Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 23)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,853
Administrator
Mark F wrote: »
y
Murray showed great mental and physical strength to come back from 2 down (again) and hopefully it hasn't taken too much out of him.

Going to be tough fighting the big serve of Janowicz and also the hard ground stroke but still back Murray.

I wonder how fit Del Potro will against Novak but fair play to him for coming through today despite the injury.

This thread is a continuation of: The Tennis Thread (Part 22)

Comments

• Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Footygirl :D. Totally agree Phil Jones should be the only reporter allowed near the players from now on and Gary Richardson should be barred from Wimbledon for good and sacked as well. He is terrible and year after year he tortures the poor players with his inane and thoughtless questions. If I was Andy I would have dropped him earlier for suggesting Lendl give him the hairdryer treatment :mad:. He played poorly by his standards but no-one should ever be subject to that and im a Fergie fan but that is well out of order.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Delpo v Ferrer and Murray v Verdasco, very good day of tennis.:D

What's happening tomorrow?
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,219
    Forum Member
    Quarter Final Umpires

Novak Djokovic bt Tomas Berdych
    Umpire - Carlos Ramos

Juan Martin del Potro bt David Ferrer
    Umpire - Carlos Bernardes

Jerzy Janowicz bt Lukas Kubot
    Umpire - Enric Molina

Andy Murray bt Fernando Verdasco
    Umpire - Pascal Maria

That leaves James Keothavong, Mohammed Lahyani and Jake Garner for the semis and the final. Think Jake Garner will get the final

Tomorrow is the ladies semis

Sabine Lisicki v Agnieska Radwanska
    Predicted umpire - Alison Hughes

Marian Bartoli v Kirsten Flipkens
    Predicted umpire - Mariana Alves

In the name all that is holy and the supreme being please let Eva Asderaki have the ladies final. She has never had the final - and both Alves and Hughes have done the womens final - Hughes I think on three occasions
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    might be on the previous thread but Andy tweeted saying dont be too hard on Richardson and he apologised for that question
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh, I get to post on the first page of the new thread!

That is sweet of Andy!
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll forget to bookmark this in the morning, so posting now.

That was nice of Andy, but it really was one of the worst questions I've ever heard!
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Andy, he must dread coming off court after a tough match like that and having to talk to Richardson. He must be thinking "please not him, anyone but him" as he walks off, hoping for Phil Jones instead
  • Options
    Lost CosmonautLost Cosmonaut Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    might be on the previous thread but Andy tweeted saying dont be too hard on Richardson and he apologised for that question

Reading this makes my comments from the previous thread seem all the more prescient;

Completely mystified at some people's reactions to Murray limping over the line today in most the dismal fashion possible, more still to their triumphalism over this mean feat. It's like cheering on Mike Tyson against a little girl in a wheelchair.

The real action happens tomorrow in the Bartoli game. Totally amazed at her tenacity in the last match (particularly as she was playing in an atmosphere not dissimilar to a Black Panther rally). I'm sure she'll show equal heart and spirit tomorrow despite the goons in attendance.

If you are looking for a somebody who embodies the attributes of a REAL British hero you'll do far better with her than Average Andy.
  • Options
    Gunner95Gunner95 Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading this makes my comments from the previous thread seem all the more prescient;

Completely mystified at some people's reactions to Murray limping over the line today in most the dismal fashion possible, more still to their triumphalism over this mean feat. It's like cheering on Mike Tyson against a little girl in a wheelchair.

The real action happens tomorrow in the Bartoli game. Totally amazed at her tenacity in the last match (particularly as she was playing in an atmosphere not dissimilar to a Black Panther rally). I'm sure she'll show equal heart and spirit tomorrow despite the goons in attendance.

If you are looking for a somebody who embodies the attributes of a REAL British hero you'll do far better with her than Average Andy.

Troll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juan Martin Del Potro for Wimbledon Men's Singles Champion 2013! :cool:
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carlos Ramos is a total silver fox :o
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to tomorrow, clash of styles in the Lisicki-Radwanska match and also the last chance saloon sort of game with Bartoli-Flipkens, never going to get a better chance at a GS title.

Tough call, can see both matches swinging either way, I've always liked Lisicki's game from back when she burst on the scene so I will have a slight preference for her to do it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gunner95 wrote: »
    Troll.

- is not synonymous with "somebody who has a different opinion to my own".

