Andy Killed his mums chances?

Comments

• tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Judy doesn't do well, it will be nothing to do with her son's big mouth, it will be the fault of fireworks on a green somewhere!
  • Vexed womanVexed woman Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good job he's not her favourite son then.
  • davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before anyone continues saying that he hates the Britain and the English remember that Andy Murray
    - has a long term English girlfriend
    - has Englishmen on his coaching team
    - won a Men's singles olympic medal at the Olympics for GB
    - won a Mixed doubles olympic medal with an Englishwoman at the Olympics
    - played the Hopman cup for GB with English players
    - plays Davis Cup for GB including doubles alongside English players
    - Judy Murray works with the British women's team who are mostly English

If he hates the English then he sure does a bad job of keeping them out of his life!
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why he isn't allowed to have an opinion like many other celebrities? Is it because he won Wimbledon and feels like public property?

Anyway to answer the OP, it looks like Judy will do just fine in ruining her own chances ;-)
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davegold wrote: »
    Before anyone continues saying that he hates the Britain and the English remember that Andy Murray
    - has a long term English girlfriend
    - has Englishmen on his coaching team
    - won a Men's singles olympic medal at the Olympics for GB
    - won a Mixed doubles olympic medal with an Englishwoman at the Olympics
    - played the Hopman cup for GB with English players
    - plays Davis Cup for GB including doubles alongside English players
    - Judy Murray works with the British women's team who are mostly English

If he hates the English then he sure does a bad job of keeping them out of his life!

I think the Andy haters probably had their minds made up about him before the Referendum vote and the small matter of these Facts won't change their minds.

I doubt it will have any effect on Judy's Strictly chances though - I suspect having a Pro who's not the best teacher especially when it comes to Latin is far more of a hindrance.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Anton's Latin will be more of a hindrance to Judy than Anton is :D
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I agree, VintageWhine

When he said that it certainly didn't come across as a joke to me. It's so easy, isn't it, to say something "unfortunate" and try to excuse it by saying it was a joke? An apology might have been nicer.

Ignorant, uninformed nonsense. Did Tim Henman and the journalist (who have actually confirmed it was a joke btw) apologise to him for joking with him first about Scotland not being there and how terrible they were? Did anyone hate, harrass, bash and wage a hate campaign on them? It's ridiculous that people are so lazy and ignorant to throw that at him without even having the good sense to actually read more than a red-tops headline.

As for his tweet - good for him. The blackmail and bullying by certain parts of the media was negative and he had every right to his opinion - moreso than some of the celebs who were coming out speaking since he is not only Scottish, but has a business here. Frankly I respect him more for having the guts to come out despite knowing he would be lambasted by certain ignorant, bitter, hatefilled trolls who are too lazy to actually read up on him and care about tennis two weeks of the year.

As for what he said to Judy about Strictly - clearly some people here have never had a jokey relationship with their family. Which is a shame. It's like when Judy embarrassed him with her tweets about a good looking tennis player and Andy, in return, arranged for said tennis player to come over and get a pic with her. Or when he joked she better be paying for the food she eats at his hotel, or how Judy posts pics of him morphed into movie posters. It's family and using that relationship as a stick to beat him is pretty gross.

if the oh so tolerant Great British public wants to take their bile out on his mother, then so be it. More fool them and would show a lot.
  • VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, he's not a nice person - why make excuses for him? Listen to his interviews, he's totally self-obsessed. I suppose he's a bit better behaved on court nowadays, he's got that going for him.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,516
    Forum Member
    Look, he's not a nice person - why make excuses for him? Listen to his interviews, he's totally self-obsessed. I suppose he's a bit better behaved on court nowadays, he's got that going for him.

I've never heard Andy call anyone a toad What do you think of people that do that? Not at all nice is it? In fact it is playground behaviour, what you would tell a six year old off for
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do listen to his interviews, and watch them and I do that for more than two weeks a year. There is a reason that real tennis fans, writers and players think so highly of him - it's because they aren't blinkered, biased and angry that he's not the cookie cutter robotron than some people want.

Idk why I'm even discussing it - it is a waste of time to try and expect anyone whose first input is to call someone a 'toad' to even be remotely open-minded or to recognise their hypocrisy about sitting in judgement of who is a 'nice' person. Such a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    I've never heard Andy call anyone a toad What do you think of people that do that? Not at all nice is it? In fact it is playground behaviour, what you would tell a six year old off for

Like it or not, he's a public figure making milions out of punters who watch professional tennis (not that's he's very professional), and therefore should come under scrutiny. If he behaves badly (and he certainly has), then he's fair game for heavy criticism.

If he doesn't want to likened to a toad, then he should stop behaving like one.
    Forum Member
    Like it or not, he's a public figure making milions out of punters who watch professional tennis (not that's he's very professional), and therefore should come under scrutiny. If he behaves badly (and he certainly has), then he's fair game for heavy criticism.

