Job Interview question help

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I have an interview on Sunday.
Its for a part-time job as a work colleague at a Pets At Home store.
The evening is like a group thing, being shown around the store, an interactive thing and then open questions.

What I would like to know is what sort of questions I should ask.

I have made up some sample questions but not sure if they are any good

Do you enjoy working here?
What are your best selling items?
What would be the main duties of a Store Colleague?
I saw on your site you offer a VIP club and wondered how you use the VIP Lifelines?

Comments

• Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Those questions sound good - except I wouldn't ask if they enjoy working there (in case they don't!) Say something positive like it seems like a good place to work and you'd enjoy being part of the team.

You could ask about aftercare pet services, do they recommend a particular vet, is there a vet affiliated to the company.

Best of luck with the interview :)
  • misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    So I have an interview on Sunday.
    Its for a part-time job as a work colleague at a Pets At Home store.
    The evening is like a group thing, being shown around the store, an interactive thing and then open questions.

What I would like to know is what sort of questions I should ask.

I have made up some sample questions but not sure if they are any good

What are your best selling items?
    What would be the main duties of a Store Colleague?
    I saw on your site you offer a VIP club and wondered how you use the VIP Lifelines?

As someone who has been involved in the interviewing process recently I would say the interview is less about do you enjoy working here and more about will you fit in with the team. I would take it for granted someone can do the job if they are at my door but whether they fit in with a close knit team is the clincher so just try and develop a rapport so you could start with best selling products or something and then see where it goes from there as most likely they will be observing you to see how you fit in.

Good luck

Best

M
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd ask about any training they may provide, what are the chance of advancing career wise within the company etc.

Good Luck :)
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone
    I'll be making loads of notes today now
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What benefits do you think i could get from the job? What benefits do you get for working here?
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be thinking about engaging in a conversation about why you are interested in working there. Do you have pet(s), where is the team fit?

Ask if they have a dog grooming salon attached to the store.

The recognised qualification for those running or working in a pet store is the C&G 7762 Pet Store Management Course, would you have an opportunity to study towards that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Can you tell me what a typical day/shift working here involves?

I would also avoid the generic questions re training, salary, holidays etc. They are the questions to be asked/negotiated (for salary), when they know they want you but you can still walk away if its not what you want.

Dont forget, interviews are just as much about you making sure the job is right for you as much as it is them making sure you are right for the job

Good luck :-)
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've had any experience with pets yourself, you might want to bring that up at some point, such as if you love walking your dog, playing with the hamster, or you can spot signs of illness in your pets, etc etc. Showing empathy with the "product" might be a good thing to prove to them.

If you don't have a pet, you could say you enjoy interacting with other people's pets when you go to visit friends?

Edit: I dunno, it might be cliched for Pets at Home, on second thoughts, but maybe others will advise you on that.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked two questions

1. What training do you offer?
    2. What pets do you have?

They were the first ones I thought of. One about the job and the other to build rapport.

The interactive involved being put into teams and then creating some sort of advert/poster etc to showcase the store. Then we had to stand up and share it. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I normally freeze up on these sort of things but actually offered some ideas and spoke in front of a bunch of people.
    It was worse at the start when you had to stand up and introduce yourself.

I don't see much of a chance of getting the job though as it was for one position and there were 17 other people there also applying, so statistically I have 1 in 18 of getting it
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »

I have phrased this as "what would you say is the best aspect of working life here?" it makes the interviewer think a little bit more then just offering them an easy "yes"