Life's Too Short - Starts 9:30pm on 10th November - Warwick Davies, Ricky Gervais

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is there no Poll Option for 'Yes, I enjoyed it?'
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    If you can get the BBC HD channel then the christmas special of Extras is being repeated tonight at 11.30pm

Watching this mediocre series makes me want to watch Extras again.
  • SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean Karl Pilkington has been tested?
    By who, and what for?
    He has a mental disorder, condition, or illness?

Can you elaborate on this please?

Karl Pilkington has an IQ of 80. The average person has an IQ of 100. 65 is around the level of serious retardation. He is essentially a grown man with the intelligence of most 8 to 10 year olds. They established this on their radio show when they wanted to find out how thick Karl really was.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superbeast wrote: »
    Karl Pilkington has an IQ of 80. The average person has an IQ of 100. 65 is around the level of serious retardation. He is essentially a grown man with the intelligence of most 8 to 10 year olds. They established this on their radio show when they wanted to find out how thick Karl really was.

I don't think that the results of an IQ test establishes somebody as being thick.

As far as I'm aware Karl Pilkington was a producer before he started doing all this stuff with Ricky Gervais where he is presented as a sidekick persona. So whatever he scored in some IQ test I don't believe him to be thick.

Whatever is 'established' on a radio show it's worth remembering that it is a radio show.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why the poll criteria is asking for answers that are weighted towards extremes.
    Better than Extras, better than The Office, and did not enjoy it, and was only okay.
    The middle answer asks if it is the best comedy on TV currently, which doesn't really leave us with many options.
    It makes it appear as though the poll is unbalanced and asking loaded questions.

What about 'Good' or 'Very Good'?
  • Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why the poll criteria is asking for answers that are weighted towards extremes.
    Better than Extras, better than The Office, and did not enjoy it, and was only okay.
    The middle answer asks if it is the best comedy on TV currently, which doesn't really leave us with many options.
    It makes it appear as though the poll is unbalanced and asking loaded questions.

What about 'Good' or 'Very Good'?

Because the poll asks how much are you enjoying the series. So you couldn't answer good. :D

I've actually enjoyed this series quite a lot. There are weak bits and there have been a few duff episodes, but on the whole, it's been pretty good. I've enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Extras, which for some reason, I couldn't get into quite as much as this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that the results of an IQ test establishes somebody as being thick.

As far as I'm aware Karl Pilkington was a producer before he started doing all this stuff with Ricky Gervais where he is presented as a sidekick persona. So whatever he scored in some IQ test I don't believe him to be thick.

Whatever is 'established' on a radio show it's worth remembering that it is a radio show.

Suit yourself, dude is 15 points above retardation.

He was a sound engineer. Not sure what you even mean by producer. XFM funded the show, they were the producers.

IQ tests are there to establish a person's potential for learning. Karl is sadly one of those people who is literally too stupid to be taught much else given his intellectual capabilities.
  • Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was a sound engineer. Not sure what you even mean by producer. XFM funded the show, they were the producers.

IQ tests are there to establish a person's potential for learning. Karl is sadly one of those people who is literally too stupid to be taught much else given his intellectual capabilities.

I think his point was that if Karl was actually that thick he wouldn't have that technical a job.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was a radio producer on XFM, and I also watched the show where Karl goes for the IQ test. It was obviously staged to play up to his thick persona.

I'm not saying Karl is Bamber Gascoine, but he's definitely not as dim as he's portayed!

I'm still watching Life's Too Short, but it's definitely a disappointment. I think it's main problem is there's nobody to root for. Warwick is playing David Brent, but a far less likeable version of him:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think his point was that if Karl was actually that thick he wouldn't have that technical a job.

