Options

Andy Killed his mums chances?

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
Seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding Andy Murray today. Sue to the fact that it looks like he is supporting the Yes campaign.

Could this have a negative effect on Judy's chances, or is Anton's fanbase strong enough to cope with a backlash.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2760229/Has-Andy-Murray-come-favour-Scottish-independence-Tennis-star-tweets-No-campaign-negativity-totally-swayed-view.html

Comments

• Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care if she (or Andy) supports independence for Scotland or not.

I'm just interested in how she dances with Anton.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Murray has never made it any secret that he doesn't support England - his famous remark when England was playing in some football match or other, that Scotland had been eliminated from, that he "wouldn't be supporting England". Since then there has always been a lot of negativity against him.

Judy and Andy are two different people; I'm no fan of Andy's, but I do like Judy. I'm not interested in her political views, she's a Scottish lady who lives in Scotland, and has a right to vote Yes or No as she sees fit. I'm only interested in how she comes across in a fun-based dance show.

Unfortunately, as she is with Anton, I don't think she will progress more than a couple of Latin dances!
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anton has a fan base ??
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it makes a difference what Andy has said or that it makes a difference that Judy's Scottish, I don't think people are that petty to judge her on those aspects (alone or in majority) in relation to a dance show where you learn Latin/Ballroom dancing. Sure there is a popular element to voting, but you wouldn't dislike someone because of negative personality traits, not because of what their son said on Twitter or because of their nationality.

If Scotland weren't going through this period and today wasn't a very specific day, I would still suspect Judy won't have long in the show considering Anton's record in recent years. And even if her dance ability wasn't half bad, Anton still doesn't exaclty impress in Latin (imo), so, it would only really be Ballroom that he'd be able to really showcase her in which would then be very one sided.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure when the independence of his country is in the balance his mums performance on reality TV isn't a concern.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Anton has a fan base ??

my gran
  • Options
    jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Anton has a fan base ??

My Mother, she adores him and I quite like him too especially dancing with Erin :blush:.

As for Judy and Andys vote, it is Judy we are interested in and whether her feet move beautifully and not where she put her X especially as her vote is private. Also it is not uncommon for family members to vote differently and the personal desires and dreams of the Scottish referendum seems to be splitting family and friends like no other vote in our history.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Quite right. Hear hear!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy has a fan base ??
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding Andy Murray today. Sue to the fact that it looks like he is supporting the Yes campaign.

Could this have a negative effect on Judy's chances, or is Anton's fanbase strong enough to cope with a backlash.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2760229/Has-Andy-Murray-come-favour-Scottish-independence-Tennis-star-tweets-No-campaign-negativity-totally-swayed-view.html

I take it that you noticed that he left it until after midnight so it could not be reported on the radio and TV news. Presumably trying to limit the damage to sponsorship deals but I don't think the restrictions apply to newspapers printed outside Scotland.

He does seem to have a big mouth.
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy's a toad, I think everyone knows that, and has known it for years. Next.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look, Judy is stiff as a board and can't dance

Her politics?
    Who cares?

Andy may just have cost himself several million pounds in sponsorship deals, though.
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Andy Murray has never made it any secret that he doesn't support England - his famous remark when England was playing in some football match or other, that Scotland had been eliminated from, that he "wouldn't be supporting England". Since then there has always been a lot of negativity against him.

Judy and Andy are two different people; I'm no fan of Andy's, but I do like Judy. I'm not interested in her political views, she's a Scottish lady who lives in Scotland, and has a right to vote Yes or No as she sees fit. I'm only interested in how she comes across in a fun-based dance show.

Unfortunately, as she is with Anton, I don't think she will progress more than a couple of Latin dances!

I don't know whether Andy has said other things about England but the remark you mentioned about the football wasn't said in the way the press reported it. Scotland hadn't qualified and an English journalist asked him how Scotland would do then added oh you didn't qualify did you jokingly. When another journalist asked who he would be supporting he then said as a joke whoever England were playing. Tim Henman and other journalists backed him when Andy tried to explain why he had said it but it never goes away. Think he said he learnt a lot about speaking to the press that day.

Totally agree with the rest of your post though :)
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did she even have a chance to start off with :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd angle, given that if she lasted more than a month or so every other thread here would be complaining about the power of the "Scottish Vote". If her family are playing to Scot-Nat sentiment surely this would only increase that?

