Options

How do I get Jehovah's Witnesses to leave me alone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
Forum Member
Is it possible to report the Jehovah's Witnesses for harassment?

They've been coming to my house once every few weeks at the moment and it doesn't matter how often or how firmly I tell them that I'm not interested, they keep coming back.

I think they've targeted me because I'm young (and look much younger than I am). I get the impression that they think they just need to keep trying and that I'll eventually bend, but I wish they'd just go away.

I always try to be respectful of other people's religion but I think it should be against the law for anyone to try and force their religion on you, which is what the JWs do. I don't care if they're doing it because they genuinely believe in their "cause". It's harrassment, IMHO.

Is there anything I can do that might help stop them from coming? Like, is there someone I can write to? I'm usually quite a patient person but I've had enough.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    Tell them your a Catholic or a Muslim that usually does the trick.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine just has to explain that when she was a Nurse she watched a child die because the JW parents refused to sanction a blood transfusion. You could try telling them that on the door step and then ask them to go away.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Or Jewish - that works too.

Or tell them that you consider their constant calling to be harassment and that you have advised your solicitor with a view to an injunction. (Or other legal sounding stuff). You could use your PC to write a legal sounding letter and hand it to them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Just tell them that Jesus sent you to rid the world of JWs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually did have a blood transfusion when I was a baby.

Do you think if I told them they might loose interest and get lost?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to have to be firm with them and just tell them outright that you are not interested and that you don't want any more of them visiting you, and if they continue to do so you will involve the police due to harassment.

I'm sure they'd leave you alone then:).

Jason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to report the Jehovah's Witnesses for harassment?

They've been coming to my house once every few weeks at the moment and it doesn't matter how often or how firmly I tell them that I'm not interested, they keep coming back.

I think they've targeted me because I'm young (and look much younger than I am). I get the impression that they think they just need to keep trying and that I'll eventually bend, but I wish they'd just go away.

I always try to be respectful of other people's religion but I think it should be against the law for anyone to try and force their religion on you, which is what the JWs do. I don't care if they're doing it because they genuinely believe in their "cause". It's harrassment, IMHO.

Is there anything I can do that might help stop them from coming? Like, is there someone I can write to? I'm usually quite a patient person but I've had enough.
    No, don't feel down, have fun with it. Seriously freak them out, you can have such a laugh with it. :D

Does anyone remember that scene with Dot Cotton and the JW's a few months back on EE? :D
    Talk about meeting your match, she played a blinder they were desperate to escape.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason© wrote: »
    You're going to have to be firm with them and just tell them outright that you are not interested and that you don't want any more of them visiting you, and if they continue to do so you will involve the police due to harassment.

I'm sure they'd leave you alone then:).

Jason

Hopefully!

I really hate having to be that way with anybody though, which is the trouble. Otherwise I would have told them to bugger off years ago. I was brought up to be very polite and considerate and I dread it when I have to be less than nice to strangers. I'll try it though. I can be horribly ruthless when I have to be, even though I don't *like* doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at your username, I assume you're female?

If so, just tell them you can't stop and you need to get back to your girlfriend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully!

I really hate having to be that way with anybody though, which is the trouble. Otherwise I would have told them to bugger off years ago. I was brought up to be very polite and considerate and I dread it when I have to be less than nice to strangers. I'll try it though. I can be horribly ruthless when I have to be, even though I don't *like* doing it.
    Kanna, don't be rude be weird. They will keep away trust me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could go for the plain old favourite "F**K OFF" in a really loud voice.
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    I actually did have a blood transfusion when I was a baby.

Do you think if I told them they might loose interest and get lost?

I don't know but it might at least make them think a bit. I think you should tell them.

As everybody else says, telling them that you are with another religion will normally work. They are looking for the unaffiliated and will generally avoid anybody who has already thrown their lot in with another mob.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully!

I don't think you necessarily have to be rude, just assertive really. When I used to live in London we had the politicians coming round every so often bothering us..one of them was on question time the other night..rude git...

Anyway, I'm going off tangent here..what I'm trying to say is I found that if I just told him I wasn't interested in anything he had to say and that he should stop calling at my house, he stayed away:).

Straying off-topic again, this guy is one of the reasons I stopped voting nu-labour.

Jason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the responces. :)

Of course, the fact that I've just come down with a cold and was in bed feeling sorry for myself when they called this morning really didn't help the JWs cause. If I'd known who it was before I'd got up and pulled on some jim jams, I wouldn't have bothered at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We had a JW at work once. Quite a good looking bird and I thought if she ever knocked on my door I'd tell her I'd join up if she gave me a BJ. Worth going along to a couple of meetings for that. Or she would have just gone away mortified, win win situation.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a JW at work once. Quite a good looking bird and I thought if she ever knocked on my door I'd tell her I'd join up if she gave me a BJ. Worth going along to a couple of meetings for that. Or she would have just gone away mortified, win win situation.:D
    Interesting one. If (in her view) it would save you from eternal hell, I would think she was duty bound to give you a BJ, anything else would simply not be christian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    There was a couple of JW's at my school and they were always alright but we did find it strange how they didnt celebrate their birthday.

Why is it that they don't believe in giving blood??
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago there were JWs knocking on doors around our area, most of them seemed to be in their 70s, but they then started bringing this absolutely stunning girl with them - the tactic worked, most blokes I know rushed to open the front door :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only JWs I see tend to be over 50. They used to bring little kids with them but don't seem to so much these days. I always thought that was cruel, to bring the children along when they knew getting abuse was likely. Poor tots. :(
  • Options
    originalboboriginalbob Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    If they come to the door,I normally greet them with a bright smile, and invite them in, asking them whether they'd like to join me in my morning prayer session.I then tell them that i'm a practicing demon worshipper, and am about to sacrifice a chicken.They're normally at the gate and still running at this point.Also works well with utilities and double glazing salespersons...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they come to the door,I normally greet them with a bright smile, and invite them in, asking them whether they'd like to join me in my morning prayer session.I then tell them that i'm a practicing demon worshipper, and am about to sacrifice a chicken.They're normally at the gate and still running at this point.Also works well with utilities and double glazing salespersons...

LOL! Very good. Sometimes I get so tempted to try something like that, just to see the reaction.
  • Options
    P+3P+3 Posts: 12,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    There was a couple of JW's at my school and they were always alright but we did find it strange how they didnt celebrate their birthday.

Why is it that they don't believe in giving blood??
    they do not beleive in RECEIVING blood as they
    beleive it contains the life-essense of a person ( there is a section somewhere in the Old Testament about this; but maybe they forgot that the New testament exists? );
    they ARE allowed, if the are having an operation to have their own blood taken PRE opertaively and it is gvien BACK to them after

as to preventing them from calling

why do you answer the door in the first place?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    P+3 wrote: »

why do you answer the door in the first place?:confused:

It's not always easy to tell that it's them. Especially if they turn up when your still waiting for the postman/delivery person or expecting another kind of vistor. The peep hole doesn't always help distinguish everyone.

I might try asking who it is before opening the door though, and then just tell them "no thanks" if it's a JW, charity collector, or salesperson.
  • Options
    P+3P+3 Posts: 12,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not always easy to tell that it's them. Especially if they turn up when your still waiting for the postman/delivery person or expecting another kind of vistor. The peep hole doesn't always help distinguish everyone.

I might try asking who it is before opening the door though, and then just tell them "no thanks" if it's a JW, charity collector, or salesperson.

OK ;when you open the door and see if IS them, tell them you are NOT interested and shut the door immediately ; simple
    :D