MIxed sex wards - are you really bothered?

droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's in the news again today.

And on the TV they talked about the need for 'dignity' etc.

But I was on a mixed ward over Christmas and I can't say it bothered me at all - in fact I prefer a mixed ward to a single sex ward.

Any privacy issues I have apply equally to men and women - that's why the beds have curtains.

Isn't it a bit antiquated to segregate the sexes in this way? So I wondered whether, despite political posturing, anybody was really that bothered.

Are you bothered?

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always wondered what the problem was with them, was visiting my mum recently and found it quite creepy and old fashioned being just women there.:confused:
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't bother me, like you said curtains are in place for privacy reasons, so not sure what the big fuss is about them TBH.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you've fully recovered from whatever led you to hospital droogie.

I have never had to stay in hospital but if I did I think I'd rather have more women than men in my ward. They tend to snore less.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry apart from intensive care wards there should be separate wards for men and women

yes there are curtains but they are very flimsy and not soundproof.

A mate of mine was ina mixed ward there was a man in the next bed, when his Dr came round he pulled the curtains but she could still hear every word

Sometime later when her Dr came round closed her curtains for 'privacy' then proceeded to have a discussion about her
    vaginal discharge she knew of course that the man in the next bed could hear every word.

Not to mention the Nurse who decided to open the curtains
    around the bed of an elderly lady who was then exposed to at least 3 men sitting half naked on a bed pan.

My mate discharged herself the next day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad was in hospital just there, in a guy-only ward, and the characters that came in and out were unbelievable. Whenever I've been in, I've been surrounded by old ladies. Dullest experiences of my life. They wheeze, they snore, they zimmer around in their zimmers, and use the commode every five minutes. I think I'd rather have some male nutters in as well to break up the smelly monotony.

ETA: tbh, if a doctor started talking loudly about my vaginal discharge in a single sex ward I would be absolutely as raging as I would be if there were guys in earshot. Same applies to being exposed on a bedpan. When I was in once the nurse opened the curtains on some old woman climbing on to her commode. It's cruel to gag, but gag I did, and she must have been mortified. That's surely not a gender issue. It shouldn't be, I think...
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

I have never had to stay in hospital but if I did I think I'd rather have more women than men in my ward. They tend to snore less.
    You've not met my sister. When she was in hospital giving birth, she'd go to sleep in the ward each night and wake up in the corridor in the morning. They wheeled her bed there each night so the other mums could get some sleep! :D
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm fine thanks for asking Stiffy - well I have tests and stuff but yeah I'm fine.
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Sorry apart from intensive care wards there should be separate wards for men and women

A mate of mine was ina mixed ward there was a man in the next bed, when his Dr came round he pulled the curtains but she could still hear every word

Sometime later when her Dr came round closed her curtains for 'privacy' then proceeded to have a discussion about her
    vaginal discharge she knew of course that the man in the next bed could hear every word.

around the bed of an elderly lady who was then exposed to at least 3 men sitting half naked on a bed pan.

That's not a good experience ..... I suppose for me personally it wouldn't be any worse for it being a mixed ward though.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on a mixed sex psychiatric ward and it wasn't a problem most of the time, except for the number of relationships that were going on between patients who perhaps didn't have the best judgement. We had our own bedrooms of course and seperate toilets but had to share the same bathroom and tv lounge and dining room. It's since been renevated and wards are now single sex but to the detriment of female patients as there tend to be more of them and less beds available now.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Always wondered what the problem was with them, was visiting my mum recently and found it quite creepy and old fashioned being just women there.:confused:

What did your mother feel about it after all she is the patient
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would not bother me, after all if i was spending time in hospital the last thing i would be wanting to do is perv on the female sex.

Plenty of privacy if you ask me and lets not forget it's the NHS if you want first class service sign up for bupa.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixed wards are horrible.

I was in one a few years back ( because it was an emergency admittance there was no time to get onto the gynae ward and I ended up in general emergency surgical), and although I was in the women's bay - actually I think it was probably not considered "mixed" as the bays were single sex - but it wasnt nice. The bays had windows between them so people could see through into the other sex's beds, and the poor elderly women I was with were mortified, and I didnt like it much either...

Also, in order to get to the toilets, the women had to walk through the mens bay, and vice versa for the men to get to the telephone they had to go through the women's bay - and it was humiliating for them, shuffling past the men, clutching at the back of their hospital gowns trying to keep themselves covered , some pushing drips with their other hand, ...I hated it for them, and for myself it wasnt particularly pleasant either, but not as mortifying - I was more upset for them having to deal with all that as well as being ill.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »

I think that sums up the case why mixed gender wards should be phased out. i hope that this government succeeds where that last lot quite clearly failed.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only been in hospital with pregnancy and of course only women on the two different wards I was in.

My father though didn't like being in a mixed ward after having a stroke. I suppose being in nightwear constantly and dealing with medical matters can be uncomfortable for many when mixed, especially those of older generations.

I really hope they wont decide on mixed sex loos in my lifetime, I would hate that.
    Forum Member
    It's in the news again today.

And on the TV they talked about the need for 'dignity' etc.

But I was on a mixed ward over Christmas and I can't say it bothered me at all - in fact I prefer a mixed ward to a single sex ward.

Any privacy issues I have apply equally to men and women - that's why the beds have curtains.

Isn't it a bit antiquated to segregate the sexes in this way? So I wondered whether, despite political posturing, anybody was really that bothered.

Are you bothered?

I have mixed views. I would rather have a bed on a mixed ward rather than no bed at all if there was not a female bed available. In a lot of hospitals they separate sexes into bays but there are still many with the Florence Nightingale type ward. If you asked me what I would choose though I would rather be in a single sex ward. I expect patient surveys have also said this
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend miscarried in a mixed ward while waiting on a bed in gynae. In a hospital gown, covered in blood she had to make her own way to the toilet for some guy in a bed to shout "Are you coming on then love?" Her husband was nearly arrested. I really dont think something like that would happen if she had been in a female only ward.

On another occassion while my hubby was in a general ward waiting on a bed in cardiology a young lad with a broken leg (or ankle) had his eighteen year old mates in. they spent visiting speculating on where the (mid fifties)woman across from them's tits might hang to.

So no, mixed wards are not a good idea in my mind. I know that sounds like I'm saying all men are idiots but if even a few are vulnerable women have a right to recover in a place of respect and safety. And vice versa.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how I'd feel tbh. I think it would depend on the nature of my illness.

Imagine if you had a couple of hot men on your ward though, or vice versa, I can't help thinking it would ease the pain somewhat;):D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kim1994 wrote: »
    What did your mother feel about it after all she is the patient

They always put me in with the weridos, that's what she said. :D

It was embarrassing for me visiting, some old lady called me over to her bed and asked me to agree she should be allowed to use the bed pan, the nurse wanted her to go to the toilet - good for her legs. :(
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't imagine it bothering me, unless I'd had a fanny/willy operation and had lady/man identity etc issues.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm completely against mixed wards. Our elderly folk should be treat with dignaty and respect and being on a mixed ward just causes them stress and embarasement.
    I would also not be happy being on a mixed ward, hospitals are horrible places as it is without being stuck in mixed ward. I would feel really uncomfortable.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I'd definitely be bothered about staying in a mixed sex ward. I was in one when I was about 13 and I hated it. To make matters worse, I was only wearing a white gown under the bed sheets, nothing else. For some stupid reason my mother had taken all my clothes away that I'd taken off, so I was just left with that white robe ..... which was hugely embarrassing when sitting around the lasses doing lessons in the hospital.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    i've been on a couple of mixed sex wards as a patient. to be honest, i was feeling that awful at the time that i couldn't have cared less if there had been blood sucking monsters in the beds next to me! let's face it there isn't a massive amount of dignity once you're in hospital anyway, i just took the view that i'd probably never see my fellow patients again and got on with it!

that said, i can see why some people would feel more comfortable on single sex wards, and so where it's logistically possible then it should be done.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would bother me a lot.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it would bother me.

I don't want to see some old dear's clout staring at me if I'm already unwell.

It could tip me over the edge.
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    Yes it would bother me.

I don't want to see some old dear's clout staring at me if I'm already unwell.

It could tip me over the edge.

:D:D:D|I shouldn't have done but.........
  • *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member

and fart.