Girl Guides/ Brownies turning into feminazi indoctrination clubs?

DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://new.girlguiding.org.uk/report

http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/campaigns1.aspx

When did this happen? I just read this latest campaign and it appears they have turned into some women's rights movement and not a very good one at that. It's a real shame that something that used to be about camaraderie, camp fires, survival skills, sports and games now appears to be an awful feminists rights movement. :(

I really won't be encouraging my daughter to join if this is what they have descended to? :confused:

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I hate that word "feminazi".
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I hate that word "feminazi".

why? Its sums up that certain type of militant feminism perfectly and at least separates from feminists and egalitarians who believe in true equality.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know when they went all girl power myself, but I would hardly classify anything that you have linked as "feminazi".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    why? Its sums up that certain type of militant feminism perfectly and at least separates from feminists and egalitarians who believe in true equality.

Well, like "racist", "homophobic" etc it is another one of those overused words. It seems to get applied to situations where it should not be applied.
  • jazzyjackjazzyjack Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When did this happen? I just read this latest campaign and it appears they have turned into some women's rights movement and not a very good one at that. It's a real shame that something that used to be about camaraderie, camp fires, survival skills, sports and games now appears to be an awful feminists rights movement. :(

I really won't be encouraging my daughter to join if this is what they have descended to? :confused:

Really? I was in the Brownies and Guides for 8 years and gave up when I realised that they really did expect me to do little more than learn to cook and knit. You are getting what was essentially an outdated, religion based, long term home economics course confused with Scouts. The boys got to do all the fun stuff.

Anything that empowers young women to demand equality is fine by me and I am surprised and pleased to see the guide movement come out with something sensible.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter is upstairs this very minute putting on her Brownie uniform. She loves it. The links just seem to be the usual bumph about empowerment and equality that you get with most organisations who work with children. Policy schmolicy.

Girl Tinkers and her friends have not been exposed to any radical feminism and I doubt very much they will hear anything about the Stop Page 3 campaign in between making unidentifiable clay things and playing Duck Duck Goose.

I wouldn't let that put you off sending your daughter. If I was to be put off by anything it would be the hoo ha about making their Promise more open to non-Christians. But that wasn't the Bownies, that was the minister whose church hall was used who stamped his feet over that one.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, you lost me at "feminazi" too.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care about their 'attitudes' now.

When I was a brownie - only a year, I got thrown out, I think - the women who ran them were a hell of a lot scarier than most around nowadays.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I always have a nagging suspicion that use of the word feminazi with straight face requires there to be some crippling feelings of inadequacy on the part of the user tbh. And about the frickin brownies!!! lol how silly.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I always have a nagging suspicion that use of the word feminazi with straight face requires there to be some crippling feelings of inadequacy on the part of the user tbh. And about the frickin brownies!!! lol how silly.

I wish this forum would allow me to give "Karma". So true it hurts.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »

Maybe the OP got laughed at for having a small penis :D
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that the lefty Guardianistas hated the Scouts and Guides and wanted to abolish them.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    The way this title is worded i thought for a second the girl guides had got their own sub forum, damn femi-nazis
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did I miss something in the links? What's wrong with promoting self esteem, and wanting your voice to be heard?

Perhaps you could argue that the Brownies/ Guides shouldn't be used as an introduction to politics, I would see your point, and disagree.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

First BIB, the Cubs/Scouts not Brownies/Guides. Great informed start. Second BIB Ascended to and so they should. What do you want for your daughter? Baking scones and lessons in how to tie herself to the kitchen sink? There is absolutely nothing outrageous in the links but then, you are a man. Are you threatened by female equality if you have to attach sexist and stupid terms like "femanazi" to such simple issues Or is this a wind up? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

are you a feminazi truth? ;-)I think the way this word annoys people speaks volumes about the people who object to it, like the typical lefty do gooders who frequent these boards.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you a feminazi truth? ;-)I think the way this word annoys people speaks volumes about the people who object to it, like the typical lefty do gooders who frequent these boards.:p

Are you doing the bingo card of words that are meaningless insults?
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It speaks volumes about the man who invented it and how he resents women having any rights, I would say. Pathetic.:D
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you doing the bingo card of words that are meaningless insults?

I'm doing well. Someone just needs to say "sheeple" now and I'll win a bottle of Blue Nun.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read both the links and saw no connection to Nazism at all. I'd be happy for my daughter to join if she was able to.
    I went to girl guides once. I can vaguely remember some sort of homemade sweets and some prayers. This new version sounds much more interesting.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    The way this title is worded i thought for a second the girl guides had got their own sub forum, damn femi-nazis

There was one a while ago: Brownie Grrls. :D Part of the Riot Grrls / Spice Girls / Girl Power movement, I think. The national association shut it down as they didn't think it was appropriate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I'm doing well. Someone just needs to say "sheeple" now and I'll win a bottle of Blue Nun.

Now you've said that one of the sheeple around here will definitely say it. ;-) :D
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, you sound like the kind of Dad whose daughter would need this kind of input.
    Which point did the girls raise that got you objecting?

Sexual harrassment at school is ok by you? You'd tell her to take it as a compliment?
    FGM is not an appalling type of cruelty? It's just part of being a girl?

Girls should be not listened to the way they weren't at Rochdale?

The Girl Guide movement has always tried to encourage strong independent girls. It's more needed now than ever it was.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Considering the number of contributions the OP made to similar threads, I think he wants to be female. He seems to be so invested in women's issues and rights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    First BIB, the Cubs/Scouts not Brownies/Guides. Great informed start. Second BIB Ascended to and so they should. What do you want for your daughter? Baking scones and lessons in how to tie herself to the kitchen sink? There is absolutely nothing outrageous in the links but then, you are a man. Are you threatened by female equality if you have to attach sexist and stupid terms like "femanazi" to such simple issues Or is this a wind up? :D

the Brownies/ guides has always been the female equivalent of the cub scouts. That was the reason it was set up. Those links just sound like they could have been written by Harriet Harman to me and go too far the other way. I made an error when i said women's rights movement i should have said women's superiority movement.