Most pointless gadgets of the last decade

Comments

• rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    I think with DAB a large part of it comes down to what you listen to, and whether you can get a signal.

For me as a MW listener I think it has been great as the quality has been much better and I've never had a problem getting a signal other than in an office in Northampton that could not get MW either.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I could add the desktop PC to this list.

It takes up half your room and eats up to £400 of electricity per year.
    Compare it to a laptop which can be used in more than one room and only uses up to £40 per year electricity.

I'm only (not)playing games of course.
    you couldn't play games on that laptop if it only cost £400
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    rwould wrote: »
    I think with DAB a large part of it comes down to what you listen to, and whether you can get a signal.

For me as a MW listener I think it has been great as the quality has been much better and I've never had a problem getting a signal other than in an office in Northampton that could not get MW either.

Try listening to BFBS or the BBC World Service on FM. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member

Compare it to a laptop which can be used in more than one room and only uses up to £40 per year electricity.

£400 indicates some very poor power management.
    Forum Member

You could on an iPad though.

(Sorry, couldn't resist :o )
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many games would run perfectly ok on it, but obviously not modern 3D stuff.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Intel chipsets(next week) may make an OK stab at some games.
    A bit better than budget laptops with the AMD chipsets.
    The fastest Intel one seems to be HD Graphics 3000

The iPad GPU chipset also appears on the list if you can decode it.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Well that's only partly true I think. There's such a thing as creating a market where none previously existed. The smartphone is just such a case. The mobile industry were openly sobbing at the take up of 3G prior to the smartphone. If you remember mobile operators around the world paid astronomical sums of money to get those licenses then despite all their efforts no one was interested in 3G. Along came the iPhone which by all accounts was a last throw of the dice and the rest as they say is history.

Ummm...and? Creating a need is a well established marketing activity and it pre-dates smart phones by many many years, Need creation is a sign of innovation, which is a key element of economic growth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ummm...and? Creating a need is a well established marketing activity and it pre-dates smart phones by many many years, Need creation is a sign of innovation, which is a key element of economic growth.

Yep, this is nothing new at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone else has already mentioned them but digital photo frames should have also made it onto my list. Now what the hell are they all about and does anyone use them after the first few weeks when the novelty has worn off?
    As a consumer good I would have to agree, but I have seen some work well in small businesses, especially hospitality.
    Certainly not new but the majority of non rechargeable AA,C and D batteries can be added to that list. A legacy and a small corruption of consumerism.
    I have to agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they ever made a 3-D TV that overcame the issues that people without stereo have than I would be a happy man. I don't see how anyone could argue that HD TV is pointless, the amount of detail you see on much larger TV's makes it worth it, especially when playing games running in HD.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member

What sort of Desktop are you running? For most Desktops you can reduce that cost to about a third of what you quote.

Watts x Hours Used x Cost per kilowatt-hour = Total Cost

Forum Member
    If they ever made a 3-D TV that overcame the issues that people without stereo have than I would be a happy man. I don't see how anyone could argue that HD TV is pointless, the amount of detail you see on much larger TV's makes it worth it, especially when playing games running in HD.

Far to many variables, LCD LED Plasma, manufacturer, sitting distance. Again for me total waste of money which is why I dropped it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For most Desktops you can reduce that cost to about a third of what you quote.

Likewise with the laptop.
    Forum Member
    Likewise with the laptop.

So why make such a ridiculous comparison in the first place? Plus most people wouldn't want to ditch the superiority of a Desktop for a Laptop simply to save a few quid I'm sure.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does everyone in this forum need to constantly bitch at each other?

Are any of the gadgets mentioned in this thread REALLY pointless in the first place? My remote seems to be the only one. The others just seem like they clearly have a point, they clearly have an audience (DAB and Blu-ray are loved by many). I dont get it. The thread has failed badly.
    Forum Member

Agreed.
    (Rechargeable Batteries)
    I have to agree.
    Non-rechargeable batteries are not very energy efficient, but neither are rechargeables.
    What sort of Desktop are you running? For most Desktops you can reduce that cost to about a third of what you quote.

My Mac Pro costs about £134 to run each year and that would put it about one-third the price that Alan quoted.
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »
    Why does everyone in this forum need to constantly bitch at each other?

Are any of the gadgets mentioned in this thread REALLY pointless in the first place? My remote seems to be the only one. The others just seem like they clearly have a point, they clearly have an audience (DAB and Blu-ray are loved by many). I dont get it. The thread has failed badly.

I think you are right here. This has come down to what tech people do not like, rather than tech that is useless.

I may not think Blu-Ray is worth the extra cost, but some here seem to like it. Some may not like the iPad, but it has become very popular and many people seem to enjoy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no such thing as "pointless technology" - that's an oxymoron.

Technology is forever moving forward, advancing in stages - to call one stage 'pointless' is like calling all future technologies that come as a result 'pointless' too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why make such a ridiculous comparison in the first place?

You or me?

I said up to for both laptops and desktops and even agreed desktops and laptops can use a third of those figures.
    A beast of a gaming rig could certainly hit £400 if used all the time as could the laptop hitting £40.

I think this laptop uses £10 per year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vallhund wrote: »
    I think you are right here. This has come down to what tech people do not like, rather than tech that is useless.

I may not think Blu-Ray is worth the extra cost, but some here seem to like it. Some may not like the iPad, but it has become very popular and many people seem to enjoy it.

Lol we agree about something!
    Forum Member
    Are any of the gadgets mentioned in this thread REALLY pointless in the first place

Yes of course they are, the ones I mentioned at the start are totally pointless - for me. You're not really keeping up with this thread are you?
    Forum Member
    My Mac Pro costs about £134 to run each year and that would put it about one-third the price that Alan quoted

And I'll wager you wouldn't want to consign it to history in favour of some inferior mobile computing solution from "any" computer hardware manufacturer would you?
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes of course they are, the ones I mentioned at the start are totally pointless - for me. You're not really keeping up with this thread are you?
    As per title (Most pointless gadgets of the last decade) -
    Here is my list in no particular order -

3D TV
    NetBooks
    Tablet PCs
    Smartphones
    HD TV

3DTV has a point. . .a home immersion entertainment experience

Smartphones - millions of people communicate every day, including those running companies that you use, to check emails, push calenders to important meetings, keep up to date contacts etc etc.

HDTV - as our TV's have grown in size, increased resolutions have become necessary.

It's safe to say that none of the 3 I've pointed out are indeed pointless. They all have a point.

Perhaps in your attempt to create a faux-controversial thread you missed. . . the point. . .of the products?
    Forum Member
    Lol we agree about something!

Cheers, mate.:D