Cilla, ITV, tngt, looking forward to this... But

Comments

• Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I'm not a fan of Cilla Black, I do love her version of Anyone Who Had A Heart. It was number 1 when my (twin) brother and sister were born.

Sheridan Smith is brilliant.

I agree with you, Anyone Who Had A Heart, Your'e My World & Surround Yourself With Sorrow are her best IMHO, A lot of people in Showbiz are not what they seem on stage etc people who meet these people soon get a shock to see what they are like in private.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Do we need ten threads going on and on about how nasty cilla is according to a friend of a friend, I dont care a fig if she is nasty, I dont get nasty in songs. Can the cilla hate be limited to one thread?

Where are all the others?

This is the only thread on Cilla on the first page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Although it wasn't actually said, it was suggested (by the telephone box scene at the end) that the recording went straight to Number 1 when, of course, it didn't.

I thought that as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Oh dear, will yewtree be involved?:D
    Sheridan was being interviewed by Graham Norton and she said that the writer had spent weeks with Cilla collecting her reminicences.
    I am enjoying this programme but it is better if you detach the real Cilla from it and just regard it as a drama.

True a good story told very well forget about her Cilla Back was on a Radio 2 programme this year talking about Offshore Radio in the 1960's Caroline, London etc & she said oh yes she liked them & The Beatles would have loved them what! would have didn't she know? of course The Beatles loved them like everyone else I think that tells people a lot about her.
  • MaxBetaMaxBeta Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally very good at the 60s look especially the grotty little kitchens that people today wouldn't believe.

But there was one mistake, Brian Epstein's Jag had a D-suffix registration plate which was obviously wrong.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Where are all the others?

This is the only thread on Cilla on the first page.

This one, 2 in showbiz, a third in showbiz that is about nice and not nice celebrities which Cilla features in loads. Thats 4 without even using the search function.

Never understand peoples hate for people they dont know, will never meet, that wont impact on their lives. I just dont care if someone is horrible, it just doesnt effect me.
  • WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    True a good story told very well forget about her Cilla Back was on a Radio 2 programme this year talking about Offshore Radio in the 1960's Caroline, London etc & she said oh yes she liked them & The Beatles would have loved them what! would have didn't she know? of course The Beatles loved them like everyone else I think that tells people a lot about her.

I disagree, I think it tells us absolutely nothing about her at all. :confused:

That such innocent words such as 'the Beatles would have loved offshore radio' can be spun into something negative probably tells us more about the tittle-tattling nature of the internet where people are always desperately seeking to twist their own negative slant onto anything and everything, no matter how flimsy and tenuous. :kitty: :D
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the first episode saw this one. Surpringly convincing period detail. Quality stuff. Particularly because she actually sang the songs you've got to hand it to Sheridan Smith.

She must be the top star in British drama today.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one, 2 in showbiz, a third in showbiz that is about nice and not nice celebrities which Cilla features in loads. Thats 4 without even using the search function.

Never understand peoples hate for people they dont know, will never meet, that wont impact on their lives. I just dont care if someone is horrible, it just doesnt effect me.

Because it's a version of reflected glory, allows someone to post or say something about a 'celeb or showbiz type' that allows them ( in their mind) a little bit of kudos but gets a bit boring after a while, who cares if a husband and wife had slanging matches years ago, hardly unheard of, neither is a music or film star being nasty to people, as Al Murray would say #notNews
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Because it's a version of reflected glory, allows someone to post or say something about a 'celeb or showbiz type' that allows them ( in their mind) a little bit of kudos but gets a bit boring after a while, who cares if a husband and wife had slanging matches years ago, hardly unheard of, neither is a music or film star being nasty to people, as Al Murray would say #notNews

Yep I always see it as a modern day equivalent of the netcurtain twitchers who looked to elevate their importance by getting together to bitch and gossip about any neighbours who led more interesting and/or more successful lives. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week's and last episode is where she goes on the Ed Sullivan Show in the US & Ed says she is from Wales in England:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week's and last episode is where she goes on the Ed Sullivan Show in the US & Ed says she is from Wales in England:D

Haha, that's quite funny. Her Mum was welsh and Liverpool used to be referred to as the capital of N Wales (and the capital of Ireland), so Ed wasn't too far wrong. :D
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He said she was an English singing star :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhQDx_4Lgg
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not fan of Cilla Black in the slightest, but I thought I would give it a go because I usually like anything set in the 1960s, but I turned off after 20 minutes as I just couldn't get into it.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    I loved him in The Cops.
    Glad someone else remembers that fantastic police series (to my mind the best ever British police show). Katy Cavanagh (Julie from Coronation Street) was brilliant in it too.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a very good little series for many reasons - it is written superbly by Jeff Pope, it is very well directed with a great feel for the period and the atmosphere of the day, it is extremely well acted, obviously by Sheridan but by also by the whole cast. Elliot Cowan was a dead ringer for George Martin.

The time shifting of the recording of Anyone who had a Heart to the very end of the episode was brilliant. Of course it didn't go straight to Number One on release and Cilla didn't find out by going to a public telephone box, nor would she have been quite so disappointed at getting to Number 35 on her first release - in those days that was still a big sale - but this is drama and it tells the story in a direct and fun way.

ITV used to have period drama that was never up to BBC standards but now I think ITV often knocks spots off the BBC. One aspect of last night's episode that I liked was it was neither right-on politically correct nor did it gloss over issues of the day, such as religious or homophobic prejudice. These were there but no one got bogged down in them. I hate the BBC's contemporary casting and character attitudes to reflect today's politics. Political correctness is just a fashion and it dates drama to ladle it into the story in great big unsubtle dollops.

