charged for not working

dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
Forum Member
My friend works with a temp agency (manual work £7ph) he couldn't go to work due to a sholder problem. The temp agency have told him that he won't be paid (fair enough) but they will also dock £40 for loss of earnings for them. After protesting he was told to see a solicitor.

Is this legal? I've never heard of it before. Sounds a bit victorian to me.

Comments

• wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I have never heard of being docked wages by a legit agency and I was a contractor for 16 years dealing with loads of recruitment agents.

Your mate will have to check the contract he signed with agency to see if such a clause exists.

Whether it is legal or not I don't know for sure but it sounds pretty suss.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does his contract state.
    See here for Employment agency rules
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/employment-agency-rules
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never heard of such a thing, its appalling. Hope he gets his money!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CAB, they need to get some advice. I have never heard of this!
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is appalling. For a start, the agency most probably sent another worker in your friend's place, so it's hardly likely they did lose any earnings. I hope he can sort this out.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    What does his contract state.
    See here for Employment agency rules
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/employment-agency-rules

Not sure but i'll pass on the link
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    CAB, they need to get some advice. I have never heard of this!

This is what I told him, he won't though but I told him its worth it just to stop them from doing it to anyone else >:(
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that by law, the only deductions an employer can make are tax and NI. Any other deductions must be agreed beforehand by the employee, this may be in the small print of any contract he has with the agency. Sounds dodgy to me though.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you could only be sued for loss of earnings if it was your negligence that caused it, not because you were unfortunate enough to get an injury.... OP I hope you tell us what legal advice your friend gets, I'm curious to hear!