Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a rundown of the Carry On films screening on terrestrial/Freeview up to & incl. Fri. 22nd:-

FRIDAY 15TH:- CARRY ON SERGEANT (1958), More 4 - 11.50am-1.30pm.

SATURDAY 16TH:- CARRY ON HENRY (1971), ITV3 - 12.20-2.10pm.

SUNDAY 17TH:- CARRY ON HENRY (1971), ITV3 - 6.45-8.35am.

CARRY ON ADMIRAL (1957) - (not part of the Carry On series, but listed here anyway should your curiosity get the better of you!) - Movie Mix - 2.45-4.25pm.

WEDNESDAY 20TH:- CARRY ON SPYING (1964), Channel 4 - 12.25-2.10pm, Channel 4 +1 - 1.25-3.10pm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    SATURDAY 16TH:- CARRY ON HENRY (1971), ITV3 - 12.20-2.10pm.

SUNDAY 17TH:- CARRY ON HENRY (1971), ITV3 - 6.45-8.35am....

WEDNESDAY 20TH:- CARRY ON SPYING (1964), Channel 4 - 12.25-2.10pm, Channel 4 +1 - 1.25-3.10pm.

Thank you, Mr Sirs, for the times and dates when Carry On films are being shown this week and next week (last posting to this thread).

It is good to see that Carry On Henry and Carry On Spying - both very good films - are being broadcast again. For some time they were not on UK terrestrial television at all but have been shown more frequently in the last three years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Mr Sirs, for the times and dates when Carry On films are being shown this week and next week (last posting to this thread).

It is good to see that Carry On Henry and Carry On Spying - both very good films - are being broadcast again. For some time they were not on UK terrestrial television at all but have been shown more frequently in the last three years.

You are very welcome. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry On Films to look forward to on terrestrial/Freeview tv:-

SATURDAY 23RD:- CARRY ON BEHIND (1975), Film 4 - 5.05-6.55pm (Film 4 +1 - 6.05-7.55pm).

THURSDAY 28TH:- CARRY ON BEHIND (1975), Film 4 - 2.45-4.30pm (Film 4 +1 - 3.45-5.30pm).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great watching Carry On Spying yesterday afternoon, I hadn't seen it for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was great watching Carry On Spying yesterday afternoon, I hadn't seen it for years.

I am glad you enjoyed watching Carry On Spying, Secret Treaties. I think it is one of the best of the Carry On films.

For some years the black-and-white Carry On films (including Carry On Spying) were not shown on UK terrestrial television. Fortunately, that has changed more recently with Channel 4, Film 4 and More 4 broadcasting some of them on a regular basis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it too - not feeling too well at the moment and it cheered me right up.

I also noticed that it may be the first example of the annoying heart made by a person's forefingers and thumbs that appeared on television that seems to be everywhere right now! I thought it was a modern thing, obviously not!
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody bought the Carry On Screaming Bluray ?

I have and it looks absolutely superb. Also, the extras are fantastic and I had never seen them before. I highly recommend this purchase to any Carry On fan.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The one I miss most out of the regulars, when they are not all in a Carry On film, is SId James. Carry On Behind would have been so much better with Sid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A reminder for this afternoon (!), and some more on the way...

THURSDAY 28TH:- CARRY ON BEHIND (1975), Film 4 - 2.45-4.30pm (Film 4 +1 - 3.45-5.30pm).

MONDAY 2ND:- CARRY ON ABROAD (1972), Film 4 - 12.45-2.30pm (Film 4 + 1 - 1.45-3.30pm).

THURSDAY 5TH:- CARRY ON CONSTABLE (1960), Channel 4 - 12.25-2.10pm (Channel 4 +1 - 1.25-3.10pm).

FRIDAY 6TH:- CARRY ON NURSE (1959), Channel 4 - 12.25-2.10pm (Channel 4 +1 - 1.25-3.10pm).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is always enjoyable to watch Carry On Behind (starting on Film 4 at 2.45 pm today - from 3.45 pm today on Film 4 +1). What a shame that Elke Sommer, one of the stars of Carry On Behind, was not in more Carry On films.

Carry On Abroad (being shown on Film 4 from 12.45 pm on Monday 2.12.2013 and on Film 4 +1 from 1.45 pm on the same day) is one of the few Carry On films to have nearly all of the Carry On stars in it.

