HDR FOX T2 ftp transfer to PC

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Hi, I want to ftp the recordings from my HDR to my PC. I have downloaded an ftp client and I have the IP address for my Hummy, but is there a user ID and password or do I just leave this blank. Can this be done through the web browser or Windows explorer instead, Cheers for any info.

Comments

• late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    JAD22 wrote: »
    Hi, I want to ftp the recordings from my HDR to my PC. I have downloaded an ftp client and I have the IP address for my Hummy, but is there a user ID and password or do I just leave this blank. Can this be done through the web browser or Windows explorer instead, Cheers for any info.

I use FileZilla

Host: (your IP address) Username: humaxftp Password:0000
    Port: (is usually 21)
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recordings will not play on your PC if you FTP them directly from the Humax because they are encrypted. SD files can be decrypted by using the OPT+ button to copy them to an external USB drive or memory stick. HD files cannot be decrypted in this way, except by using a third party utility called Foxy. See here for details.

Once you have the file on an external drive, you can FTP from that drive to your PC.

You should also bear in mind that the Humax can only write files to an external drive if the drive is formatted with FAT32 or EXT3 file systems. FAT32 only supports files up to 4GB in size, and many HD files are larger than that, so you are left with EXT3 as the only really viable option. I have been unable to find any way to format a memory stick with EXT3 except by using Linux, so you really require an external 2.5" drive, which can be formatted with EXT3 by the Humax.

Gets complicated, doesn't it? This should be a straightforward process, but Humax have turned it into a minefield. Making a USB copy of a large file is also very time-consuming because of the simultaneous decryption that is taking place.

If you are a little more adventurous, there is (unofficial) modified firmware available for the Humax which makes the whole process of transferring files between the Humax and a PC into a walk in the park. Have a browse around hummy.tv (as in the earlier link). You may learn something to your advantage.

(BTW: once you have the file on your PC you can play it with most media players, including VLC and Media Player Classic. Doing much else with it is problematical as the .ts format appears to be different from that used by earlier Humax PVRs, like the 9200T. Some people have reported that the files can be edited with the latest version of VideoReDo, but that is not a cheap option.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    And I thought this was going to be easy.... Thanks for all the info. This will give me something to do for a while.
    I suppose that if I were to purchase a HD Fox T2 (none recorder and cheaper) box for say the kitchen then I should be able to see and share the HDR Fox T2 files without a problem. Assume same version of software and both systems use the same encryption, or is there another gotcha lurking.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite the same. The HD-Fox T2 does not encrypt SD files when it stores them, since they are by definition being stored to an external disk. I believe it is reasonably easy with the latest software to link the 2 boxes via DLNA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I understand but does the HD Fox T2 decrypt the files from the HDR Fox T2 via DNLA since its from the same stable. Also I thought the HD Fox T2 is not a recorder, just a player?
    I really appreciate all the help you are giving me on this. I don't want to spend £100 and then find it doesn't work.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand but does the HD Fox T2 decrypt the files from the HDR Fox T2 via DNLA since its from the same stable. Also I thought the HD Fox T2 is not a recorder, just a player?
    I really appreciate all the help you are giving me on this. I don't want to spend £100 and then find it doesn't work.

The HD FOX T2 is single tuner pvr capable using a usb hdd as the storage media. (The box formats it EXT3).

With the latest firmware, the HDR FOX T2 will stream encrypted content to a HD FOX T2 but not vice versa.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Hi, I want to ftp the recordings from my HDR to my PC. ... Can this be done through the web browser or Windows explorer instead, Cheers for any info.

It is possible to FTP in both Internet Explorer and Windows (File) Explorer without using an add-on FTP client by entering
    ftp://10.0.0.200 Note :- replace 10.0.0.200 with your Humax's IP address, More detail here :-

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy-an-hd-recording-backup-utility-for-the-hdr-fox-t2-now-released.240/#post-2914