Options

Same Sex Ballroom Dancing

Comments

• Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, the audience wasn't asked. The producers call the shots.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    There is no need or call for it.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Melissa. wrote: »
    There have been numerous celebrities who have taken part in strictly over the years. Being from the LGBT community and none have been given the chance to perform with their sex.

We have Scott Mills this year, who may have liked to be given a male partner. Which would have helped for better chemistry when dancing, heterosexual celebrities benefit from this intimate chemistry.

Marcus Collins dancing with his boyfriend Robin, rumour seemed to have been buried in the sand too.

I know DWTS in the USA haven't implemented this either. Is this to do with the older audience of the Strictly/Ballroom dancing shows?

Is the audience behind with the times, to accept same sex couples?

I'd like to hear your responses. :)

Pretty sure Mills said he didn't want a same-sex partner.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because men and women ballroom dance together.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same sex partners?

That's been done before, dancing in a ring round a pile of handbags in the middle.
    No one was interested. That wouldn't make good TV, nor would any other same sex alternative. The majority of viewers wouldn't like it, so it isn't going to happen as it could reduce the ratings.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing with a woman didn't stop Julian Clary coming third.
  • Options
    Melissa.Melissa. Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same sex partners?

That's been done before, dancing in a ring round a pile of handbags in the middle.
    No one was interested. That wouldn't make good TV, nor would any other same sex alternative. The majority of viewers wouldn't like it, so it isn't going to happen as it could reduce the ratings.

Yeah. Just as I thought. :)
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa. wrote: »
    There have been numerous celebrities who have taken part in strictly over the years. Being from the LGBT community and none have been given the chance to perform with their sex.

We have Scott Mills this year, who may have liked to be given a male partner. Which would have helped for better chemistry when dancing, heterosexual celebrities benefit from this intimate chemistry.

Marcus Collins dancing with his boyfriend Robin, rumour seemed to have been buried in the sand too.

I know DWTS in the USA haven't implemented this either. Is this to do with the older audience of the Strictly/Ballroom dancing shows?

Is the audience behind with the times, to accept same sex couples?

I'd like to hear your responses. :)

We have had several gay professional dancers over the years and they have always danced (both in Strictly and in international competition) with someone of the opposite sex. If the pro dancers have to endure it then I'm sure the celebs can.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I think it's unfair to suggest that the Strictly audience are intolerant of gay people or would stop watching. There have been gay celebs who have done well and two judges and several out pro dancers and the show makes constant reference to the fact. I can't think of any celeb who did worse than expected in the public vote for being gay, and several who did better - though maybe I'm forgetting someone, I don't know.

It's ballroom dancing, it's not match.com. It feels like a false argument to me (like suggesting straight tennis people should play mixed doubles and gay tennis players should play single sex doubles). If a gay celeb were made to pretend to be straight and forced to pretend they fancied their partner by the show, that would be awful, but I don't think anyone has ever said they had to, have they?

That's said, I'm not against single sex couples taking part. I would be happy if they do or if they don't. I just don't think it's an injustice as it is. (eta: I mean I'm not against single sex couples dancing on the show. :blush: Of course I'm not against single sex couples AT ALL but it sounded really arrogant, like they need my approval! Sorry I hope I didn't offend anyone.)
  • Options
    Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    We have had several gay professional dancers over the years and they have always danced (both in Strictly and in international competition) with someone of the opposite sex. If the pro dancers have to endure it then I'm sure the celebs can.

exactly. and not forgetting to add,, they have danced beautifully with the opposite sex.!
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel that there is a need for it. There have been celebs on the show that are gay and they were paired up with dancers of the opposite sex, likewise, there are many gay dancers that are partnered by a member of the opposite sex. Ballroom dancing came into being for a man and lady. As far as ballroom is concerned, there is nothing nicer than to see a black tailsuit against a beautiful dress that shows up well on the floor and moves well. Two men in trousers do not create the same effect. A man, dancing the part of the lady will never look as soft and feminine as a woman would.
    There are single sex comps and this is fine and I believe they are very popular, but I feel they should not put single sex couples with mixed sex couples. The look is not right. I have also seen single sex pro latin couples on the circuit, and once again, the look is not right. The man is never going to create the required feminine image, nor create beautiful leg, foot and hip action.
    AS far as SCD goes, personally I like it the way it is at the moment.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Mrs Brown for the Xmas show !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

That would be hilarious:D
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind at all, but if it was 2 males one would have to take the female role . If 2 females one would have to take the male role . Could be tricky .

With Bruce gone I don't think Tess and Claudia would mind nor the judges, apart from Len, who I'm sure would have a fit at the thought :o

Can't see it happening on a prime time show on the BBC .
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »

I'd love to see that.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »

One reported on here as gay, one heterosexual.