If he doesn't want to likened to a toad, then he should stop behaving like one.

First Brit since the thirties to win Wimbledon plus he has Olympic gold Not bad for someone who is "very professional"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do listen to his interviews, and watch them and I do that for more than two weeks a year. There is a reason that real tennis fans, writers and players think so highly of him - it's because they aren't blinkered, biased and angry that he's not the cookie cutter robotron than some people want.

Idk why I'm even discussing it - it is a waste of time to try and expect anyone whose first input is to call someone a 'toad' to even be remotely open-minded or to recognise their hypocrisy about sitting in judgement of who is a 'nice' person. Such a joke.

Some tennis fans like him because he's become successful. That doesn't make him a nice person. You should examine his behaviour on and off court, especially going back a few years. I could easily have called him worse than "toad".
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no anti / ejection vote on SCD. On "personality" she should pick up Scottish votes way above her wooden dancing style would justify.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some tennis fans like him because he's become successful. That doesn't make him a nice person. You should examine his behaviour on and off court, especially going back a few years. I could easily have called him worse than "toad".

Actually, I've followed him since he was a junior, so i already know what he's like on and off court, even going back a few years. Nice try though.
    Forum Member
    Some tennis fans like him because he's become successful. That doesn't make him a nice person. You should examine his behaviour on and off court, especially going back a few years. I could easily have called him
    worse than "toad".

I am going to leave this subject now and hopefully anyone who has read what you have had to contribute will know exactly what they are dealing with
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Brit since the thirties to win Wimbledon plus he has Olympic gold Not bad for someone who is "very professional"

Yeah, that makes him a nice person does it?

Worst behaved British sporting ambassador ever, I'd say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I've followed him since he was a junior, so i already know what he's like on and off court, even going back a few years. Nice try though.

Well, if he's an OK person (and I'm impressed that you've got so many good words to say about him) why doesn't he behave likewise?
    I am going to leave this subject now and hopefully anyone who has read what you have had to contribute will know exactly what they are dealing with

Goodbye.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy and Judy have been great ambassadors for British tennis.

After recent events in Glasgow, I'm sure there will be a minority of people who will take against Judy just because of her son's views on independence for Scotland but the overwhelming majority will judge her on her merits.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much she has improved since her first outing.
  • Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll make it big on dancing skills. If she's anything like her boys, she's gonna be one serious hit at a ball.... Though I predict a few pas-a-doble faults ;-)
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think his statements were ill-advised I must say but then again I don't have a very positve opinion of whole Scottish independence campaign in general. It smacks to me of a bid for glory on the part of Salmon and the whole 'Braveheart' thing I also I strongly disliked the way that JK Rowling was set upon by the Yes supporters for declaring herself to be in the No camp. I am English but ironically I think a lot of my views on this have been formed by a Scottish friend I have who has always been dead set against independence on the grounds he doesn't think Scotland can realistically stand on its own ecconomically.

I don't know about Andy Murray he seems to be someone who doesn't naturally know how to be a media personality that is instantly likeable, who is an understandably driven perfectionist, has a bit of a temper and the occasional ability as demo'ed here to engage his mouth before his brain although with the football comment it is possible that his sense of humour might have worked against him - humour is not always understood. He doesn't appear to be a bad bloke on the whole though. However as with any sportsman people are much more forgiving of you when you're winning then they are when you're not.

I won't personally judge Judy on what her son says but others might feel differently. However I think that the fact she's serious and not particularly rhymical might work against her more significantly then what her son says.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather like Andy. It's refreshing to see a sports person who hasn't been media trained and PR smoothed until all that's left is a bland rentaquote. It's the rough edges that make people interesting. Having said that, He's still behind my boy Mark Cavendish who has the ability to be grumpy and tetchy at reporters in at least 3 languages :cool:
  • Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I rather like Andy. It's refreshing to see a sports person who hasn't been media trained and PR smoothed until all that's left is a bland rentaquote. It's the rough edges that make people interesting. Having said that, He's still behind my boy Mark Cavendish who has the ability to be grumpy and tetchy at reporters in at least 3 languages :cool:

Yeah - an' he can still do it even when he's crashed off his bike and dislocated various bits and pieces and bodily parts. That's class, that is. ;-)
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Andy's entitled to an opinion if not a vote. Although the majority voted to remain part of the union, quite a large percentage voted to leave, so if it's possible Judy might suffer the ire of "No" supporters, then surely she might also gain "Yes" supporters (of which there were also quite a few south of the border)?
    Personally I think the vast majority of people will have moved on and Judy's success will depend more on whether she has any sense of rhythm than what her son thinks about Scottish devolution in a vote that's been and gone.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm astonished it's been raised as an issue. Jeez, if we can put up with each other -- :D:D:D -- surely we can tolerate the political views of Andy's mum's son :cool: