Options

The Jedward Appreciation Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    AgeOfParanoiaAgeOfParanoia Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming that the tv appearances are for the $ and not the 'we're musicians' profile. I guess it's all good in that it does maintain their presence in the UK media, albeit as bouncy clowns, but hey.

Are they really 'touring' w/ the Face of Ireland thingy? That doesn't sound very auspicious.

The Mac Music Tour looks legit... it would probably be good to participate, if asked. At least it's about music. :)

I guess the twins need to decide whether they are fish or fowl... it looks to me like they're somewhere in between right now... which usually doesn't work out very well.

To expand their fan base, J&E are going to have to have a hit. That's probably not going to happen in the Irish and UK markets due to their brand. I would seriously recommend they move to the States and try to get something going here. I know that's scary... but it's better to go all-in and miss than sit around in a small country waiting for the world to come to you.

Another good thing about moving to the States, LA or Nashville for example, is that you're surrounded by very talented artists who are constantly performing in small venues... you can get a lot of ideas from these artists. Just going to quality art exhibitions is a great way to get ideas.

It seems the Irish music scene is controlled by a handful of people who can pick & choose who's in and who's out. I suggest leaving that environment... J&E can always come back if things don't work out for them elsewhere... but at least they tried.
  • Options
    Who Am I?Who Am I? Posts: 20,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not entirely sure how participating in a charity quiz such as Pointless Celebrities or learning a new skill such as acrobatics or mime would show them as 'bouncy clowns'. It's difficult to judge on the latter until we've seen the format of the show.

I agree that a trip to Nashville or Memphis to soak up the music, given it's rich history, wouldn't hurt nor would leaving Ireland.
  • Options
    dechechodechecho Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dechecho wrote: »

I know, right? Americans, all 316 m., are incredibly stupid and should refrain from discussing anything that happens in Europe...lol... even the careers of Irish pop stars!

I like this comment from the article, "never in my life will i ever meet a people united under the banner of stupidity and ignorance like the Americans. God bless 'Murica". :)

I wonder if the twins will get infected by the stupid-virus if they were to try moving over here. That would be awful! :p:D

Seriously tho'... I do think the twins need to try another strategy. But hey, what do I know?
  • Options
    ScheheraSchehera Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://t.co/MpXaYXcWsQ
    Ferocious charts the second week and is up from no.20 to 15
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And to think we used to take debuting at no. 1 in Ireland for granted.

Their fan base is simply too small these days to generate the type of sales numbers needed to chart. Again, professional assistance is required if one is serious about contending in the market (even a tiny market like Ireland).

I hope J&E don't get discouraged. Now is not the time to wobble, but rather to reassess where one is in reality (not from a fan bubble) and where one wants to be.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/its-ok-to-fail?src=TrueAnth_ESQUIRE_TW&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=cwGbOu&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#!cwGbOu
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pithywitch wrote: »
    And to think we used to take debuting at no. 1 in Ireland for granted.

Their fan base is simply too small these days to generate the type of sales numbers needed to chart. Again, professional assistance is required if one is serious about contending in the market (even a tiny market like Ireland).

I hope J&E don't get discouraged. Now is not the time to wobble, but rather to reassess where one is in reality (not from a fan bubble) and where one wants to be.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/its-ok-to-fail?src=TrueAnth_ESQUIRE_TW&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=cwGbOu&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#!cwGbOu

Although looking at their discography, they haven't debuted at no. 1 since Bad Behaviour in 2011, and only twice before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedward_discography

We could put a positive spin on it and say it's already done better than the peak positions of Young Love (31), Luminous (59 :confused:), and Free Spirit (31).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dechecho wrote: »
    Although looking at their discography, they haven't debuted at no. 1 since Bad Behaviour in 2011, and only twice before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedward_discography

We could put a positive spin on it and say it's already done better than the peak positions of Young Love (31), Luminous (59 :confused:), and Free Spirit (31).

Their label basically pulled the plug when Bad Behaviour didn't do as well as anticipated in the UK charts, so the Yong Love album was a case of contract-fulfillment and pretty much left hanging in the wind. There was absolutely no promo at all by their label.

I don't want to give the impression that I think the twins can't make it as musicians... they certainly can. And I was willing to give the all fan promo a try. And I do actually hope with all my heart that their upcoming album will do well.

The only point I'm making is that our fan base is too small to generate the sales numbers needed for the twins to have real (dare I say international?) success. The problem with the inflated numbers from the fan promo is that while 100's of downloads/physicals can be bought by one fan... that same fan can only fill one seat at a concert.

J&E need more fans of their music, not of their tv persona. That's why I raise my eyebrows a bit when they sign up for the UK shows. If they want to be known as musicians, they need to find a strategy that will not only bring in new (music) fans, but also repair the damage done to their brand by the UK shows they were contracted to do under their previous management.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedward have been confirmed for Childline on 30 November
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello! I'm a long time Jedward fan, but I haven't been on this forum until recently. I used to post on Jedward genius sometimes.... Anyway it was nice to see the boys on TV again on sunday. I wondered if there's been any news on a new CBBC vehicle for them? Or more of 'Jedward's Big Adventure' ? Also I wondered if anyone knows if they're going to be in The Friday Download Movie? Bit of a random question I know, but I've read that most CBBC presenters / Actors / Pop Bands are taking part and there will apparently be a lot of cameos. Thanks:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedward filming Sunday 16 November - Jump Rope UK http://www.applausestore.com/details-book.php?id=30715
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JazzyJaney wrote: »
    Hello! I'm a long time Jedward fan, but I haven't been on this forum until recently. I used to post on Jedward genius sometimes.... Anyway it was nice to see the boys on TV again on sunday. I wondered if there's been any news on a new CBBC vehicle for them? Or more of 'Jedward's Big Adventure' ? Also I wondered if anyone knows if they're going to be in The Friday Download Movie? Bit of a random question I know, but I've read that most CBBC presenters / Actors / Pop Bands are taking part and there will apparently be a lot of cameos. Thanks:D

Hi Janey

Welcome to the thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers to your questions but hopefully we'll find out soon.
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who Am I? wrote: »
    Hi Janey

Welcome to the thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers to your questions but hopefully we'll find out soon.

