If Delgado Never Died?

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How different would the history of Doctor Who been if Delgado didn't die? In my opinion his death changed the entire history of Doctor Who. His death inspired Pertwee to leave so Tom probably wouldn't have been cast. DelgadoMaster would've probably been a long running villain that would've spanned the entire Classic Series, no decomposed Master, no Ainley Master. Would the show have even been cancelled?

Comments

• Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Master would never have returned in Doctor Who, meaning series 3 of the new series would likely have featured Daleks as the season finale 'big bad' and Cybermen would have been the only villains of Dark Water/Death In Heaven.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had the guts to bring the Master back after Delgado died, I think they would've kept him on as a character after Delgado would've left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, there's also "The Final Game" to consider - that they were maybe planning to reveal the Doctor and the Master to be yin and yang.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Final_Game_%28TV_story%29

Honestly, I don't think much would've changed. Delgado would've left at some point, and I suspect the Master might've been absent for the rest of the 70s. If the show had continued pretty much as was, I reckon JNT would've brought the character back, as he did, and recast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    They had the guts to bring the Master back after Delgado died, I think they would've kept him on as a character after Delgado would've left.

I really don't think they would. They planned to write the Master out before Delgado's awful car crash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't think they would. They planned to write the Master out before Delgado's awful car crash.

Just like that time they wrote Davros out at the end of his story. ;-)
    Or when they wrote The Evil of the Daleks to be the Daleks 'final end'.
    Or when they wrote K9 out of the show in the 80s.
    (etc.)

Writing someone or something out doesn't mean someone else won't bring them back later on. I bet JNT would've always brought back the Master, had the character survived post-Pertwee or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like that time they wrote Davros out at the end of his story. ;-)
    Or when they wrote The Evil of the Daleks to be the Daleks 'final end'.
    Or when they wrote K9 out of the show in the 80s.
    (etc.)

Writing someone or something out doesn't mean someone else won't bring them back later on. I bet JNT would've always brought back the Master, had the character survived post-Pertwee or not.

True. But I think if the exit story had been done right, there might have been a sense that the Master's return could tarnish it somewhat or that Roger Degaldo's shoes would be too big to fill (although there might have already been a element of that anyway at the time).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. But I think if the exit story had been done right, there might have been a sense that the Master's return could tarnish it somewhat or that Roger Degaldo's shoes would be too big to fill (although there might have already been a element of that anyway at the time).

Well, I know a lot of fans who said, at the time, that The End of Time would've been a neat final ever story for the Master -- that, at the end of his life, he redeems himself and sacrifices himself to save the Doctor and defeat the Time Lords. (I don't necessarily agree, but I can see where they were coming from.) Even if they'd properly somehow killed the Master off in the 70s, he would've been back if some future producer wished it so. (At this point, I should also state that, as much as I like Jacobi and some Ainley, I'm one of those fans who thinks the Master should never have returned post-Delgado, and the same with Davros post-Wisher.)
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if watching time travel shows has taught us anything, it should be that even a minor alteration to the timeline could have a huge effect. Something as major as the death/survival of a semi-regular cast member would be so massive that it renders the OP's question meaningless.

These threads may be OK for speculating on how X actor would have got along with Y, but the whole concept of "What if a dead man lived?" is just silly as anything other than a fictional conceit.