Deceiving people by secretly drinking alcohol?

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I went to the pub today and brought 4 bottles of non-alcoholic Becks blue beer and I noticed when I read the bottle it was 0.5& alcohol, for some daft reason I then had cravings for more alcohol and proceeded to by 8 cans of Stella. I've been clean of alcohol for 7 months and basically thrown it all away tonight... Should I come clean to my family or just put it down to a one off and not tell anybody. I feel like I'm deceiving people if I lie and feel quite guilty about it too.

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think you have it under control fessing up may not be in anyone's interest. I think only you know the answer to that.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    From your OP you haven't secretly drunk alcohol as I presume the Becks is advertised as non-alcoholic beer?

You chucked the Stella.
  • PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Becks blue is NOT MORE than 0.05% abv.

Did you drink all the Stella?

At least you learnt that alcohol free lagers are a trigger for you.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    From your OP you haven't secretly drunk alcohol as I presume the Becks is advertised as non-alcoholic beer?

You chucked the Stella.

He didn't chuck the Stella. He said he threw away his hard work.
    You didn't say you drank the Stella though OP, hopefully you stopped yourself.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would put it down to experience i have fallen off the wagon a couple of times.

My counsellor said do not beat yourself up about it move on.

I would certainly see if counselling would be any help as a recovering alcoholic i have not involved my family,as i view it as my problem to deal with it,thats just my approach though:).

I have also been prescribed Campral my advice would be to stay away from anything with "Beer" /Lager" written on it, as your brain will crave the real thing as you have found out.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He didn't chuck the Stella. He said he threw away his hard work.
    You didn't say you drank the Stella though OP, hopefully you stopped yourself.

I think he did drink it as he stated 7 months of hard work down the drain which indicates to me he did, which of course its not if you learn from it OP.:)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If that's the case then I misread the sentence. I must admit that I read it the other way straight off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If that's the case then I misread the sentence. I must admit that I read it the other way straight off.

Perhaps if they come back on they could confirm, over the time i have been battling i have found my trigger points easy to recognise,so avoid them.
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I drank the 8 cans and feel incredibly guilty now... I feel such a failure.... I appreciate all your advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I drank the 8 cans and feel incredibly guilty now... I feel such a failure.... I appreciate all your advice.

Do yourself a favour get rid of the guilt it will send you backwards.

You cannot change what happened you can only change the future phantom sneeze.:)

I have been on a long journey with alcohol and learnt an awful lot about handling my addiction.

You have by no means failed its only a setback,are you getting any support?
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not getting support as such but have alot of input from friends and family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not getting support as such but have alot of input from friends and family.

I have one to one counselling in my area through {Alcohol and drugs advisory service) and also through CDAT the community drugs and alcohol team who prescribe my anti alcohol tablets campral.

It might be worth approaching your GP to see if anything like that operates where you are.:)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You drank 8 cans of Stella and can still type and sound coherent? :o
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You still have the months of sobriety to be proud of, don't let negative emotions cloud that. If you learn the valuable lessons that a pub is not an appropriate place for you, and that you need to check what's in the drink before you buy it the experience is not wasted.

Stay sober tomorrow and be proud of yourself for doing it. Don't worry about whether to share with someone until you feel you have it in perspective.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't failed anything. You've been clean for 7 months. That's not a failure and you can do it again.

Basically my opinion is think of all the good you have achieved.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Oh **** off.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could drink 8 pints and not be wrecked.
    The point is though that I could not plough through 8 cans sat in my armchair at home.
    Nor could I do eight pints on a night out (anymore).
    I just hit a volume level where I'd switch to a glass of wine.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh **** off.

How rude.
    I could drink 8 pints and not be wrecked.
    The point is though that I could not plough through 8 cans sat in my armchair at home.
    Nor could I do eight pints on a night out (anymore).
    I just hit a volume level where I'd switch to a glass of wine.

Eight cans does sound a lot. I was just surprised how sober they sounded. When you think about some of the boozy rants and posts on here, it seemed surprising.

Obviously my mistake.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How rude.

Eight cans does sound a lot. I was just surprised how sober they sounded. When you think about some of the boozy rants and posts on here, it seemed surprising.

Obviously my mistake.
    You'll have to excuse Beaver, he's on his third Snowball.
    :)
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You haven't failed, you just tripped up . It's not ideal , but at least you understand the reality and didn't let it lead to days and nights of sneaky drinking .
    Forgive yourself and hop back on the wagon with a lesson learned re your triggers . Best of luck :)
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    If its a genuine one-off then i wouldn't tell anybody. Just start tomorrow with the not drinking again and go from there. If it becomes the start of falling off the wagon properly then fess up and get some help. Only you know whats going on inside your head.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not going to tell you what to do as it wont matter at all if you yourself decide against it .
    I am a recovering alcoholic myself and know only to well the pitfalls and slip ups that can happen.
    If i was you i would go and see your GP and get him to refer you to a alcohol centre , it was the best thing i ever did and probably saved my life.
    I now have a full time support worker who is a godsend , i am approaching 4 years of sobriety but will always be a alcoholic and that is what i need to tell myself every day .
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I now have a full time support worker who is a godsend , i am approaching 4 years of sobriety but will always be a alcoholic and that is what i need to tell myself every day .

How do you get a support worker?

I ask, because my brother is an alcoholic and has had a horrendous relapse and is now in a dry house with not a penny to his name. We're pleased about that because it means he can't buy any more alcohol.

My parents paid for him to go to rehab but they are not prepared to pay for him to go again.

We know change has to come from him, but if there are resources out there that he can tap into, we can give him the info.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel quite guilty about it too.

Don't be guilty, most lasted at times, I do.
    At times I will drink and enjoy it even.
    But then I recognise what why I am going and stop before I do real damage.

Just remember the dark place drink took you and tell yourself you never want to go there again.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhino Horn wrote: »
    How do you get a support worker?

I ask, because my brother is an alcoholic and has had a horrendous relapse and is now in a dry house with not a penny to his name. We're pleased about that because it means he can't buy any more alcohol.

My parents paid for him to go to rehab but they are not prepared to pay for him to go again.

We know change has to come from him, but if there are resources out there that he can tap into, we can give him the info.

I got mine through a referral from the drug and alcohol team , but if your brother is a council tenant he can apply for a tenancy support worker (they do far more than tenancy related work)

Or his GP can also refer him .

Good luck