British Rumours That Never Came True

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
As we're now deep in "wild speculation" season, I thought it would be interesting to see how many different names have been linked to representing Britain at Eurovision over the years.... but never actually turned up (I'm including names that were DEFINITELY going to be in a Song For Your Europe, too!)

Some ones I remember

2004- Esther Bennett, Caprice
2005- Chico, Korben, Angie Brown, Roxanne from Pop Idol, Chico, Nadia Almada :eek: (this was actually posted as fact in a newspaper!) Alcazar had signed up dropped out at the last minute over an issue with the song.
2006- Liberty X,
2007- Ace Of Base, Scissor Sisters, Morrisey, Daz Sampson & Carol Decker, Puppini Sisters, Rachel Stevens
2008- Same Difference, Pete Burns
2011- Hurts, Diva Fever
2012- Hurts, Adele, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, McFly, Atomic Kitten, Mutya Keisha Siobhan.

Comments

• penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had Alcazar in 2005 as well. Don't forget Wagner, Johnny Robinson and that ilk. We've had JLS & Bananarama as well
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Between October 2011 and September 2012, most would have said the Jimmy Savile rumours...
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martine McCutcheon- we even had a selection of epic song titles to go with it.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcazar had signed up dropped out at the last minute over an issue with the song.

Isn't this issue it being absolute crap? :D
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    Martine McCutcheon- we even had a selection of epic song titles to go with it.

Streisand Got There First!
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »

More than likely!

I also remember Sarah Brightman/ Katherine Jenkins/ Charlotte Church in 2011 when somebody said we were going Popera.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Katie Melua 2010 as well?
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember in 2010 there was a rumour going around that Duncan James would be performing a song penned by Gary Borelow.

Oh, and not to mention the Johnny Robinson rumours last year. Basically any time the X Factor joke act is British you can bet your house on the press linking them to eurovision the following year.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    Not possible. Alcazar are the epitome of high class and taste.
    Streisand Got There First!
    I specifically clicked on this thread just to post that! I guess 21stCenturyBoy Got There First! Gosh I'm so witty.

Not exactly a rumour, more complete truth, BWO were asked to take part in the 2008 NF but refused after they found that they would have to choose from the selection of ghastly B-sides that record company had given the BBC rather than use their own songs. Lay Your Love On Me could have represented us and would have been one of our greatest entries EVER! :cry:
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically last year everyone from the british music industry was rumoured at one point or another except Enge
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we're now deep in "wild speculation" season

You have the "wild speculation season" when the rest of Europe is having the NF season :p;)
    Not sure which one is more exciting...
  • jan_leemingjan_leeming Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Seem to recall a scurrilous Right Said Fred rumour last year just before the real act was unveiled. Also let's not forget Mika who seems to be linked to it every flippin' year....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    You have the "wild speculation season" when the rest of Europe is having the NF season :p;)
    Not sure which one is more exciting...

Definitely the endless torture of thinking we're going to be represented by some crappy ex-reality TV star or failed pop act every year ;)
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Morrisey around about 2009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget Morrisey around about 2009

2006 time flies :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would rather have Pete Waterman back instead of Morrisey.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    BWO were asked to take part in the 2008 NF

The Swedish group? I'm no fan of theirs but having a Scandinavian act would definitely have pulled in many more votes for us. I've long said that we should pick a foreign act. Sending Schooch over Cyndi in 2007 was a wasted opportunity. Regarding 2008, I will never get over Andy Abraham beating Michelle Gayle's far more entertaining effort!
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    globbits wrote: »
    Definitely the endless torture of thinking we're going to be represented by some crappy ex-reality TV star or failed pop act every year ;)

Well, that's often a risk in NFs as well :D
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2006 time flies :eek:

It was 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6244153.stm
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    The Swedish group? I'm no fan of theirs but having a Scandinavian act would definitely have pulled in many more votes for us. I've long said that we should pick a foreign act. Sending Schooch over Cyndi in 2007 was a wasted opportunity. Regarding 2008, I will never get over Andy Abraham beating Michelle Gayle's far more entertaining effort!

She would have flopped just as bad
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »

I agree.

The Revelations were our only hope that year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »

I don't think it would have came last though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the song Alcazar rejected was called DJ. They didn't feel it was right for them. They tried to get Pet Shop Boys involved after working with them on Love Life but it fell through
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's probably because I try to forget hose entries:D
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