• pennybelpennybel Posts: 5,223
    Forum Member
    What a pity he didn't engage his brain before opening his mouth
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Andy Murray was just one of many people who voted yes

What a sensible post. I voted no but It is up to him what side he is on.
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    What a sensible post. I voted no but It is up to him what side he is on.

Indeed, everyone is entitled to an opinion
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pennybel wrote: »
    What a pity he didn't engage his brain before opening his mouth

That cuts both ways. Murray was perfectly within his rights to express an opinion and he's better off without the sort of fans who think they can dictate his opinions.

He's Scottish and he's British, that's what yesterday was all about.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That cuts both ways. Murray was perfectly within his rights to express an opinion and he's better off without the sort of fans who think they can dictate his opinions.

He's Scottish and he's British, that's what yesterday was all about.

Of course he is entitled to his opinion but I do feel that he would have been better not showing his cards. He really hasn't done himself any favours in view of his past history of anti English statements.

It shouldn't affect Judy at all but there will be those that feel strongly and not vote for her which will be a shame because she shouldn't be held responsible for what her son has said.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Andy Murray was just one of many people who voted yes

He probably wasn't even able to vote.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wasn't, and later statements clarified what I would have predicted, that he'd respect the vote and keep playing for Britain in the event of a no vote. Anyone who follows him at all knows he has an English girlfriend and best friend. To me it's clear he's not anti-English, but that's not clear to many, and he pretty much gave certain parts of society a gift-wrapped opportunity to accuse him of that (again).

IMO, the main mistake was making a statement on something so big and very obviously divisive within a single tweet.

I still think that using 'negative campaigning' as an excuse for being swayed in a particular way was unhelpful. It can easily be interpreted as an excuse to reject the Union, rather than a positive explanation for why he thought Scotland would be better going alone. It isn't just a bit ironic, but leaves people who think he might hate the English to presume that's what he really meant, but didn't want to say.

I know the 'hating the English' thing is guff, so if you take the statement at face value, it doesn't respect those with genuine fears, and while he may have had specific examples in mind, the Yes campaign was lumping all expressions of concern, requests for information, and inconvenient truths as 'negativity and scaremongering'. It's something JK Rowling explained well in her statement.

Some have made the point that he has risked future sponsorship deals by making a statement, and I do admire him for that. In fact, that's one of the things I respect about him, so that bit works in his favour for me.

The sad fact is that every high profile person to express an opinion on this subject has been subject to scrutiny, and insults. Much of it vile. When the group of retired Scottish rugby players came out to support No, they had a lot of abuse and threats of violence hurled at them (from the safety of the keyboard) in spite of explaining themselves very clearly and positively. Their only 'criticism' of the Yes side was aimed at those who had laid claim to the term "Team Scotland" for themselves and the exclusion of No voters.

As for Andy's general reputation, or that of his mother's, I don't think anyone would care by next week, except it's now become part of the Strictly story, so will be dragged out, and become much bigger than it needs to be. The people who are still upset this time next week aren't important.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    The guy's a toad, I think everyone knows that, and has known it for years. Next.

What evidence do you have to support this? Andy made a joke about the English football team and has every right to want a YES vote if that is his view.

He has a rather dry sense of humour that I think perhaps many do not get at all.
  • kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    What evidence do you have to support this? Andy made a joke about the English football team and has every right to want a YES vote if that is his view.

He has a rather dry sense of humour that I think perhaps many do not get at all.

I totally agree, whenever I see him interviewed on TV I think he comes over really well. He always laughs at himself and peoples impression of him. I think you are dead right about his dry sense of humour.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    kalouk wrote: »
    I totally agree, whenever I see him interviewed on TV I think he comes over really well. He always laughs at himself and peoples impression of him. I think you are dead right about his dry sense of humour.

Me too. I don't happen to share his view on Scottish independence but I like the guy. He comes across as hard-working, quite shy and serious about his job but with great humour. His PR is very unpolished but I don't think the worse of him for that. I like Judy too. She and her ex did a great job with their kids.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that it matters in this debate/thread but its no surprise that he is one of my LEAST favorite Tennis Player; I don't like his style of play nor his personality on the court.

