How to get my UK Orange Pay Monthly phone to work in New Zealand?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Can anyone advise whether my orange phone will work in NZ or what I should do to achieve this? (cheap and painless options preferred!).

Its a Sony Ericsson k750i.

Thanks.

Fitzpad.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might be a usefull place to start....

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=PersonalIR

Choose the link "Will my mobile work" then fill in the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thanks...just tried it...now I know it wont work...so the second half of the question kicks in...how do get it to work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fitzpad wrote:
    Thanks...just tried it...now I know it wont work...so the second half of the question kicks in...how do get it to work?
    I may be missing something blindingly obvious here but.....:)

I am sure when I fed your phone details into the Orange site it ticked everything apart from video messaging? So that says to me that it WILL work? :confused:

All you have to do is either....

PAYG - nothing, just take the phone with you
    Pay Monthly - Call 150 at least 24hrs before leaving to set the phone up.

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=PersonalIR&c=OUKPage&cid=1126544423789
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest dont bother abou orange in nz, if you want to save money just get an unlocked phone and pick up a pre pay card when your out there on vodaphone, whgat i did when i was ou there I linked it up with my english credit card for top ups and saved money especially with the exchange rate as well.
    Forum Member
    re: I may be missing something blindingly obvious here but.....

I am sure when I fed your phone details into the Orange site it ticked everything apart from video messaging? So that says to me that it WILL work?

it does say that but I think the website is using a generic lookup table and the only service available is Vodafone if you look carefully, and I am on Orange.
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote:
    to be honest dont bother abou orange in nz, if you want to save money just get an unlocked phone and pick up a pre pay card when your out there on vodaphone, whgat i did when i was ou there I linked it up with my english credit card for top ups and saved money especially with the exchange rate as well.

Yeah, didnt really want to do that to be honest...minimal effort is my middle name so ideally would use my own phone...but looks like this is the way to go...thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fitzpad wrote:
    it does say that but I think the website is using a generic lookup table and the only service available is Vodafone if you look carefully, and I am on Orange.
    All that means is that Orange don't have a network of their own out there. But they do have a service agreement with the local version of Vodaphone to permit Orange users to access their network.

Also known as Roaming. Not in the slightest bit uncommon, even in the UK! So nothing at all to be concerned about in that respect. the biggest downer is the £1.75 per minute call charge rate!!! Though it's not too clear if that is for calls back to the UK or all calls, even to NZ numbers.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fitzpad wrote:
    Doesn't matter - my housemate is on Orange as used T-Mobile in Prague and Florida. As chrisy says this is perfectly normal.
    Forum Member
    kev wrote:
    Doesn't matter - my housemate is on Orange as used T-Mobile in Prague and Florida. As chrisy says this is perfectly normal.

Aah, OK. So choice is be lazy and pay thru nose or get off my proverbial and save...its usually the case, isnt it!? cheers.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fitzpad wrote:
    Aah, OK. So choice is be lazy and pay thru nose or get off my proverbial and save...its usually the case, isnt it!? cheers.
    Depends what you need it for - a couple of texts then roaming is fine - however if you are expecting to make a lot of calls then get a local SIM - remember your mates will have to pay New Zealand rates to call you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote:

Agreed. I did that. The sim card cost 10 dollars, and I registered it to the address of a friend in NZ and got 10 dollars call credit for free. Also when I was there, 0800 numbers were free using the NZ vodafone sim card, but they wouldn't be if you used a UK card. Magic place, NZ, you'll love it.
    Forum Member
    thanks all.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vanyablue wrote:
    Agreed. I did that. The sim card cost 10 dollars, and I registered it to the address of a friend in NZ and got 10 dollars call credit for free. Also when I was there, 0800 numbers were free using the NZ vodafone sim card, but they wouldn't be if you used a UK card. Magic place, NZ, you'll love it.

also nz vodaphone sim cards work in oz as well at the same rate of nz calls and when you top up if you got a credit card registered to it its at nz exhcange rates event though ur in oz ( bargin)