Doctor Who: "Start Your Recorder Now!"

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not a complaint, just a query...

why are the BBC suddenly helping people to (technically) pirate their copyrighted material?! Especially when there's a DVD coming out...

I know everyone does it, but it seems odd to introduce each programme this way :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because recording programs off the TV isn't piracy. It's perfectly legal so long as you don't sell or buy the recordings afterward.
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    What I felt was a bit odd about it is the annoucement was something like "set your box to record the whole series" implying a Sky+ series link type thing.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I felt was a bit odd about it is the annoucement was something like "set your box to record the whole series" implying a Sky+ series link type thing.
    Well, Sky+ is a fact of life, as is Serieslink for Freeview. Even my Toppy pvr can bet set with control timers to effectively record any DW programme on BBC1 on a Saturday (regardless of time). You can't ignore what is now a fact of life, which is still legal as described earlier.
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because they keep on changing the times of broadcast, so they say set to record the whole series so you don't miss anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I noticed that too!

I'm sure there's something more significant to it, as the announcer has said it every week thus far.

Perhaps they want people to be able to go back and re-watch an episode (or episodes) at some point? After all, RTD knows we're sat here trying to figure out the significance of every episode to the story arc, so why not use the episodes to tell the story in a different way (depending on how you view them)?

Of course, I could be entirely wrong...! :rolleyes:
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nuallain wrote:
    Because recording programs off the TV isn't piracy. It's perfectly legal so long as you don't sell or buy the recordings afterward.

Not if you keep the recordings. It's only legal for time-shifting purposes, always has been.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it - I'm recording the series for my girlfriend who is away until Christmas - but it just seems really odd to say it as part of the continuity.

They say "Start your recorder now", as if you're poised with your finger on record... anyone with a PVR would have set the recording automatically and doesn't need to be told to start it, whether they set a single programme or a whole series.

So either it's for PVR owners and a completely stupid thing to say, or it's for DVD and VHS owners and quite odd. We've been recording TV at home for 25 years, I've never heard anything like it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably saying it because they've been changing the starting time of the show every bloody week.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's to keep the ratings up surely? No other reason
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But since you have to be watching in order to hear them say "Start your recorder now", you will know it's on at a different time.

Don't see how it affects ratings?
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but you might miss it in future weeks...
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we are supposed to record so we can go back over it - anyone remember:

"The Adam and Joe Show is a High Density Broadcast. Start taping now!"

Though the A&J show was a bit more obviously in need of recording.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Er I thought it was because the BBC voiceover wasn't actually introducing Doctor Who, he was introducing the traffic report with Sally Calypso. People might have thought that Doctor Who would start after it, when in fact it was just a stylised intro into DW. I thought it was just so people wouldn't miss the beginning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er I thought it was because the BBC voiceover wasn't actually introducing Doctor Who, he was introducing the traffic report with Sally Calypso. People might have thought that Doctor Who would start after it, when in fact it was just a stylised intro into DW. I thought it was just so people wouldn't miss the beginning.

i wonder how many people actually flicked off when the heard it was a traffic report. lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but usually before shows they say 'and now...' so therefore they would have realised there is not a traffic report :-)
    i mean, i record most things on my freeview box and then delete if i will not rewatch or keep and transfer onto computer for future watching, does not mean i will not buy the dvd.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they are just happy for you to watch the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except they've introduced all three episodes so far in the same way. Including before the first episode, telling viewers they should record and keep the whole lot!

Wonder if there's a spat between BBC One and BBC Worldwide?!
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote:

So either it's for PVR owners and a completely stupid thing to say, or it's for DVD and VHS owners and quite odd. We've been recording TV at home for 25 years, I've never heard anything like it...

I wouldn't mind if someone reminded me to tape stuff... I'm useless with technology and I've got a head like a sieve... handy reminder so I don't get yelled at by people I was supposed to record stuff for! :D Yay for voiceover man!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    The voiceover always say that before Doctor Who comes on its a bit annoying because we can buy the whole series on DVD :p:D
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diva queen wrote:
    The voiceover always say that before Doctor Who comes on its a bit annoying because we can buy the whole series on DVD :p:D
    Continuity Announcer is the right term.. ;):p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    **double post**
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    why are the BBC suddenly helping people to (technically) pirate their copyrighted material?!

*FACEPALM*

Well it looks like someone had swallowed the propaganda from the likes of the RIAA and MPAA hook line and sinker.

I bet you think this is real too.

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't think there's anything to read into this!

It's someone introducing a programme, it's just quite a punchy intro to a very popular show that's all.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    Not a complaint, just a query...

why are the BBC suddenly helping people to (technically) pirate their copyrighted material?! Especially when there's a DVD coming out...

I know everyone does it, but it seems odd to introduce each programme this way :confused:

They don't say that on bbc 1 wales, they say "now, doctor who made in wales, by bbc wales".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't say that on bbc 1 wales, they say "now, doctor who made in wales, by bbc wales".
    I'm pretty certain that they don't do that any more - unless I haven't been listening closely enough.