I will take Federer, Nole (Novak Djokovic ) ALL DAY !!! I will even add Nadal to that list as my n 3rd favorite on the men side.
  • VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »

Made a JOKE about the English football team? What are you on? He said he'd support any team playing against England. That makes him an Anglophobe at the very least, a conclusion most people would reach following his latest verbiage. It wasn't said in jest, don't be so easily fooled.

kalouk wrote: »

Laughs at himself??? Never seen him laugh - ever. Nasty piece of work. Did you see his interview following the defeat at the 2012 Olympics mixed doubles final? No mention of his partner, Laura Robson, who had played brilliantly during the competition (though faltering at the last hurdle). Ungracious and self-obsessed. THAT's how he comes across. Dry sense of humour my foot - it's all about him. Nasty piece of work - by far the nastiest in the Tennis scene.
  • VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll probably get loads of votes from Scotland, by the way. All the Yes voters will be out in force.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Of course he is entitled to his opinion but I do feel that he would have been better not showing his cards. He really hasn't done himself any favours in view of his past history of anti English statements.

It shouldn't affect Judy at all but there will be those that feel strongly and not vote for her which will be a shame because she shouldn't be held responsible for what her son has said.

Those that feel that way should reflect on what it says about the British (English) sense of fair play when take their disagreement with someone's perfectly legitimate opinion out on that persons mother.

Is that an England (Britain) you would be proud of?
  • Shine_OnShine_On Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a Scot, and I didn't agree with him, but I respect him more for voicing his opinion than if he hadn't. I don't hold it against him, or his mom, and I can't understand anyone that would. At the end of the day there was a big decision to be made and everyone voting was only doing what they thought was right for their family and country.

I'm glad they voted No though :) Lets be miserable together and all that :p
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I have no problem with him airing his view and certainly it won't affect my opinion of his mother.

However FWIW I thought his reasoning was poor but that's possibly because it was disingenuous.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made a JOKE about the English football team? What are you on? He said he'd support any team playing against England. That makes him an Anglophobe at the very least, a conclusion most people would reach following his latest verbiage. It wasn't said in jest, don't be so easily fooled.

I agree, VintageWhine

When he said that it certainly didn't come across as a joke to me. It's so easy, isn't it, to say something "unfortunate" and try to excuse it by saying it was a joke? An apology might have been nicer.

According to Judy Murray when she told him she was doing Strictly, he told her she would be terrible (or dreadful, or whatever). Maybe she will, but what a nasty thing to say though I daresay he will say that was a joke as well. A very un-funny joke IMO,

As to his politics, I have no objection to any Scot preferring the Yes brigade to the No, and Andy had the right to his opinion. His problem isn't always in what he says, but the way he says it. Tact? It's a word he clearly doesn't understand.
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Laughs at himself??? Never seen him laugh - ever. Nasty piece of work. Did you see his interview following the defeat at the 2012 Olympics mixed doubles final? No mention of his partner, Laura Robson, who had played brilliantly during the competition (though faltering at the last hurdle). Ungracious and self-obsessed. THAT's how he comes across. Dry sense of humour my foot - it's all about him. Nasty piece of work - by far the nastiest in the Tennis scene.

Wow you are coming across very bitter perhaps you should give up the Lemons.
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope that whatever her son has said, will not affect Judys chances, She deserves to be given a chance to do as well as she can, hopefully viewers will just make up their minds on the SCD performance only, and nothing else.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think being paired with Anton will do more damage to Judy's chances, rather than anything her son may have said
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    Walks like a toad, talks like a toad, behaves like a toad - he's probably a toad. Don't know why everyone can't see that.

The guy has won Wimbledon and an Olympic Gold medal Quite an achievement most people would agree
    As for the nonsense about the football why don't you find out what really happened?
    A reporter, Des Kelly was chatting to Gary Lineker and Andy Murray walked in Des and Gary started pulling his leg about Scotland not being in the World Cup All good natured leg pulling So Andy retorted with the joke that he would support anybody but England
    All was well until the notorious liar and sleazebag Kelvin Mackenzie got to hear about it and he distorted the story to splash it on the front page of his toxic rag The Sun
    Bear in mind Kelvin Mackenzie refused to apologize for the hateful lies he printed about the Hillsborough tragedy
    You can continue to hate Murray for all I care but it is important to at least present you with the truth What you do with it is your concern
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm backing jake wood! hope judy proves the nay sayers wrong though
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone would be so silly as to hold Judy responsible for what her son said.
    I think Andy was really ill advised to get involved in the Independence debate in such an ineffective way.

If he wanted to come out and support Yes he should have done it before the media shutdown on voting day. As it is, because of his timing, he'll get both all of the backlash from those who disagree and complaints from those who thought his "support" was half-hearted and timed for damage limitation.
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Rather ironic that Andy (who's not entitled to vote in the referendum because he resides in England) should shoot his mouth off about it when his mum (who is entitled to vote) wisely kept her views to herself.