Options

Things that have disappeared from everyday life

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still have some outside schools around here.
    and here ...
  • Options
    cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    The door to door insurance salesmen.

Green Shield stamps? Are they still around in any form?

I remember both of these!

Our insurance salesman was Mr Parsons☺

I seem to remember someone coming round with football pools and spot the ball (which my mum won several times)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Us kids chasing the fire engine if it ever came on to our estate to see where the fire was ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local co-op had some sort of overhead contraption that they would use to send things whizzing round the store
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old English spangles

Wiz lollies with lovely caramel centre. Yummy.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local co-op had some sort of overhead contraption that they would use to send things whizzing round the store

I remember them. They were very strange. Apparently the shop assistants weren't allowed to handle the money. So they put the money that people gave them into a tin and sent it whizzing around on wires to the office. Then the office staff put the change and receipt in the tin and sent it back to the assistant. What a weird way of going on!

I also remember people having to use plastic tokens to buy milk from the co-op milkman. The co-op seemed to do some strange things then.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

A pneumatic tube? I remember those. We had one in the telegraph office where I worked - we put the telegrams in envelopes and sent them down the tube to the delivery office downstairs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember them. They were very strange. Apparently the shop assistants weren't allowed to handle the money. So they put the money that people gave them into a tin and sent it whizzing around on wires to the office. Then the office staff put the change and receipt in the tin and sent it back to the assistant. What a weird way of going on!
    Foyles bookshop used to be like that, except that the poor customer had to do the running around between the assistant and the cashier!
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    ordinary phone boxes !

Just on phones:

Proper red telephone boxes (a few still around, not many)

Sets of telephone directories inside the phone-boxes (maybe because I lived near London, there was the entire set, on a swiveling mechanism that stopped you taking them away).

An unanswered ringing tone when calling a business, or an engaged tone, instead of voicemail which instantly (on my phone) costs 25p.

Automatic menu systems on phones instead of being answered by people.

Queuing systems, so that you can spend 30 minutes on hold, on that 25p/minute 0870 number, before spending 2 minutes on your actual conversation.

01 for London (before it became 071/081, then 0171/0181, and finally(?) 0207/208 - or is it just 020?

Calling up the latest weather report on 01 246 8091 (I also remember that Scotland Yard was (Whitehall) 230 1212 - maybe it still is...)

Rotary dialing. (Your landline exchange might still support the signals for this: test it by lifting the handset, and rapidly pressing the receiver-button thing 5 times to dial '5' for example, or 10 times for '0', repeat for the other digits with a pause between each.)

Free directory enquiries by dialing 192 (now it seems to cost about £4 a time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    01 for London (before it became 071/081, then 0171/0181, and finally(?) 0207/208 - or is it just 020?

Just 020. There's a lot of confusion about that!
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rag and bone man! He use to come round each month blowing his little trumpet:D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Just on phones:

Proper red telephone boxes (a few still around, not many)

There's still one in Quorn, near me in Loughborough, here in Leicestershire.

They looked much nicer than the ones today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made sense in a big store - saved running about with money and too many people handling it, and everything could be controlled from one cashier's office.
    They still exist - there was a case in the news this week of someone who had got into a store's roofspace and intercepted the tubes for several hours before they sussed it. (sorry - haven't found the link, but here's one they made earlier http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1554632/Thief-stole-90000-from-supermarket-tubes.html)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Just 020. There's a lot of confusion about that!
    Long before that you dialled the first 3 letters of the town name or area, then the number. Remember 'Whitehall 1212' - Scotland Yard? There was a radio show well before my time called that, and I'm sure a tv series used to start with it, possibly this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Yard_%28TV_series%29
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Long before that you dialled the first 3 letters of the town name or area, then the number. Remember 'Whitehall 1212' - Scotland Yard? There was a radio show well before my time called that, and I'm sure a tv series used to start with it, possibly this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Yard_%28TV_series%29

Earlier still, there were manual exchanges too. You dialled the first 3 letters of the exchange or some other code, and an operator answered to connect you.Of course if you lived in that area all your calls had to go through an operator.
  • Options
    cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    The rag and bone man! He use to come round each month blowing his little trumpet:D

Still see/hear him when we visit my Mom in the Black Country!
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we still have the speaking clock?
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coal bunkers

Eh? Plenty of us have them round here :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our scrap metal man has just done his usual Sunday round in his flatbed truck blaring out Peter Sellers 'Any old iron'.
    Love it :cool:
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? Plenty of us have them round here :confused:

Can you get coal deliveries?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still see/hear him when we visit my Mom in the Black Country!
    Always good to keep a tradition going. Good for him:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our scrap metal man has just done his usual Sunday round in his flatbed truck blaring out Peter Sellers 'Any old iron'.
    Love it :cool:
    I take it were talking about scrap iron, and not the ones used to press clothes:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most homes didn't have a phone in my youth and I remember queuing up outside the red phone box at 6 as it was cheaper to phone then.

Also remember dial a disk 😀
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

Now we just have people going down your skip to see if there is any metal in it and making a mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semi nude models on tins of lager:)