Plugging in microphones and adjusting the levels so their is no hiss is not exactly hard work. The dude had to make sure a radio show was broadcast on time and he had lights to prompt him and countdowns... it's not like he's adjusting the levels constantly like it's a live mixing desk and a music festival. There are plenty of unintelligent people in employment. Do you honestly think the British workforce are all completely competent? Because I think you just have to look at any recent government review to realise that isn't the case, whether it's hospitals or social carers where staff literally can't do their jobs properly even when their are code of conduct notices posted on every other wall. If anything dumb people are better employees because they don't think above their station, have less chance of promotion and therefore will stay on base rate wages even if they do a poor job most of the time. Just look at the review of Southwark's hospitals for example.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final episode is tomorrow - Tuesday - at 10 pm on BBC2 and BBC HD, in case anyone else has only just realised.
  • PilgPilg Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Probably hoping people wont see it, it surely can't get any worse though?
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I don't think I ever seen such a wonderful opportunity for a really great, classic sitcom wasted as Life's To Short.

The docu/reality side is all over the place and not as believable as in The Office, at times Warrick must have at least 4 cameras following him, and the scenes that really shone were when they just didn't bother with it at all. Like the door eye hole scene followed by the washing machine scenes, and pretty much the whole party scene, take away the odd look to camera, for me this was exactly how the show should have been.

Warrick Davis is wonderful in these scenes, such as ringing up celebs for his party, and also the interaction between his character and the dumb assistant have been the highlights of a very muddles series. I just wish they had let Warrick have free reign, and not as many 'Brent' style foot in mouth dialogue moments,, as there is only one way to do Brent style dialogue. Warrick is best when he is playing a version of himself.

Do away with the docu-drama, as the style is pretty much old hat now, do away with Ricky and Steve's cameos, keep the odd guest star slot but don't cram it in like Liam Niesons.

I hope they make another series but just make it a sitcom in the vein of Extras as mixing it with docu-reality of The Office just isn't working, for me. Take the character of the solicitor, great comedy 'prat', but it doesn't sit we'll as a character in the context of a docu-reality.

For me the last episode, with the eyehole and washing machine, almost got there but again the docu-reality style suffocated it too many times.

I'm a big fan of Ricky and Steve's work *and as a fan, not just of the gags but how The Office and Extras were made, I just feel this has been a wasted opportunity when I genuinely believe it could have been up there with their best work.

But hey, just a fan, I don't hold any pretence that I could do *better myself in a millions years.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Plugging in microphones and adjusting the levels so their is no hiss is not exactly hard work. The dude had to make sure a radio show was broadcast on time and he had lights to prompt him and countdowns... it's not like he's adjusting the levels constantly like it's a live mixing desk and a music festival. There are plenty of unintelligent people in employment. Do you honestly think the British workforce are all completely competent? Because I think you just have to look at any recent government review to realise that isn't the case, whether it's hospitals or social carers where staff literally can't do their jobs properly even when their are code of conduct notices posted on every other wall. If anything dumb people are better employees because they don't think above their station, have less chance of promotion and therefore will stay on base rate wages even if they do a poor job most of the time. Just look at the review of Southwark's hospitals for example.
    Karl was Head of Production at XFM London. That involves a lot more than plugging in microphones. The fact that you obviously didn't even know what "producer" means in this context shows that you have no qualification to speak about the duties of Karl's job or his capability in carrying them out.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

people that think karl pilkington is stupid need their own IQ checked. He is obviously playing up the idiot angle.

arrogant post as well, nice one
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I ever seen such a wonderful opportunity for a really great, classic sitcom wasted as Life's To Short.

The docu/reality side is all over the place and not as believable as in The Office, at times Warrick must have at least 4 cameras following him, and the scenes that really shone were when they just didn't bother with it at all. Like the door eye hole scene followed by the washing machine scenes, and pretty much the whole party scene, take away the odd look to camera, for me this was exactly how the show should have been.

Warrick Davis is wonderful in these scenes, such as ringing up celebs for his party, and also the interaction between his character and the dumb assistant have been the highlights of a very muddles series. I just wish they had let Warrick have free reign, and not as many 'Brent' style foot in mouth dialogue moments,, as there is only one way to do Brent style dialogue. Warrick is best when he is playing a version of himself.

