Options

Too much football on television

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I did once wonder if it was a Government ploy to keep people in the pubs watching football instead of being out in the streets protesting against them. But thats just me being cynical

hmmmm.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    There's more football on these days than 20 years ago but there's hundreds more channels now. So if you dont like watching football, there are plenty of channels you can watch which doesnt show it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    There's more football on these days than 20 years ago but there's hundreds more channels now. So if you dont like watching football, there are plenty of channels you can watch which doesnt show it.

My partner has 60 channels on her Freeview. More than anything this was to stir up debate as I know how big a deal the Euros and the World Cup are to BBC1 and ITV1.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wall to wall soaps, reality TV shows dominate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Wall to wall soaps, reality TV shows dominate.

I agree with you with the soaps, they should all finish at 8pm and do we need four omnibuses of Coronation St, but reality shows are far less prevalent on the four main channels than they were in the mid noughties. Remember in 2006 three of the four channels were showing reality crap at the same time and the other was showing Wimbledon, this doesn't happen now.
  • Options
    Roger_KnappRoger_Knapp Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    3 matches last week, including a match not even featuring British sides
    2 already by tomorrow night this week

ENOUGH

pleased put either the football or soaps on BBC2 or ITV2 - dont just not show the soaps
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    3a match not even featuring British sides

Best match of the lot!

It is a busy time with the FA Cup and European football TBF.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member

ENOUGH

pleased put either the football or soaps on BBC2 or ITV2 - dont just not show the soaps

So basically you want the channels that show these games to just stop showing it half way through their contact? I'm sure they would gladly oblige! :D christ theres a million other channels out there! why not watch something else?
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    So basically you want the channels that show these games to just stop showing it half way through their contact? I'm sure they would gladly oblige! :D christ theres a million other channels out there! why not watch something else?

How can we drum it into people's heads that there's more to life than watching telly??

Go and have an orgy or something :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    How can we drum it into people's heads that there's more to life than watching telly??

Go and have an orgy or something :o:D

I think the only decent thing on the telly nowadays is football on FTA TV along with F1 (live and highlights) and some comedy here and there. I reckon these moaners who go on about the football sit and watch daytime TV, soaps etc and are into all the celeb rubbish that a lot of people loathe.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess for me it is picking and choosing the games.

I am interested in the City/Barcelona; Liverpool/United and the Barcelona/Madrid games this week.

The rest I'll just swerve.

For me too much football means it can get tedious but others enjoy watching football every night. To each his own.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ENOUGH

ITV were contractually obliged to show such a match on the main ITV channel and will continue to do so, even if there is no English representation in the Champions League after this week.

However, this will no longer be a problem in five months time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I guess for me it is picking and choosing the games.

I am interested in the City/Barcelona; Liverpool/United and the Barcelona/Madrid games this week.

The rest I'll just swerve.

For me too much football means it can get tedious but others enjoy watching football every night. To each his own.

People really would moan if BBC and ITV had rights to ALL premier league and foreign league games but on FTA we have a peppering of it. When the FA Cup isnt on its Match Of The Day on a Saturday night and some Tuesday Champions League matches. In between that its a mix up of different styles of programming therefore suits all tastes.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many live football games are shown across BBC, ITV, Sky, BT and Eurosport each season? Must be in the thousands

How many of them are on BBC One/Two and ITV main channel?

A very very small percentage
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people saying too much football on at the moment, if you think about it, after the england internationals in june, you will have a good 8 weeks without football, if you dont count pre season friendlies
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be significantly less football on free TV next season as BT have exclusive rights to the Champions League and Europa League.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a way there isnt enough live football on FTA.

pity there isnt still a Championship package for FTA TV.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a way there isnt enough live football on FTA.

pity there isnt still a Championship package for FTA TV.

An argument against is you could actually go and watch a game!! I know one club, no names but the local street is Gigg Lane and they complain about no FTA football when there's a club at the end of their street!!
  • Options
    fatboy75fatboy75 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Why can't football go back to being a weekend game again? All these televised and made for Sky matches on weekday nights are getting tiresome. There are some nights I want to go for a drink and don't want football fans in the way or some 0-0 draw being shown.

Yes there's to much football on tv what they should do is change freeveiw so channel one is endless repeats of EastEnders from the very beginning to nowadays channel two should be coronation street same again endless repeats from very beginning to nowadays channel three should be for the Jeremy kylie show channel four should show endless programs about benefits channel five should show endless big brother type programs and football channel should be on channel 1 on (sky only) and you should have to pay a lot to get it and special rooms should be built in pubs where all football fans that don't go to watch there local team can go and watch a game tv would be so much better then wouldn't it or alternatively you could I don't know maybe try changing channel and seeing what past the first 5 channels maybe if you Google it there might be some instructions to help you or if your really lucky a YouTube video explaining how to do it

Oops forgot to mention when X factor start that get the prime channel one slot till it finishes sorry I forgot about that
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife says she's fed up seeing Gary Lineker in our bedroom:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for those saying you can just go to a game.

some people cant, i have cp and mental health issues, and been found to be incapable of work, by doctors and the social, doctors feel im not safe out of my comfort zone, and cant deal with crowds

i dont agree with all matches being shown, but feel some football shou;d be on FTA tv.

long term im going to end up in a care home, which im guessing wont have sky, so i will have to resort to radio 5 and talksport.

seems you can only watch any football unless you ave money, and are in a situation to get sky/virgin/bt.

how about a package of say 10 premier league matches a year even if it was just 4/5th picks, with the fta channel, getting one 1st pick game, which woud be oen to free reign to the channel
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    How many live football games are shown across BBC, ITV, Sky, BT and Eurosport each season? Must be in the thousands

How many of them are on BBC One/Two and ITV main channel?

A very very small percentage

As you might know I keep a list of the games I watch and I watch a lot of football (sad I know on both counts but there you are!).

I took a random fortnightwhich started 26th October 2010 and ended 04th November 2010 (this was a good way to capture a European week and a non-European week).

In that week I watched a total of 41 games and they were shown on the following channels:

19 ESPN UK (forerunner of BT Sport)
    19 Sky Sports
    1 BBC TV (this was when the corporation showed some football league fixtures)
    1 ITV 4
    1 Channel 5 (Europa League)

I guess at this time there would have been a match on ITV for the Champions League but I must have opted to watch the Sky games rather than the ITV option (so if you want you could remove one from Sky's total and put another on ITV. In addition IO guess there would have been another match on ITV 4 but I opted to watch a game on ESPN so again you cuold remove one from ESPN and add another one on ITV 4 giving you 18 ESPN, 18 Sky, 2 ITV 4 and 1 ITV)

So out of over 40 matches over a 2-week period we're talking about 2/3 games max on free-to-air channels

Let me know if you want me to do another fortnight :D
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many games that are on TV end up 0-0? I reckon it is less than 10%.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't subscribe to Sky Sports or BT combined with the fact that ITV is losing the Champions League you will hardly have any football on TV at all.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    My wife says she's fed up seeing Gary Lineker in our bedroom:D

Well tell her to swithc the channels over when the Walkers crisps adverts come on TV.