Comments

• General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irreversible.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heaven's Gate- western that's 3 hours 40 minutes long and features several scenes where horses are clearly really hurt or killed, though I'd imagine all of that was gone in the UK edit which I've never seen.

Salo/120 days of Sodom- Shit eating- yum.

Antichrist- bothered me more than any other cinema film I think. Just nasty, even if it really was just a joke to see if the chattering classes would take it seriously.

Kotoko- Japanese drama from the director of Tetsuo, almost unwatchable due to the shaky cam.

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me- gave me nightmares as an adult, it has a sense of nihilism about it that just creeps me out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Funny Games,

great shout.

I would like to add Eden Lake, god that film is so f***ed up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Good Day to Die Hard.

I just.....i just can't watch it again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once were warriors.

Poor grace

One Were Warriors, seriously?

Why did you find this hard to watch out of curiousity?
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    One Were Warriors, seriously?

Why did you find this hard to watch out of curiousity?

Wasn't that on this week?

I thought it was ok that fillum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that on this week?

I thought it was ok that fillum

What Becomes of the Broken Hearted I could understand tbh, that film was mank.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me- gave me nightmares as an adult, it has a sense of nihilism about it that just creeps me out

That's interesting.

Can you elaborate on what it was about it exactly you find nihilistic?

You make it sound far more interesting than I found it.

When I've tried watching it, I've found it to be boring, silly and annoying.

It has a few seconds of decent surrealism in it. But a few seconds of surrealsim, do not a good film make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting.

It has a few seconds of decent surrealism in it. But a few seconds of surrealsim, do not a good film make.

Well I realize it's a marmite film, you like it or you don't, I just found the sense of dread, the fact there are no heroic characters, the fact you get the sense bob will murder everyone in TP in the end incredible. And if everyone dies, whats the point? It is nihilistic. I'm sure he was lovely in real life, but I find Frank Silva spectacularly creepy as well, I can't explain it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B5pE1DEHyk

I suppose the idea 'your demons will get you in the end' is- speaking as someone who has had addiction issues- an idea that gets to me. Maybe it's true, that's the thing, And that's a frightening idea.

It's Lynch's best film and the best horror film I've ever seen, in my 'umble opinion.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saving Private Ryan, particularly the scene with the fight between the big German and the American...I find that scene really harrowing!
  • cdon77cdon77 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    The star wars prequel trilogy
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with Martyrs, an excellent film but a hard watch.

I agree it's difficult to watch but in a different way to most people...because it's shit.

It started interesting enough but the ending that everyone seems to find so disturbing just bored me rigid.

It's just the cinematic equivalent of a Death Metal album cover. Not even a good Death Metal album cover, one of those really juvenile, desperate-to-shock, rubbish Death Metal albums that would get passed around in school because someone in your class knew the bassist's brother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's difficult to watch but in a different way to most people...because it's shit.

It started interesting enough but the ending that everyone seems to find so disturbing just bored me rigid.

It's just the cinematic equivalent of a Death Metal album cover. Not even a good Death Metal album cover, one of those really juvenile, desperate-to-shock, rubbish Death Metal albums that would get passed around in school because someone in your class knew the bassist's brother.

Think it's just people are so used to watching Motion Picture Association of America approved horror movies that when one with stronger content than that turns up people think it a revelation.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead - Just f'ked up weird. :eek:

I have watched it 8 times though! It doesn't get easier to watch! :D
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Road. Very bleak and ultimately too depressing.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hangover
    Happy Feet
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it's just people are so used to watching Motion Picture Association of America approved horror movies that when one with stronger content than that turns up people think it a revelation.

In it's own way I thought it was very Hollywood. The way that the violence was just shovelled in for the sake of it was very reminiscent of the way US films just shovel in CGI for the sake of it.

The end felt like it was written by two 15 year old boys during lunchtime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's interesting.

I really like 'Fire Walk With Me', though I have to admit I had mixed feelings at first. I completely agree that the film can be hard to watch, or maybe even nihilistic.

The film has a very different atmosphere from the series - while the series could be very dark and scary, it could also be very funny and light-hearted at times. The film, however, focuses purely on the murders, the seedy sex, the drugs and even shows incestual rape. Focusing on the story of Laura Palmer makes the film very, very bleak - and if you're watching the film after the series, you already know what will happen to Laura Palmer at the end, which only makes it feel even more despairing and hopeless. As previously mentioned, Bob is an incredibly unsettling character anyway, and he has a more prominent role in the film than in the series.

What also makes the film so dark is the new information you get about other characters. In the series, you get to know the characters and their personalities, and even care about some of them. Yet in the film you discover that Dale Cooper has a pretty miserable fate, that Bobby has killed someone, and you see how James, Donna and so on have their relationships with Laura torn apart.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I realize it's a marmite film, you like it or you don't, I just found the sense of dread, the fact there are no heroic characters, the fact you get the sense bob will murder everyone in TP in the end incredible. And if everyone dies, whats the point? It is nihilistic. I'm sure he was lovely in real life, but I find Frank Silva spectacularly creepy as well, I can't explain it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B5pE1DEHyk

I suppose the idea 'your demons will get you in the end' is- speaking as someone who has had addiction issues- an idea that gets to me. Maybe it's true, that's the thing, And that's a frightening idea.

It's Lynch's best film and the best horror film I've ever seen, in my 'umble opinion.
    embryo wrote: »
    I really like 'Fire Walk With Me', though I have to admit I had mixed feelings at first. I completely agree that the film can be hard to watch, or maybe even nihilistic.

The film has a very different atmosphere from the series - while the series could be very dark and scary, it could also be very funny and light-hearted at times. The film, however, focuses purely on the murders, the seedy sex, the drugs and even shows incestual rape. Focusing on the story of Laura Palmer makes the film very, very bleak - and if you're watching the film after the series, you already know what will happen to Laura Palmer at the end, which only makes it feel even more despairing and hopeless. As previously mentioned, Bob is an incredibly unsettling character anyway, and he has a more prominent role in the film than in the series.

What also makes the film so dark is the new information you get about other characters. In the series, you get to know the characters and their personalities, and even care about some of them. Yet in the film you discover that Dale Cooper has a pretty miserable fate, that Bobby has killed someone, and you see how James, Donna and so on have their relationships with Laura torn apart.

I like dark stuff. The darker the better. It's just that I didn't really get that from Fire Walk With Me.

But you've both got me in the mood to give it (yet another!) try.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,079
    Forum Member
    Threads
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I agree with Boys dont cry. Watched that years ago. Such a sad movie.

Fire walk with me i absolutely love, although i am into everything twin peaks. Bought the gold edition from new zealand of the series and have the diaries of laura and dale.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Ketchum's The Girl Next Door (shudders)

ugh...
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Requiem for a dream
    Requiem for a Dream

Hard to watch but also good to watch.

The ending, with the final fates of the three druggies intercut, was pretty bizarre and disturbing.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Corky Romano
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Nil By Mouth, a truly brilliant piece of work , but 'gritty and hard hitting drama' doesn't even come close, there are scenes i still have to look away from.