Do away with the docu-drama, as the style is pretty much old hat now, do away with Ricky and Steve's cameos, keep the odd guest star slot but don't cram it in like Liam Niesons.

I hope they make another series but just make it a sitcom in the vein of Extras as mixing it with docu-reality of The Office just isn't working, for me. Take the character of the solicitor, great comedy 'prat', but it doesn't sit we'll as a character in the context of a docu-reality.

For me the last episode, with the eyehole and washing machine, almost got there but again the docu-reality style suffocated it too many times.

I'm a big fan of Ricky and Steve's work *and as a fan, not just of the gags but how The Office and Extras were made, I just feel this has been a wasted opportunity when I genuinely believe it could have been up there with their best work.

But hey, just a fan, I don't hold any pretence that I could do *better myself in a millions years.
    I hope they make another series. Warwick Davis has been a revelation.

It's true the docu-reality format is not really necessary, but at the same time I don't think it detracts from the enjoyment. I'm not sure the ringing up celebs scene would have worked quite so well without him talking to camera (trying to 'save face' after each rejection).

The scenes between him and his gormless assistant are classic - especially the one where they were viewing the flat.

I agree they could get rid of Ricky's and Stephan's cameos and most of the celeb ones (although they should keep the three wise monkeys - Les Dennis,'Barry' and Cheggers :))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    people that think karl pilkington is stupid need their own IQ checked. He is obviously playing up the idiot angle.

arrogant post as well, nice one

Playing it up is one up is one thing, it being entirely an act id another. Amty Childs is clearly not as dumb as she looks or she wouldn't make the money she does but obviously she has a team around her to help her manage things.

As for my own IQ, test last year had me at 146. So that barb is toothless spiteful supposition I can disprove.

As for arrogant, I'm sorry, have you read the Southwark healthcare reports? If not, you have no grounds to make such a claim without adequate information to discredit my views as arrogant.

It's easy to dismiss a legit suggestion than attempt to even counterargue with anything based in susbstance and to deride their opinion as rubbish without backing up your own.

Please, enlighten me exactly what Karl's serious duties were as a sound engineer? I am quite aware what a radio producer does and cueing up adverts, songs, and switching from live broadcast to off air does not require a genius level intellect. It requires following protocol, watching clocks and lights and making hand gestures while occasionally whispering in the ear of the radio personality. But I guess it's easier to think I don't know what I am talking about for your own ends, doesn't it? Hell, my mate who works on British movies has a tougher job since he has to balance SFX levels, scores, foley, background noise and foreground dialogue for movies, that's a lot more involved technically.

Don't bother replying if you have nothing of substance. it's a waste of time.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing it up is one up is one thing, it being entirely an act id another. Amty Childs is clearly not as dumb as she looks ............

Someone's attempting to have a laugh here, aren't they? Come on, you're having a laugh. And who's Amty Childs? And where does Southwark come into it?
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I'm not the biggest fan of Extras but that was on the other day and compared to this it's amazing, Gervais is definitely on a downward trajectory artistically.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I stayed watching until the end, I think in the hope there would be something to turn it around. There wasn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing it up is one up is one thing, it being entirely an act id another. Amty Childs is clearly not as dumb as she looks or she wouldn't make the money she does but obviously she has a team around her to help her manage things.

As for my own IQ, test last year had me at 146. So that barb is toothless spiteful supposition I can disprove.

As for arrogant, I'm sorry, have you read the Southwark healthcare reports? If not, you have no grounds to make such a claim without adequate information to discredit my views as arrogant.

It's easy to dismiss a legit suggestion than attempt to even counterargue with anything based in susbstance and to deride their opinion as rubbish without backing up your own.