If you disagree with what I said, feel free to engage me in social intercourse and we can discuss it, I promise I won't bite :cool:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are called a troll because you are trying to claim a French woman is a British hero and Andy who has won a GS title and actually is British is not a hero :rolleyes:. You are not looking for a discussion just some attention.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last, a new thread. If anyone missed my daily multi-quote fest it's on page 433 of the old thread. :)

Took a long time to wade through 60 pages and the users who were moaning purely because they'd had a bet on Andy are mugs. Of the highest order. :sleep:

Randomguy - are you on MTF? Swear I've seen that username around somewhere.
    kutox wrote: »
    Poor Andy, he must dread coming off court after a tough match like that and having to talk to Richardson. He must be thinking "please not him, anyone but him" as he walks off, hoping for Phil Jones instead
    Talking to Gary is like playing a sixth set. Nice of Muzza to call off the hounds saying he had a bad day but he seems to have several of those - opens mouth before he engages brain. He is a stain on the BBC's coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last, a new thread. If anyone missed my daily multi-quote fest it's on page 433 of the old thread. :)

Took a long time to wade through 60 pages and the users who were moaning purely because they'd had a bet on Andy are mugs. Of the highest order. :sleep:

Randomguy - are you on MTF? Swear I've seen that username around somewhere.

Talking to Gary is like playing a sixth set. Nice of Muzza to call off the hounds saying he had a bad day but he seems to have several bad days - opens mouth before he engages brain.

No im not on MTF I used to be but not under this name. This name is quite common around the internet but none of those are me ;). You have probably seen me post on DS in the past I've been here on and off for 5 years now :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm feeling a bit sorry for Gary now. There is way too much vitriol aimed at him. He asks a few stupid questions and his statement style questioning can be a bit annoying but he's not totally incompetent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are called a troll because you are trying to claim a French woman is a British hero and Andy who has won a GS title and actually is British is not a hero :rolleyes:. You are not looking for a discussion just some attention.

No, I said, and I quote, Bartoli "embodies the attributes" of a quintessentially British hero - namely tenacity, modesty, and a steely determination to succeed in the face of an overwhelming negative atmosphere and that I'd very much like to see more of these qualities in Murray, and do note these are very much separate from title wins and seed rankings.
  • Options
    Kel'ThuzadKel'Thuzad Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a sleep but I'm still feeling absolutely sick to the stomach. :(

I've made a massive mistake I should never have placed £250 on Murray at 2/1. I'm totally ****ed!

PS4 pre-order is going to have to be cancelled as are the nightly trips to the pub if Murray doesn't do the business. :cry:

WTF was I thinking I'm so angry with myself and Murray. :mad::mad:
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No im not on MTF I used to be but not under this name. This name is quite common around the internet but none of those are me ;). You have probably seen me post on DS in the past I've been here on and off for 5 years now :D.
    Ah, fair dos. Seem to be several random guys around :p

Agree with your post in the old thread about JJ - he is far more than a servebot (Isner/Raonic/Querrey), he has several weapons...huge flat groundies (esp the CC FH), moves well for his height, reliable and accurate dropshots.
    Shappy wrote: »
    I'm feeling a bit sorry for Gary now. There is way too much vitriol aimed at him. He asks a few stupid questions and his statement style questioning can be a bit annoying but he's not totally incompetent!
    He deserves the vitriol. I detest Geoff Shreeves doing the leading, tabloidy post-match footy interviews on Sky but I've never wanted to punch the screen when he's on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I said, and I quote, Bartoli "embodies the attributes" of a quintessentially British hero - namely tenacity, modesty, and a steely determination to succeed in the face of an overwhelming negative atmosphere and that I'd very much like to see more of these qualities in Murray, and do note these are very much separate from title wins and seed rankings.

No I inferred from your post that Andy embodies the attributes of a British hero less than a French woman with by far a worse GS and career record than Andy.

I must have missed the part of my schooling that included which attributes made me British :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kel'Thuzad wrote: »

I've made a massive mistake I should never have placed £250 on Murray at 2/1. I'm totally ****ed!

PS4 pre-order is going to have to be cancelled as are the nightly trips to the pub if Murray doesn't do the business. :cry:

Surely if you made a bet like that, you must have plenty of money to spare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kel'Thuzad wrote: »

Oh diddums :cry::cry::cry:. Never bet more than you can afford to lose.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Does anyone else keep thinking about how Andy would react if he won Wimbledon? When he won the US Open he was in shock and didn't really celebrate. I really hope we find out :D

I wonder about that too. I'm sure he would celebrate much more than at the US Open, and he'd probably be emotional too, what with Wimbledon being the one thing he's always wanted to win more than anything (as we saw from him after the final last year).

I've also been wondering how Sabine Lisicki would react if she wins Wimbledon. Given how emotional she gets after beating top players, like Serena the other day, can you imagine how she would react if she wins the title?! :eek:
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabine to win tomorrow!! I'm so nervous already, it's probably going to be like the Serena match.

I need to prepare myself..
This discussion has been closed.