Options

Where do I go to get a DVD decoder?

c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
Forum Member
Hello everyone,

I would like to play DVDs on my computer, my computer runs on Windows XP and I have Window Media Player 11.

I put a DVD in the drive and a message on Window Media Player showed up saying "that I needed a DVD decoder to play DVDs".

So I would like to ask this how do I get a DVD decoder?

Comments

• Options
    NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    Just use an alternative media player such as VLC: http://www.videolan.org/
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Install FFDShow: http://abcde.co.uk/links/index.php#F

This will allow you to play DVD in WMP11 etc...
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k-lite codec (free download, just install standard edition) will also you play DVD and just about any format you are likely to come across.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I downloaded k-lite codec and when I put the DVD, Windows Media Player showed this message:
    "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a free one called AVS DVD Player that will work. I don't *think* it was loaded with adverts.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »
    Well I downloaded k-lite codec and when I put the DVD, Windows Media Player showed this message:
    "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

Pay it back via media player classic, its installed as part of k-lite
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost always just use VLC.
    No doubt it is the 2nd most used after Windows Media Player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have changed downloaded CCCP (The Combined Community Codec Pack) I put a DVD in and so far it is working well.