• Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - 8.5/10
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chariots of Fire - Surprisingly dull film which is a supposed British classic.

4/10

The King's Speech - Another film about the upper class though this one is far more engaging. I had been expecting another stuffy and hollow British period piece but this was actually good. Great performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush, the supporting cast were really good too.

8/10

Eyes Wide Shut - Not the most popular Kubrick film ever but it's certainly one of my favourites, EWS is pure hypnotic. It also works as a great alternative Christmas film :)

9/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Splash( just been on this afternoon )..Good film although i not keen on tom hanks :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    In the last five days

WALKING WITH DINOSAURS
    DECK THE HALLS
    FOUR CHRISTMASES
    THE HARRY HILL MOVIE
    SANCTUM
    VALIANT
    NEVER LET ME GO
    SECRETARIAT
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Escape To Victory. Just finished on Film 4. Phenomenally good and underrated. 10/10.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a Wonderful Life today on Ch4. Excellent, Jimmy Stewart was a one-off, unique Actor with a capital A. Cracking movie. :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Night of the living dead..Resurrection

err what a horrid film for xmas eve lol..zombie killers eating each others guts..not very pleasant :D , another one binned from poundland lol
  • Options
    KathyFan12KathyFan12 Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966) 8.5/10
    Scrooge (1970) 10/10
    The Santa Clause (1994) 8/10
    Elf (2003) 8.5/10
  • Options
    xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saving Mr. Banks [2013]

10/10

Simply beautiful movie. Strangely affecting story that caught me completely off guard.

Funny, sad and heart warming at the same time. Give Emma Thompson the Best Actress Oscar now! Hanks was excellent too as was Giamatti.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul, earlier on (or yesterday as it is now) on Film4. Really enjoyed it, lots of nods to Spielberg and others. It was funny, had some action, pathos and even romance.

8/10
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Hills Have Eyes II [2007]. Director: Martin Weisz

6/10

Critically slated box office flop has its moments. At times a bit like Aliens meets The Descent.
  • Options
    DingbattsDingbatts Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xander63 wrote: »
    Saving Mr. Banks [2013]

10/10

Simply beautiful movie. Strangely affecting story that caught me completely off guard.

Funny, sad and heart warming at the same time. Give Emma Thompson the Best Actress Oscar now! Hanks was excellent too as was Giamatti.

I second that. I couldn't stop snivelling.

Gravity 10/10 Compelling.
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

Massive flop on release followed by massive cult following and I'm watching it again at 6 am on Xmas morning.

As you can probably tell, I've always loved it.

9/10
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Night of the living dead..Resurrection

err what a horrid film for xmas eve lol..zombie killers eating each others guts..not very pleasant :D , another one binned from poundland lol

Don't bin films! At least give them to your local charity shop :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perks of being a Wallflower 6/10 - The actor who plays the gay guy, Erza Miller, is really good in this.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilT1808 wrote: »
    Die Hard 10/10Just got this on Blu ray and watched it on my brand new projector and screen. A film I have seen many times but it's still fantastic! :D

Agree...Perhaps the best Christmas film ever ! :)
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haunted ..10/10 excellent ...Victoria Shalott who plays Aiden Quinns screen sister Juliet starred in the award winning childrens tv programme The Queens Nose !
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Creatures (2013)
    Not my type of film at all, but I watched it late last night while wrapping presents and everyone else was in bed.
    Pleasantly surprised, it wasn't too bad. It didn't convert me to the Twilight genre, but I quite enjoyed it. A few drinks probably helped. :)

7/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Toy Story 3 - 10/10
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wild Bill - A solid 7 maybe even 8 out of 10, Great performances, the Guy that played Wild Bill was likeable, very glad he got the part and not some better known actor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Toy Story 3 - 10/10

Watched this today - it was excellent! Definitely 10/10.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell No One (2006) - 7/10

I forgot why I struggled with this French mystery-thriller film a couple of years ago. Leading actor Francois Cluzet looks as if he's a love child of Dustin Hoffman and Trevor Eve, which was distracting. The story is still great, though.

The Titfield Thunderbolt (1953, iPlayer) - 8/10

Good-natured fun. I think this film makes it my first time seeing Godfrey Tearle in a good-guy role.

The Great Train Robbery (2013, iPlayer)
    A Robber's Tale, Part 1: 7/10
    A Copper's Tale, Part 2: 6/10

An hour and half each. So with both together, I count them as a TV film. Part 1 was a lot more enjoyable than Part 2. I also felt Jim Broadbent (and his unintentionally comical dyed eyebrows), as the man who helmed the police investigation, was miscast. Not his fault as Part 2 was rather underdeveloped, sluggish and dull. It needed a charismatic actor to carry it well enough to hide those flaws and unfortunately, Broadbent couldn't deliver that.
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rewatches

It's a Wonderful Life - I think it's the ultimate Christmas film but no matter how many times I watch it it always catches me off guard with just how despairing it is once the money goes missing. Love James Stewart, love the message of it all. 9/10

The Wizard of Oz - it's still nice to look at and I like the imagination of it all but some of the songs are pretty irritating tbh. 7/10

You Can Count On Me - Wouldn't change a thing about it - even Matthew Broderick. Brilliant acting and tremendous script, I think it's pretty much a perfect film. 10/10
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - Really disappointing. A great idea of Santa Claus not being the big jolly bearded fellow as portrayed in the media and by Coca-Cola. Actually it would be a great idea had
    Santa actually appeared in the film. It's just his helpers!

Troll Hunter is better.

5/10

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - I know people are now a bit sniffy about the first two Chris Columbus films but I still think there's some charm to them. The latter films are of course technically superior. The first two Potter films in particular work really well as Christmas films.

8/10

Also I caught up with the last 30 minutes of Toy Story 3 on ITV. I've always felt that the first two were still better but even so, I'd give Toy Story 3 an 8/10 rating.
This discussion has been closed.