There are more details about Carry On films on television in the next week from Mr Sirs in the last posting to this thread.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is always enjoyable to watch Carry On Behind (starting on Film 4 at 2.45 pm today - from 3.45 pm today on Film 4 +1). What a shame that Elke Sommer, one of the stars of Carry On Behind, was not in more Carry On films.

She was a popular guest Carry On star, with Kenneth Williams in particular. But her wage for Carry On Behind was £30,000, six times that of Williams or Sid James.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one I miss most out of the regulars, when they are not all in a Carry On film, is SId James. Carry On Behind would have been so much better with Sid.

I dunno about that ...

Carry On Behind is the last of the great Carry Ons, and Windsor Davies and Jack Douglas step into the Sid and Bernie roles perfecftly well. It's Jack's best C.O performance (just about the only one where he doesn't do that annoying twitch/wahey thing). Ken W is good. Elke Sommer is a natural. Sherrie Hewson and Carol Hawkins are fine as the dollybirds. Peter Butterworth is fantastic, as always.

I don't think this film misses Sid, as there is so much going on, and such a good mix of other characters and other actors.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I dunno about that ...

Carry On Behind is the last of the great Carry Ons, and Windsor Davies and Jack Douglas step into the Sid and Bernie roles perfecftly well. It's Jack's best C.O performance (just about the only one where he doesn't do that annoying twitch/wahey thing). Ken W is good. Elke Sommer is a natural. Sherrie Hewson and Carol Hawkins are fine as the dollybirds. Peter Butterworth is fantastic, as always.

I don't think this film misses Sid, as there is so much going on, and such a good mix of other characters and other actors.
    I'm not saying that Windsor and Jack weren't great, just that I miss Sid when he's not present in a Carry On - just looking at him makes me laugh. :p
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry On Behind is the last of the great Carry Ons

Behind is the last of the half decent Carry Ons but I don't think a Carry On that is basically an inferior rehashing of a previous film can ever be called great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Terry Telly wrote: It is always enjoyable to watch Carry On Behind (starting on Film 4 at 2.45 pm today - from 3.45 pm today on Film 4 +1). What a shame that Elke Sommer, one of the stars of Carry On Behind, was not in more Carry On films.
    BritFlicks1 wrote: She was a popular guest Carry On star, with Kenneth Williams in particular. But her wage for Carry On Behind was £30,000, six times that of Williams or Sid James.

Yes, whenever I watch Carry On Behind it always looks as if Kenneth was pleased Elke Sommer had a leading role in the film.

I wonder if her appearance in Carry On Behind made it an even more popular film than any of the other Carry On films in her home country of Germany.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...Carry On Behind is the last of the great Carry Ons, and Windsor Davies and Jack Douglas step into the Sid and Bernie roles perfecftly well. It's Jack's best C.O performance...

I thought Jack did particularly well in the two Carry On Laughing television series made by ATV for ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ....just that I miss Sid when he's not present in a Carry On...

I agree.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Gutted I missed "Carry on Admiral" the other week.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xaulleo wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it too - not feeling too well at the moment and it cheered me right up.
    Sorry you're not feeling well, but I have found it's the best time to watch a Carry On - when you can't go to work and the family not expecting much off you due to being ill, you can snuggle up and watch a Carry On to give you a smile. Not surprised it cheered you up. ;)

Wish they show Carry On At Your Convenience, haven't seen that come on TV for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Gutted I missed "Carry on Admiral" the other week.

I am sorry you missed Carry On Admiral when it was last shown on television. I am sure it will be broadcast again, hopefully soon.

It is currently available on DVD at ebay and Play.com for under £12.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Wish they show Carry On At Your Convenience, haven't seen that come on TV for a while.

It is most likely to be broadcast on BBC 2 who have shown it twice in recent years - 2011 and last year.

BBC 2 have usually put Carry On At Your Convenience on on a May Saturday afternoon but they did not do so this year. It has not been on any other channel since it was last on BBC 2 so I assume the BBC still have the film.

I think that Carry On At Your Convenience is one of the best Carry On films ever made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As mentioned by Mr Sirs in posting 2561 to this thread, Carry On Abroad is on Film 4 today. It has just started on Film 4 +1.

Carry On Abroad is the twenty-fourth Carry On film and most of the Carry On stars are in it.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now matter how many times I watch it, "Abroad" still makes me laugh, its by far and away my favourite Carry On.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Now matter how many times I watch it, "Abroad" still makes me laugh, its by far and away my favourite Carry On.....

It is a great film and, sadly, the last Carry On with Charles Hawtrey.