(Also LOL Jamie overshadowed again)
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone would have cared if he'd just said he supported Independence (well, some would), as most people have friends on both sides of the debate and can accept that difference of opinion. I don't think he hates England either. However, as a fan, I think it came across a bit weak to blame 'negativity of the No campaign' for swaying his view. Anyone can disregard 'negativity', or perceived lies or inconvenient truths from the other side when they reach their view, but it's a bit pathetic to use what you think of as 'negativity' as a primary reason. What about the actual facts? Or at the very least, what about the Yes campaign is so good for those who do believe it all?

He previously said it was important to weigh up all of the evidence, because you don't want to decide something for it all to go t*ts up, so it's hypocritical for him to criticise those who are worried that things might go t*ts up, and are therefore trying to gather and study the facts. That means that journalists, politicians and the general public are allowed to ask tricky questions, and are allowed to say they are unhappy with aspects of the proposals by the Yes side. I'm generally happy for people in the public eye, including the rich, and those based outside of Scotland, to have a view, even though the result affects them less. However, it is important to remember that it's the people of Scotland who may have to live with the negative consequences of Independence who make up the bulk of people who are expressing concerns that have gone unanswered. If you know you will be comfortable regardless of the result, please don't dismiss the concerns of those who might struggle.

In particular, Andy is someone who is known for studying all of the details when it comes to playing tennis to the point he's accused of being overly serious. He regularly points out, quite reasonably, that criticising him for being serious about his job is ridiculous, because professionals generally don't get far if they treat it all as one big joke. It doesn't sit well with the apparent complaint that people shouldn't be allowed to pick holes in the statements made by people wanting to set us up in a whole new country.

It won't make me stop liking Andy, because I don't think he was trying to abuse his celebrity to mislead voters, but it does make me think he needs to talk to someone more level headed before making half-baked political statements on twitter. Maybe a few more words would have provided the clarity that would have prevented him from saying something hurtful to a lot of people who have been sincerely considering their nation's future.

I don't know if it will affect Judy. She's been keeping out of the debate, presumably deliberately. She has her own fan-base (honest), but there will be some Andy fans who might throw her a vote. If they are Scottish no voters, they might feel they've been criticised, so will be a bit less generous. However, Yes voting Judy/Andy fans may vote in droves to compensate! :p

(That may depend on how the vote goes. If it's a No vote, the Yes fans might blame Andy for not getting more involved. Which ironically would have gained more respect from me too)
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

6.0K comments :o:o:o:o:o !!!!

That has to be the MOST comments I have ever seen on a Dailyfail article :o:o !!! WOW :o !!!
  • Options
    marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I take it that you noticed that he left it until after midnight so it could not be reported on the radio and TV news. Presumably trying to limit the damage to sponsorship deals but I don't think the restrictions apply to newspapers printed outside Scotland.

He does seem to have a big mouth.

I think he is quite unfortunate with his mouth.
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would have cared if he'd just said he supported Independence (well, some would), as most people have friends on both sides of the debate and can accept that difference of opinion. I don't think he hates England either. However, as a fan, I think it came across a bit weak to blame 'negativity of the No campaign' for swaying his view. Anyone can disregard 'negativity', or perceived lies or inconvenient truths from the other side when they reach their view, but it's a bit pathetic to use what you think of as 'negativity' as a primary reason. ----

(That may depend on how the vote goes. If it's a No vote, the Yes fans might blame Andy for not getting more involved. Which ironically would have gained more respect from me too)

Completely agree. I am not necessarily an Andy fan (I am a massive Rafa fan) but I do like him. However, I thought the way he twitted was a bit stupid, both timing and words wise.
    To late to help the Yes campaign, but not late enough to not anger No voters, so pretty much has alienated fans without any reward for it. Like you say, you either go for it or not at all.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy's a toad, I think everyone knows that, and has known it for years. Next.

Sorry but you are in no position to speak for everyone. None of us are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    Sorry but you are in no position to speak for everyone. None of us are.

Walks like a toad, talks like a toad, behaves like a toad - he's probably a toad. Don't know why everyone can't see that.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seemed to be able to be a bit more circumspect over the last year when being interviewed for TV, for which he deserved credit.
    But now he's opened his big mouth again and put his foot in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seemed to be able to be a bit more circumspect over the last year when being interviewed for TV, for which he deserved credit.
    But now he's opened his big mouth again and put his foot in it.

Yes, agree. The toad is resurfacing! (It probably never went away.)
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not relevant. Judy can't dance. End of.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I fully agree, these should be the only things that matter.
  • Options
    GreenJadeDragonGreenJadeDragon Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seriously misread the title of this thread and thought'what have I missed?' :o