Please, enlighten me exactly what Karl's serious duties were as a sound engineer? I am quite aware what a radio producer does and cueing up adverts, songs, and switching from live broadcast to off air does not require a genius level intellect. It requires following protocol, watching clocks and lights and making hand gestures while occasionally whispering in the ear of the radio personality. But I guess it's easier to think I don't know what I am talking about for your own ends, doesn't it? Hell, my mate who works on British movies has a tougher job since he has to balance SFX levels, scores, foley, background noise and foreground dialogue for movies, that's a lot more involved technically.

I'm sure you're right, it probably is a waste of time replying to someone who's already made their mind up - but radio producer, quite a lot taken.

For someone who boasts about an intellect of "146," you're not exactly a dab hand with the maths. If 65 is the level of serious retardation (I'll happily take your word for it!), and Karl's got 80, that means he's precisely fifteen whole points away from retardation.

Incidentally, the mean IQ is set at 100, with "normal" IQs ranging from 85-115 on the Stanford-Bidet scale. So while Karl's not the brightest lad in the galaxy - and he'd be among the first to admit that he's not Shakespeare - that's leagues away from an official handicap. If you insist on taking IQ test results seriously. Which I don't, but if you're gonna take 'em as the grounds for your argument you might as well use the actual figures.

Also, 146 would place you above Napoleon, according to Cox's estimate (1926). Just thought I'd mention.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is there no Poll Option for 'Yes, I enjoyed it?'

Yes I made the poll options pretty quickly after starting the thread. I just know that DS is full off people saying yes it is good but its not as good as Extras, The Office etc...

The final episode was pretty decent, Warwick got dropped in it by Sting, but gave him a right mouthful. 3 or 4 episodes were enjoyable, the others were okay.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please keep the thread on topic as the mods would no doubt say, this discussion is about Life's Too Short - not the comedy genius Karl Pilkington. :D
  • 93_ZJ93_ZJ Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Please, enlighten me exactly what Karl's serious duties were as a sound engineer? I am quite aware what a radio producer does and cueing up adverts, songs, and switching from live broadcast to off air does not require a genius level intellect
    No, you don't need to be a genius, and indeed you don't need to be a genius to do 99% of the jobs in this world, including whatever it is that you do yourself.

But being the producer of a live radio programme requires intelligence, focus, organisational skill, and the ability to think clearly and quickly under pressure. Technical ability is useful, but not necessarily essential. Editorial skill is vital, since as producer you are responsible for enacting the station's editorial policy in respect of your programme, so a good understanding of broadcast regulations and things like the laws of slander and libel is necessary too.
    Hell, my mate who works on British movies has a tougher job since he has to balance SFX levels, scores, foley, background noise and foreground dialogue for movies, that's a lot more involved technically
    No it's not. Any sound engineer working in radio will have the necessary technical aptitude to do that job, they'd just need to be taught the job-specific protocols.

And of course, your friend isn't working in a live scenario, he doesn't have to make rapid time-critical editorial decisions, he hasn't got only one chance to get everything right, and if he makes a mistake, nobody hears it but himself - he can keep on polishing his mix, auditioning and tweaking each section until it's perfect.

That's not to say that your friend isn't skilled, because he is. Sound engineering requires skill, but your friend in movies doesn't have any greater skill than any good radio sound engineer, in fact he will share pretty much all of his skills in common with radio sound engineers. Understanding acoustics, EQ, dynamics, reverb... these are fundamental principles that are shared whether you're mixing radio programmes, TV programmes, live concerts or movie soundtracks.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen the whole series i thought it ended brilliantly! It was classic! :D

It wasn't a great series but it was good enough for me and i certainly enjoyed it. It started off patchy but halfway through as it went along imo it got better and better.

You felt sorry for him in last night's episode and the phone call from Amy was sweet in the end.

Highlights was Stings auction, his rant at Sting and getting kicked out! Oh and finding out where he was sleeping! :D

7/10 for me. Another series please....