Options

Passports (UK)

JohnVBJohnVB Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody used the Post Office Passport service? I was advised to for the extra £10 or whatever it was but didn't in the end. If so, how did you find it? A good value service or happier to do it yourself in future?

Has anybody made mistakes on their application and had their forms or application delayed due to a mistake? What are obvious mistakes?

How long have people found it has taken for their passports to arrive after finalising their part of the process?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are terrible with forms then the Post Office checking service gives you an extra assurance that all the documentation is present and correct. Passports come pretty quickly nowdays, well within the quoted time. Mine took about a week.

My other half did her's herself and had it returned because though the person counter signing had known her for more than 2 years, she hadn't twigged that it musn't be a relation!
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to re-do both mine and my sisters passports last year about three times as I had made mistakes like sign in a box that said to do so and that my hair was to much out I the frame. I got it checked twice but they charged me for one check and I got my passport within a week.
    I think it's well worth the extra money especially as it's a document that is going to last for ten years.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I paid the extra and the passport arrived 12 days later, Was worth the extra money to make sure when it went it was all correct
  • Options
    Merkin ParadeMerkin Parade Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I renewed mine recently using the online service. You just enter the relevant details & they send it to you with the details printed on so all you have to do is get it countersigned, pop in the photos & cheque & then sign it. I got it back within 7 working days & that was without the post office checking service. That was back in March though, apparently it takes a bit longer closer to summer.
  • Options
    KnightonKnighton Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used the Post Office service for mine and they didn't find any problems. Not saying I'm a smart-arse or anything but as such I can't say whether or not it was value for money. I guess if someone is prone to making mistakes or they need a passport in a hurry then it could be a good idea but generally if you have experience of the laborious task of filling out government forms and without going over the fine print with a magnifying glass as well as getting it checked over by 2 barristers then you'll probably be ok.

4 weeks later I had an interview as it was my first adult passport. In case this applies to you I'll give you a basic run-down, it was very laid-back (I was expecting it to be very formal and 'government') and basically the guy has all the info from your application on a screen in front of him as well as all the information the government already has on you, such as where you've lived in the past, when you had a driving licence, who lives with you etc etc.

He (she) will have a chat with you about your past and ask questions to ensure your 'story' matches up with what they've got. If it helps one of the things he asked me was whether I'd been out of the country before and if so where the last place was. Not only was I able to tell him where but also the actual dates I was there for which I think impressed him. He did try to casually catch me out though, for example asking how far I'd come to get there that day - he had my address in front of him so he'd have already known but again he needed to make sure I was the person on the application - and how long the drive had taken me.

At the end he told me he was happy to write up a report approving me for a passport and it was all down to the postal service. The appointment was on a Thursday and my passport arrived on the following Tuesday by signed-for delivery.

Apologies for waffling on if this doesn't apply to you but when I was going through the process I'd have killed for someone to have explained what happens like that ;)
  • Options
    squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never used the post office service and have never had any of mine or my kids applications returned all always sorted in about 10 days from sending to receiving the new passport.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Just used them for 4 passports, 2 were new. Passports were returned within 4 weeks.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the passport forms are some of the easiest and most clear forms I've come across. I wouldn't consider using the Post Office to check it because it's so easy.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,926
    Forum Member
    Unless you are in a real hurry then you'd be a fool to use the Post Office. The forms are pretty easy and if you make a mistake it will just come back and you do it again.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used the Post Office checking service, but unfortunately the application was returned as my photographs were not accepted....I had my mouth slightly open in one photo :o...the Post Office refunded my fee. I sent off my own second application.

Pay attention to the rules on what is acceptable and not acceptable regarding photographs.