Options

How broken up is your family?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
It seems quite rare to come from a family where both parents are still together.

Comments

• Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both my parents are dead, can't get much more broken up than that.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a scale? Mine are probably 9.6 still together :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Father died when I was a child. I cut off my mother and sister a few years ago. Most of the rest of the family - aunts, uncles etc. - cut off my mother (and therefore my sister and I as we were still kids living with her then) decades ago... perhaps I ought to try and find them...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel very lucky to have my parents still happily married. There have been very few divorces in my extended family, and I don't plan on breaking up my own marriage *touch wood* we're for keeps... It's always been the "norm" for me.

I always feel really sad for people who's parents split up or who's marriage breaks down. It's a big deal!! I think it's tragic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    I feel very lucky to have my parents still happily married. There have been very few divorces in my extended family, and I don't plan on breaking up my own marriage *touch wood* we're for keeps... It's always been the "norm" for me.

I always feel really sad for people who's parents split up or who's marriage breaks down. It's a big deal!! I think it's tragic.

It sure is. My parents have both gone on to remarry and at times it feels like I come from four families not two. Whenever there's an occasion for either step family I feel almost left out and as if I shouldn't be there.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Both my parents are dead, can't get much more broken up than that.

Same here... or at least my adopted parents are, no idea about my natural parents...

Does that count as more broken? :D
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents were together nearly 40 years until my mum died. My dad died 7 years later, still on his own.

My in laws celebrate the Golden anniversary next month and my husband and i have our Silver next May.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents divorced when I was around 19-20, I really wish they had done so sooner as my dad had been a complete wotsit since around the time I was born and their toxic relationship seriously damaged my childhood and was a complete waste of large chunks of both their lives.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty much the only person in my circle of friends that still has both parents together.

Long lasting marriage is the norm in my family, although my sister did get divorced not long ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    It sure is. My parents have both gone on to remarry and at times it feels like I come from four families not two. Whenever there's an occasion for either step family I feel almost left out and as if I shouldn't be there.

That sucks. :( My husbands family is huge with lots of step familys, estranged siblings ect. Family do's are pretty confusing.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents split when I was 14, totally screws up a kids outlook on life. Neither I or my brother have anything to do with mother, due to her readiness to whack us with a thick belt as kids. I regard my old gran as having been more of a mother to us, sad really. My gran was 90 today and we took her out for a meal, was nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    My parents split when I was 14, totally screws up a kids outlook on life. Neither I or my brother have anything to do with mother, due to her readiness to whack us with a thick belt as kids. I regard my old gran as having been more of a mother to us, sad really. My gran was 90 today and we took her out for a meal, was nice.

It certainly does, my patents spilt when I was 15 and almost 10 years on it still effects me.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of my parents are still married to each other - and have been so since 1980.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mother passed, Father in France and Brother in the US, so pretty broken up!
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents divorced when I was 8. My brother lives in the US and doesn't speak to my dad. My mother remarried a paedophile and I haven't spoken to her for about 4 months now and never will do again. She also managed to turn my grandparents against me, which is the saddest part because they are my favourite people on the planet.

Because of all this I felt unable to go to my brothers wedding in the US last month.

Families suck.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very.
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents are still together after 52 years of marriage, my grandparents all reached their golden weddings as have all my aunts and uncles. Sadly I divorced after 13 years of marriage and I hate it that my kids come from a broken home :-(
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    My parents were together nearly 40 years until my mum died. My dad died 7 years later, still on his own.

My in laws celebrate the Golden anniversary next month and my husband and i have our Silver next May.

Congrats on your silver next year x
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Mine got divorced when I was 11 which was 32 years ago, and they still hate each other.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mum and Dad married almost 36 years.

OH's parents the same (married slightly longer - 38 years)

All our grandparents were married until death.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents are divorced and I actually like it, as through that, I feel I've been able to get to know each of them as individuals, on a one-to-one basis, in a way I couldn't have when I was dealing with them as a couple.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother left my abusive, alcoholic father when I was three. First memories are of being in child therapy because of him, haven't seen or heard from him since. My mother was no better, verbally and physically abusive my whole life until I escaped to uni. Was dragged right back into her life and problems recently though, she's being diagnosed with dementia, I've had to take over caring for her young son (my brother). Worst part is having to listen to everyone tell me what a shame it is, a pity it's happened to such a wonderful lady, they have no idea what a nasty person she was. My Grandparents were wonderful though, together for 50 years, I hope I will be as happy as they were when I get married :).
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents are still together after 52 years of marriage, my grandparents all reached their golden weddings as have all my aunts and uncles. Sadly I divorced after 13 years of marriage and I hate it that my kids come from a broken home :-(

Similar.

Parents married over fifty years until my Dad died.
    Sister married 28 years
    Brother now married 15 years.
    Both sets of Grandparents married until death.

I divorced after five years. Daughter was four. She sees her father regularly though, and we have a decent, now more than just civil relationship.

Shame for her though.:(

Although she says she couldn't cope with him all the time either.;)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think mien are still married even though we haven't seen my Dad for about 17 years
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    parents are divorced, I have minimal contact with either of them

geographically sister is in sussex, I am in London, Mother in Birmingham, father in Derbyshire. Aunt and uncle in Lincoln.
    Stepbrother in Surrey.

all grnadparents are dead.