Fleur's performance was the moment X Factor became relevant again

MilkitaMilkita Posts: 1,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So this is quote from an article,
Fleur's Uptown Funk performance was the moment X Factor became relevant again

In the biggest talent show moment since Susan Boyle’s I Dreamed a Dream, Fleur East trounced the competition with her version of Uptown Funk and woke everyone – and the format – up

Do you agree with that ? To compare that performance to Susan Boyle is really ridiculous ..

Comments

• Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's over the top - but she was still incredible and did that song serious justice.

Subo will always be up there because of the negativity at the start - no one will touch that audition.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being relevant ?

What does that mean ?
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any song recommended by Simon Cowell is hardly "relevant".
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does open a debate about the shoddy themes and song choices this year.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    "relevant" ? Define "relevant" and to WHOM?

See as the show's title falsely claims that it is looking for anyone with the X Factor, when in reality they are only ever looking for a silly pop act to fleece teenies of their money, it would seem that "relevant" mean narrow relevance to teenie viewers.

After all, only that age group would connect with silly words like "relevant" and "current" and think they wos well kool.

The X Factor has never been relevant to its title as it was a complete lie from the start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it - when Fleur went to judges' houses - Simon hadn't even noticed her in the earlier rounds. That proves how 'meh' she is. She hasn't really proved her niche market and is slightly too old to really be on a par with proper 'street' rapper types. I just see her doing covers of Michael Jackson and Earth, Wind and Fire.
  • SauveQuiPeutSauveQuiPeut Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    May be worth quoting more of the article (from The Guardian)
    Something unexpected happened on Saturday night. Something huge and magnificent that came out of nowhere and blasted a hole straight through our flimsy walls of perception. Something so sudden and enormous and completely unprecedented that it doesn’t seem like hyperbole to suggest that life itself may never be the same again.

That’s right: The X Factor wasn’t terrible.

Sure, the moment came and went before anyone properly realised what was going on. And sure, immediately after X Factor stopped being terrible, it went straight back to being terrible again, with more mediocre singers caterwauling more overfamiliar power ballads in exchange for more rote praise.

And that just sums it up really. Good performance by any standards. But, in a series essentially sacrificed to Cowell's determination to ram his 16-legged brainwave down everyone's throats...just how 'good' does something have to be before it seems 'amazing'?
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starzz123 wrote: »
    It does open a debate about the shoddy themes and song choices this year.

This^^^

We've had Elton John, Whitney Houston, Queen, ballads yawn yawn yawn.... So my interpretation of relevant in this context is current. But the show will NEVER be relevant as long as Louis is sitting on the end with his bookfull of cliches. It's a tired format and I'm surprised it's coming back next year.

Are we stuck with a lifetime of autumnal and winter Saturday nights of Strictly and X Factor for eternity???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To old lol she's just 27!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    They'll be comparing Andrea to Paul Potts next!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To old lol she's just 27!!

How many 27 year olds do you know who hang about on street corners being rebellious. That type of music is about 'kids' hitting back at 'the man' and she's become part of the machinery, That's why poor James Arthur was so depressed - he wanted to do music his way but he ended up having to compromise at Syco's altar. Simon's turning her into Sinitta Mark II.
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    One, admittedly brilliant song choice, does not a relevant competition make. The show will still feature the same arrangements of the same songs for the same themes next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    danielleh wrote: »
    One, admittedly brilliant song choice, does not a relevant competition make. The show will still feature the same arrangements of the same songs for the same themes next year.

And One Direction will likely appear in the finale, once again.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She came across as a class act of the top quality, she will be a massive star if Cowell & Co management idiots keep well away from her.

Hope she wins , but either way she doesn't need X Factor now she is class. I also have to laugh at Lesbo Mel and Cheryl Cole judging Fleur, they are not in the same class as her as a entertainer and singer. If anything they couldn't lace her shoes in the singing field.
  • NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eheheheh.
  • dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    She came across as a class act of the top quality, she will be a massive star if Cowell & Co management idiots keep well away from her.

Hope she wins , but either way she doesn't need X Factor now she is class. I also have to laugh at Lesbo Mel and Cheryl Cole judging Fleur, they are not in the same class as her as a entertainer and singer. If anything they couldn't lace her shoes in the singing field.

She has been around long enough & supposedly performed with some decent artists with very little success of her own.
    She clearly does need the scowel machine!
  • LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it - when Fleur went to judges' houses - Simon hadn't even noticed her in the earlier rounds. That proves how 'meh' she is. She hasn't really proved her niche market and is slightly too old to really be on a par with proper 'street' rapper types. I just see her doing covers of Michael Jackson and Earth, Wind and Fire.

Nicki Minaj is in her thirties, so I wouldn't say Fleur is too old if she's marketed correctly.
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are you on about? Nicki Minaj is 32 and it's done her no harm. Fleur's nowhere near too old. Anyway Fleur doesn't even rap that much so it doesn't matter!
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dia6olo wrote: »
    She has been around long enough & supposedly performed with some decent artists with very little success of her own.
    She clearly does need the scowel machine!

Doubt it there are plenty of other good Managers who do not rip of and burn their artists. Cowell and Loopy Lou Walsh's track management of looking after artists is very poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fleur is 27 looks about 20 LOL

people talking like she's 40
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the show...I only watch it each week for a laugh and to take the p***, usually before I go out on a Saturday night. If it ended, I think it would have a really positive effect on the music industry. Acts from these shows and acts associated with these sorts of shows are always in the charts. I would love it if all these shows stopped (especially X Factor) as I think it would give more unknown artists the chance to grow organically and release music/become noticed. These shows just dominate the insutry too much.
  • wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    I don't get the hype over Susan Boyle, I think she has a bad voice and was often out of tune.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicki Minaj is in her thirties, so I wouldn't say Fleur is too old if she's marketed correctly.

Yes but Minaj is sexy and is willing to do just about anything (lewd) on stage. Fleur is a 'nice girl' and is just not sexy in the same league as Beyonce, Rihanna or Minaj. If Fleur is willing to 'reveal all' and sell her soul I guess she might have a longer career. Sad but true these days.
  • dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the show...I only watch it each week for a laugh and to take the p***, usually before I go out on a Saturday night. If it ended, I think it would have a really positive effect on the music industry. Acts from these shows and acts associated with these sorts of shows are always in the charts. I would love it if all these shows stopped (especially X Factor) as I think it would give more unknown artists the chance to grow organically and release music/become noticed. These shows just dominate the insutry too much.

I have to agree with this post, they are lowering the standard of music we are forced to listen to.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is so funny.