Thanks! :D I'm sure they'll continue their work on CBBC the show was well received after all. This Circus show thing looks intriguing...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so horrible when a fan tweets an opinion, however innocuous, and the self-designated jed defenders rush in w/ guns a-blazin'.

It's particularly unfortunate when the fan is a non-native English speaker. :(

It's also strange that these same jed defenders are the ones who preach about Jed Love, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oooooo... a UK tour! That's excellent!

The dog asked for recommendations re venues, and I saw some suggestions that sounded very rational/doable... so I'm just going to cut-and-paste them here (if the twitter account has a problem w/ me taking their suggestions, please let me know & I will ask mods to delete this post):

from twitter:

1) for UK tour I'd say do a North -> South sweep of the big cities - Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, London.

2) Don't get distracted by small cities/towns cos you need a Big local population - only the hardcore fans will travel

3) and pick venues you can sell out - make having a ticket to Jedward like a real lucky thing. Don't price too high either.

4) Promote with eye catching Posters as well as local Press ads; do local Radio and press Promo in advance and on the day.

5) And bring merchandise for people to buy!

I would add that a some signings should also be arranged during the tour.

Additionally, J&E need to arrange the cities geographically (like the north-south sweep mentioned above)... don't jump from one end of the map to the other, then back again... this wears out the crew and forces fans to pick-&-choose one concert over another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well... the christmas show was a disappointment for me as a j&e fan... it seemed like there was quite a bit of hype for the twins beforehand & they really weren't on much at all.

I'm also disappointed that they were invited as pseudo presenters and not singers... hats off to LW for getting his new act such a high-profile appearance.

This reminds me of when we used to get so excited when the twins were going to be on xfactor... and each time it ended up as a cameo appearance or some lame interview (the magic trick w/ what's-her-name was hilarious, tho' :)

So now this bait and switch is happening in Ireland. Seriously, after what happened in the charts w/ Ferocious (evidently disqualified due to fan manipulation), I really don't see a path for the twins in their current environment.

If J&E want to keep running up against the same wall, fine. But I really do think they need a change of scenery. Still think LA or Nashville would be good ideas. A fresh start, so to speak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding how many people where at the signings and that the Dublin concert was sold out and the other concerts where also visited well it is for me understandable that Ferocious did chart for 2 weeks (especially because you don´t need many people who buy a song in Ireland to make it chart at no. 20+15)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is quiet here sad what happened to a thread which was here from the start 2009 :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy International Jedward day everyone. (Does anyone know why it's today?)

http://photogrls.com/m/859567236668090549_971692713
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schehera wrote: »
    Regarding how many people where at the signings and that the Dublin concert was sold out and the other concerts where also visited well it is for me understandable that Ferocious did chart for 2 weeks (especially because you don´t need many people who buy a song in Ireland to make it chart at no. 20+15)

Yes, it's certainly understandable that it made the top 20 in Ireland. What's weird is that it disappeared completely from the top 100 the 3rd week. That's impossible and, if I were the twins, I would make some inquiries so the same mistake(s) is/are not repeated with future releases.

Of course, that's just my opinion... I would like to hear about reasons others might have to explain its disappearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schehera wrote: »
    It is quiet here sad what happened to a thread which was here from the start 2009 :(

It is what it is. I will keep posting simply because I think it's important to keep the thread alive. It's not like the twins are doing nothing in terms of their careers, so there's actually quite a bit to discuss.

I'm excited about the Make Your Own Luck vid. I wonder where it was filmed. That water looks mighty blue. :D And the clarity of the still tweeted seems to indicate a good camera (like the Ferocious vid).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about this 'fresh start' thingy, and I really do think it might be smart to relocate to Nashville to try their hand at the modern country sound. There's an awful lot of money to be made in Country Music (think Taylor Swift)... and I think the twins' voices would fit quite well with the genre.

If they did make the jump, I would recommend they market themselves as John & Edward Grimes and not Jedward. For me, the brand Jedward now means, almost exclusively, bouncy clowns. If the twins are serious about pursuing a career in music, then they need to close the chapter on bouncy clowns. Just close it. It's done.

Re relocating to the States: the problem w/ LA and NYC is that these cities tend to chew people up and spit them out. Nashville is much more, well, laid back and friendly. As the twins are from a suburb of Dublin, I would imagine they would be much more comfortable in a city the size of Nashville.

They could also enroll in university, if they wish (no idea what the status of their education is now, tho'... so I don't know if they have the prerequisites to qualify)... but Vanderbilt has an excellent music department (of course).

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I want the twins to move forward w/ their careers... & I just don't see that happening in Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyway... even tho it's not celebrated anywhere but the states... I do wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-13-greatest-country-songs-for-thanksgiving-20141125/dolly-parton-coat-of-many-colors-1971-20141125