Anyone who had a Heart sold 1 million copies and was the best-selling single by a female artiste in the UK in the 1960s - not bad considering who else was singing in the 1960s and what incredible songs were released as singles!
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to read Fab 208 magazine every week, and Mirabelle. This would be 1974 ish.

My goodness, you've just brought back memories of me back at Barr Beacon school and waiting to hear what was number one. For some reason I can remember one of my friend's getting so excited about Chicago singing I You Leave Me Now and hoping it would be number one.

My cousin's sons went to that school.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    A lady who used to work for me some years ago was one of Cilla's neighbours in Denham - and had very similar stories to tell of her and her vile behaviour.

She was rude to locals, downright rude to fans, and insisted on being addressed all the time as "Mrs Willis". She also threw a hissy fit if anyone dared to call her Cilla. Apparently the "scouse" accent was also totally absent!

I lived in Liverpool for 9 years, and can honestly say that I never heard a single scouser speak in an accent like Cilla's..... The way she said hurr for hair and thurr for there etc is not scouse - the say it with a very long a, sort of like saying Aero without the O at the end and a slightly longer a.....

The problem with Cilla Black's Liverpool accent is that she still retains/ affects the 1960s burr in it...Paul McCartneys the same but to a lesser extent. Whereas for the natives still here, the accent has, as us locals have said on here, evolved to the current more harsher guttural tone...hair for instance would lose the 'h' even and become errr. Not everyone speaks like that here either...I can even speak in RP if theres an 'r' in the month ....an a comb me errr firrrrrst !! !:):)
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm not a trolley hunk and I have met her many times and worked at LWT in the early nineties and she is an absolutely vile woman, Bobby was an equally repulsive excuse for a man who was portrayed as the loving husband and family man when in reality he was just as vile as her.

I heard the two of the having blazing rows many a time, rows about trivial things and him allegedly not keeping it in his pants. Black is up there with Blair on my hope they get canned list, that's how much of an effect she had on me, her tenure on Blind Date was a rather horrid time as she was particularly vile towards the female contestants.

I'm not going to criticise the actors as the cast are brilliant, my only regret is Jeff Pope has not written it as most in the industry see her, warts and all would be more interesting than a sanatised version of the life story of an utter bitch.[/QUOTE]

You must be really upset about how she treated you at LWT as I presume she did given your level of disgust with her. However, I don't see how the writer could depict her as you say how most in the industry see her given in this shes hardly in "the industry" as a fledgling pop star starting out. (Id be bored stiff to be honest with "Cilla:The Blind Date Years", but then again I was nearly always out Saturday nights in my prime when that was on telly.) Ive only ever seen Cilla and Bobby off screen in the 80s walking through Liverpool back to the hotel when they were staying at the Holiday Inn during one of her Xmas Panto seasons. They were killing themselves laughing and waving as Scouse van drivers and all sorts were shouting "look 'oo it is....Surprise Surprise...alright Cilla girl,,,alright Bobby lad ". I do know though that she was regularly back home when her Mum was alive and living in Woolton a suburb of Liverpool near where John Lennon was brought up.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we need ten threads going on and on about how nasty cilla is according to a friend of a friend, I dont care a fig if she is nasty, I dont get nasty in songs. Can the cilla hate be limited to one thread?

I agree, can we just stick to commenting on the drama, that's what people come on here for, isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said she was an English singing star :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhQDx_4Lgg

Just looking at my Ed Sullivan Shows dvd's with the beatles includes all four complete episodes Feb 9th 1964, Feb 16th, Feb 23rd & Sept 12th 1965 Cilla Black is on twice September In The Rain & Goin' Out Of My Head The Beatles sing six songs the last one being Help! Cilla Black did another spot in 1966 it might be that where he say's she's from Wales England? Ed Sullivan Shows were not pop shows it was like Sunday Night At The London Palladium all sorts of acts, On the first show with the Beatles you had Tessie O'Shea anyone remember her! and the cast of Oliver Georgia Brown with Jack Wild singing I'll Do Anything For You & talk about hard sell it must have been a real suprise to the Beatles at the start 2 mins in an add for headache tablets! Thank god you can fast forward:)
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just looking at my Ed Sullivan Shows dvd's with the beatles includes all four complete episodes Feb 9th 1964, Feb 16th, Feb 23rd & Sept 12th 1965 Cilla Black is on twice September In The Rain & Goin' Out Of My Head The Beatles sing six songs the last one being Help! Cilla Black did another spot in 1966 it might be that where he say's she's from Wales England? Ed Sullivan Shows were not pop shows it was like Sunday Night At The London Palladium all sorts of acts, On the first show with the Beatles you had Tessie O'Shea anyone remember her! and the cast of Oliver Georgia Brown with Jack Wild singing I'll Do Anything For You & talk about hard sell it must have been a real suprise to the Beatles at the start 2 mins in an add for headache tablets! Thank god you can fast forward:)

It's probably just another urban myth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably just another urban myth.

Could be it say's that in next weeks Radio Times Ed Sullivan say's Wales in England & who could doubt the Radio Times be honest :D
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I agree, can we just stick to commenting on the drama, that's what people come on here for, isn't it?

If we stuck to only commenting on the topic of the first post, it'd be how much more attractive Sheridan is compared to Cilla!
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree with the general consensus, programmes great, Cilla herself not.