Love this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZaoiW3qMA

It can only work for the majority of TV audiences with this sort of combination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind at all, but if it was 2 males one would have to take the female role . If 2 females one would have to take the male role . Could be tricky .

With Bruce gone I don't think Tess and Claudia would mind nor the judges, apart from Len, who I'm sure would have a fit at the thought :o

Can't see it happening on a prime time show on the BBC .

I have seen and competed against quite a few single sex couples, and, for me, its not a question of "minding". I don;t mind, but the look is wrong. Two guys do not and can never look as lovely as a man and lady dancing. Again with two women dancing, this is actually quite common in medallist competitions, the look is wrong. Strong looking male with soft feminine lady is what is required.
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    I have seen and competed against quite a few single sex couples, and, for me, its not a question of "minding". I don;t mind, but the look is wrong. Two guys do not and can never look as lovely as a man and lady dancing. Again with two women dancing, this is actually quite common in medallist competitions, the look is wrong. Strong looking male with soft feminine lady is what is required.

Although not a dancer, I agree that aesthetics plays a great part. After all, dancing is an art form. I think the gender contrasts are needed too to be pleasing to the eye.
  • Options
    jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    I think it could be a mine field.
    What happens if there is no gay/lesbian pro or no gay/lesbian celb to match with? Would the show allow 3 same sex couples and force a forth gay/lesbian person to dance as a mixed couple or would a straight pro/celb be expected to dance with a same sex partner and would that then be unfair because of chemistry?
    Also would pros be chosen not on their dancing and teaching capabilities but on their sexual orientation and how many gay and lesbian celbs/pro's would you have and how would it be split and would there be complaints if gay and lesbian dance couples were not represented equally?
    Finally not ever celb or pro wants their private life to be discussed regardless of whether they are gay or straight.
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already been done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiX0bSspyQs

I preferred Kara though.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    It's already been done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiX0bSspyQs

I preferred Kara though.

I didn't. :D One of my favourite performances from James.
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't. :D One of my favourite performances from James.

Yeah, he's not all bad - I used to like him on ITT. Quite amusing.
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to suggest that the Strictly audience are intolerant of gay people or would stop watching. There have been gay celebs who have done well and two judges and several out pro dancers and the show makes constant reference to the fact. I can't think of any celeb who did worse than expected in the public vote for being gay, and several who did better - though maybe I'm forgetting someone, I don't know.

It's ballroom dancing, it's not match.com. It feels like a false argument to me (like suggesting straight tennis people should play mixed doubles and gay tennis players should play single sex doubles). If a gay celeb were made to pretend to be straight and forced to pretend they fancied their partner by the show, that would be awful, but I don't think anyone has ever said they had to, have they?

That's said, I'm not against single sex couples taking part. I would be happy if they do or if they don't. I just don't think it's an injustice as it is. (eta: I mean I'm not against single sex couples dancing on the show. :blush: Of course I'm not against single sex couples AT ALL but it sounded really arrogant, like they need my approval! Sorry I hope I didn't offend anyone.)

I wouldn't worry, there are some people on DS who will take offence at the slightest thing. I am 60 and have no problem with single sex couples taking part - what I do have a problem with is this silly idea that the "older" SCD audience wouldn't tolerate it. When in fact, it was our generation that campaigned for gay rights and succeeded! I am straight but attended the London Pride event in 2010 which celebrated 40 years of what was originally called "Gay Liberation". Leading the parade were some of the pioneers of the movement, who would indeed have looked "old" to the OP!! :D
  • Options
    Three Left FeetThree Left Feet Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If SCD goes down this route then before long, we'll have men doing synchronised swimming in the Olympics and one jockey riding another in equestrian events.

Sometimes tradition is best. There are plenty of same-sex events out there already for those who prefer this kind of thing. I hear football is quite popular! If you like your same-sex artisitic events then there is synchro diving, gymnastics and team ski-jumping.

As someone said earlier, ballroom dancing needs a strong man, and a graceful lady to look "right".

Having said that, Katya dancing with Erin before their departures would have been worth the licence fee on its own. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If SCD goes down this route then before long, we'll have men doing synchronised swimming in the Olympics and one jockey riding another in equestrian events.

. :)

I love this post...can picture it now:)
    I have seen two ladies dance together, one in a dress and the other in a tailsuit . The lady dancing as the man, had short hair so from a distance anyway ( make up minimal) looked the part. They danced very nicely but the dynamics still weren't there. In a normal competition, when all couples are judged against each other, a single sex couple will never beat a man/lady couple who dances well.