BBC Scotland Hogmany coverage - is it any good?

2»

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    "Inspector? Like, on the buses?"

It's a tough gig to broadcast at the bells and trying to cater for everyone including those who like the traditional music to those who prefer something a bit more up to date.

I have mentioned before the local family who wondered why all their neighbours were celebrating midnight early then realised they had paused their TV whilst someone was our filling the coal bucket.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,622
    Forum Member
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    BBC Alba has by far the best TV on Hogmanay. It is perfect for anyone who is a fan of Scottish music. On the other hand, if you think the multi-award winning Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain are "a couple of clowns" then it's not the show for you!

We've been watching this for a few years now and the music is generally fantastic. Afraid I'm not a fan of the sort of stuff Jools Holland usually presents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    The last memorable STV show I remember was supposedly set at a party in the flat of actor James MacPherson (from Taggart); the action wandered from room to room taking in whatever musician or comedian had turned up to the party. It ended IIRC with Mark Mcmanus, Taggart himself, turning up to complain about the noise and joining in the festivities.

And that show is on You Tube along with a few more of STV's Hogmanay shows from their archives including one from 1957....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK2RS1f9k98
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Hi all. Didn't expect there to be so many responses to my question: thanks. It sounds as if a DVD will be the order of the evening then...or I may try and gatecrash a house party!

Some of the comments about Hogmanay and Scotland remind me of when I went to Ireland. People seem to think that there are bands with penny whistles playing in every pub. It'd be more 1D not 'fiddle-de-dee' - much to some people's disappointment. :)
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Pity that BBC Scotland don't repeat a whole Rikki Fulton programme each year.

Being honest I think they should consider this - ok it might not fit in with say "1990" to bring in say 2015 but if they can repeat Chewin The Fat on Hogmanay I can't see why not in doing the Rev I M Jolly again pretty sure it would get older fans and new fans to see it again, I am aware there is some up youtube though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it may not be up to much these days but at least its better than the trash ch.4 is serving up with alan carr.switching the tv off and watching a blank screen would be preferable to anything he is in.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    it may not be up to much these days but at least its better than the trash ch.4 is serving up with alan carr.switching the tv off and watching a blank screen would be preferable to anything he is in.

Sitting staring at a radio that is turned off would be preferable to watching Carr (either of them).
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    EDIT: Pity BBC Scotland can't repeat the Reverend I M Jolly, watched his last couple before Ricky Fulton passed .... the Reverend drunk before the bells was in stitches!

"'scuse me, I think I can feel a wee prayer coming on..."
    lundavra wrote: »
    Sitting staring at a radio that is turned off would be preferable to watching Carr (either of them).

I can't argue with you there. Just got my TV listings today and I see BBC England get Graham Norton followed by Gary Barlow interrupted for 15 minutes for the fireworks. Border seem to get Vicious, the news at 11:45pm followed by Waterworld.

I'll probably have BBC Scotland (or maybe Alba) on in the background while pottering about on here.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's really quite dire, a total chore to watch. All tartan and boring Celtic songs, perpetuating the same old tired stereotypes.