week:p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. Kat tries to attempt suicide almost 15 years ago now and I never witnessed it, so it doesn't bother me so much that they're revisiting it. I wouldn't say it's a plain copy, as it's obviously going to come from somewhere.

However, I agree Kat is going round in circles a bit and after this, I think it would be a great time for Kat to pull her life together and now have to endure so much misery. I hope we get some Slater's back permanently soon and we can have the Slater's return to number 23. They're one of my favourite families:p. Kat and the rest of them deserve big storylines, but they need improving as a unit first IMO.

Either way, Jessie Wallace is a fantastic actress, and will hopefully do this justice!
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    lou_123 wrote: »
    She's in the spoilers next week and appears this week:p.

Really? Oh! I haven't seen her name anywhere. :p Ignore me.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    This sounds like a brilliant storyline, and Jessie will be great through out it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    What an ignorant view of suicide.

Kat has been through so much this past year. Her past being dredged up again is literally pushing her to the brink. People can find themselves in very dark places where they see no way out. She probably thinks her boys will be better off without her. To attempt it in the first place means that she isn't thinking straight. It is not selfish, its a mental illness. We've already seen the effect it has been having on her.

Suicide is still pretty taboo and isn't tackled enough in soap. I applaud EastEnders for continuing to tackle such gritty and important issues. I just hope this is not Jessie's leaving line.

How dare you call my view ignorant ! Firstly it's NOT a view on suicide. I'm very educated on the issue thank you very much. It's a view on Kat wanting to commit suicide. Only a couple of weeks ago after being shunned by Zoe, did she realise that her sons were worth carrying on for, but all of a sudden here comes this news about her wanting to kill herself?

Nobody has yet seen what happens to Kat in the lead up to her suicide attempt, so we can't comment on that. But in my opinion, with what we have seen from Kat so far, I don't believe that she is someone who is about to commit suicide.

That's my opinion and I would prefer you didn't jump down my throat for having one.
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the people moaning 'it's been done before'

Do you really think people who try to commit suicide once won't try again? It's good continuity if anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dare you call my view ignorant ! Firstly it's NOT a view on suicide. I'm very educated on the issue thank you very much. It's a view on Kat wanting to commit suicide. Only a couple of weeks ago after being shunned by Zoe, did she realise that her sons were worth carrying on for, but all of a sudden here comes this news about her wanting to kill herself?

Which, I'm sorry, is a slightly ignorant view of mental health...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DODS11 wrote: »
    Which, I'm sorry, is a slightly ignorant view of mental health...

Yeah you're right. After reading your lengthy reasoning as to why you believe it's an ignorant view on mental health. I'm totally swayed. -_-
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »

I agree with this. Attempted suicide/suicide is not selfish, it is often carried out as a result of utter despair and desperation. It is a human reaction to intense pain, not a selfish one and a decision that is often made when not thinking clearly or when someone is not in their right state of mind. It is a mental illness and is a very taboo subject in general.. If carried out well, this could help raise awareness.
  • Options
    Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good - I think this may be the low point she needs to hit for her to finally get the psychological help she needs. I hope she finally gets it - she's been suffering too long.

As for her attempting it before - that's true, but sadly the issues that led to her attempting it before were never really addressed fully, so it is realistic that she would attempt it again. Unfortunately, multiple suicide attempts are not uncommon.

Completely agree with this. She never got the help she needed to help with the abuse. At 13 she was confused, when she attempted suicide last time, that's when help should have happened. So I am glad they are re addressing this because unless you have proper counselling, you don't know how to deal with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah you're right. After reading your lengthy reasoning as to why you believe it's an ignorant view on mental health. I'm totally swayed. -_-

Okay. Mental health is a very fragile thing. Yes, Kat did say she had her boys and that that would keep her going but it' s never going to be enough to stop her mental health's fragility. All it takes is one stone to smash through - it's not selfish, it's not the person who wants to stay strong for her boys - it's a persistent traumatic experience that can be triggered by the slightest thing.

Very little attempts at suicide are done for purely selfish reasonings, they are done out of defeat. And in Kat's case, her abuse, her failed relationship, her scars, her interrupted motherhood, her own daughter shunning her - the world appears to be against her and all those stones break through that facade of staying strong for her kids She is defeated by her demons and therefore suicide is a way to end it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay. Mental health is a very fragile thing. Yes, Kat did say she had her boys and that that would keep her going but it' s never going to be enough to stop her mental health's fragility. All it takes is one stone to smash through - it's not selfish, it's not the person who wants to stay strong for her boys - it's a persistent traumatic experience that can be triggered by the slightest thing.

Very little attempts at suicide are done for purely selfish reasonings, they are done out of defeat. And in Kat's case, her abuse, her failed relationship, her scars, her interrupted motherhood, her own daughter shunning her - the world appears to be against her and all those stones break through that facade of staying strong for her kids She is defeated by her demons and therefore suicide is a way to end it.

Thank you for elucidating. :)

You make great points and I agree with most of them. Suicide is not selfish - there's no denying that. However I don't believe that suicidal thoughts are truly reflective of Kat's mental state and character at the moment. I don't see how she would come to the conclusion that this is the best way to deal with her pain. She's been here before and she got through it. She has family around her that are desperate to help her, but she pushes them away, she insists on being a single parent and she herself has realised that she must carry on for the sake of her sons, but now she wants to take her own life and deprive her kids of a mother and Tommy of both a mother AND father.

I will wait to pass judgement, but so far I am not impressed with this storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the people moaning 'it's been done before'

Do you really think people who try to commit suicide once won't try again? It's good continuity if anything.

I agree with this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for elucidating. :)

You make great points and I agree with most of them. Suicide is not selfish - there's no denying that. However I don't believe that suicidal thoughts are truly reflective of Kat's mental state and character at the moment. I don't see how she would come to the conclusion that this is the best way to deal with her pain. She's been here before and she got through it. She has family around her that are desperate to help her, but she pushes them away, she insists on being a single parent and she herself has realised that she must carry on for the sake of her sons, but now she wants to take her own life and deprive her kids of a mother and Tommy of both a mother AND father.

I will wait to pass judgement, but so far I am not impressed with this storyline.

I think this will be Kat's turning point, which could lead to the recovery of her character IMO. She needs friends, family and to be put back in the Slater's house. Kat is too plot driven, rather than character driven these days!:(.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know how some journalists get to write for national newspapers when they clearly don't watch the show or pay attention to the pictures they're posting. That nun isn't June Whitfield, she is much older. Also Kats twins are not called Eric and Ernie.

I bet some school children could write more accurate articles