Options

Tesco It's a supermarket thread :D

Comments

• Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As one who as only very recently discovered the delights of Aldi, free delivery - hell even giving me 10% discount, wouldn't sway me back to any of the big 4 supermarkets.

My shopping bill has literally gone down at least 30%.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Well to me if I am spending £50 a week for 52 weeks of the year I would want my regular customer kept happy not the one off £300 of alcohol. I would call that good customer service. It's important they have regulars as that is custom they can rely on.

I believe all customers should be treated with the same courtesy regardless of how often they shop and what they order. To me, that is customer service.

We obviously have different ideas of what constitutes customer service. Anyway, you need not worry about our 'one off £300 of alcohol' (even though it wasn't all alcohol) upsetting the 'regulars' as the whole incident means we shop elsewhere.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe all customers should be treated with the same courtesy regardless of how often they shop and what they order. To me, that is customer service.

We obviously have different ideas of what constitutes customer service. Anyway, you need not worry about our 'one off £300 of alcohol' (even though it wasn't all alcohol) upsetting the 'regulars' as the whole incident means we shop elsewhere.

I totally agree. The bookable slots are up on the website for all to choose, and if they're gone they're gone, and regulars and one-offs take their chances. As a regular myself, I know I have to get in there quick at Christmas or else I'll miss out.

If any supermarket wants to offer 'regular' slots at busy times, then they should reserve them in some way so that they can give priority to regulars - perhaps with an emailed code to submit at checkout (like their Price Match discounts have a code on and it's individual to each customer), so regulars can get at the reserved slots. I dunno, really. I suppose it could be another incentive to shop regularly with them, for those with big families or busy lifestyles who know they'll need a delivery at Christmas.
    francie wrote: »
    Literally just had the order I placed last night delivered, 10 mins early to boot. No subs, £1.00 delivery and no doubt will get a "price match" (if there is any) in the mail. Love it :)

Great, innit? No doubt other places have success stories too (like Princess with Ocado), but I can't see myself trying Asda unless Tesco really upset me. Your price match will come by email, by the way, and if you could have shopped elsewhere cheaper it'll have a code on it for your next shop and you get the money off then (printable for in-store, if you prefer).

Edit: dammit, I keep calling it price match, but it's price promise. Soz. :blush:
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    As one who as only very recently discovered the delights of Aldi, free delivery - hell even giving me 10% discount, wouldn't sway me back to any of the big 4 supermarkets.

My shopping bill has literally gone down at least 30%.

As has the quality. A new Aldi (one of the first in the county) opened up near-ish to us.

Went once - never again - appaling quality products. Mind you where I live there is a great Butcher, Fish monger and Grocer who offer seriously good quality products, locally sourced at no more (real terms) expense than the nearest Morrisons.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    I totally agree. The bookable slots are up on the website for all to choose, and if they're gone they're gone, and regulars and one-offs take their chances. As a regular myself, I know I have to get in there quick at Christmas or else I'll miss out.

If any supermarket wants to offer 'regular' slots at busy times, then they should reserve them in some way so that they can give priority to regulars - perhaps with an emailed code to submit at checkout (like their Price Match discounts have a code on and it's individual to each customer), so regulars can get at the reserved slots. I dunno, really. I suppose it could be another incentive to shop regularly with them, for those with big families or busy lifestyles who know they'll need a delivery at Christmas.

Great, innit? No doubt other places have success stories too (like Princess with Ocado), but I can't see myself trying Asda unless Tesco really upset me. Your price match will come by email, by the way, and if you could have shopped elsewhere cheaper it'll have a code on it for your next shop and you get the money off then (printable for in-store, if you prefer).

Edit: dammit, I keep calling it price match, but it's price promise. Soz. :blush:

I always call it price match, as long as they continue giving them out they can call it whatever they want ;-) I've shopped with them for years and only had one real problem with them which was soon sorted, promptly and courteously, and I was given vouchers as compensation. Tried ASDA and I found their delivery awful to be honest but I appreciate that others are pleased with their service.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Tesco delivery booked to arrive between 3 and 4 today. I am well impressed with their service. I very seldom get any substitutions and the driver is really helpful and polite.

Many times they've emailed with an offer of free delivery which I take them up on. They also email after I've had my delivery and they've price checked all my order and they send you an e voucher if you have paid more than you would elsewhere. One week it was £2 approx and last week it was just over a quid. You can use these in store or online.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had to put all the pos & stuff out for this today in our extra. so many promotions going on at the same time, price drop, price promise, farm to fork, fuel save, prices down & staying down etc etc

they are like a headless chicken at the mo, sending us shit we can't display because there is literally nowhere to display it. they're panicking at tesco towers...
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Waitrose not Ocado... Ocado delivery is cheap and I use them sometimes but Waitrose delivery is free so they're my usual choice.

I used Tesco delivery for years and have very few complaints about the food (not many substitutions, good dates on everything etc.) but I got fed up of being harassed by their drivers so in the end I switched.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I owe the lady in tescos a big thanks.
    Memory is getting worse because of the Nero Behcets I have. Left quite a lot of shopping behind even dad didn't see it. the Lady came out of the store with items in hand and found us. it was pouring with rain and she was only wearing the Tesco shirt I felt terrible but emailed them to say a huge thank you.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I got fed up of being harassed by their drivers.
    In what way harassed? :o
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    In what way harassed? :o

Calling and texting me to ask me out on dates, keeping on calling and texting even after I had asked them to stop, knocking on my door to say hello, posting notes through my letterbox... I had it with 4 of their drivers, in the end I stopped complaining to Tesco and just started using another shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Calling and texting me to ask me out on dates, keeping on calling and texting even after I had asked them to stop, knocking on my door to say hello, posting notes through my letterbox... I had it with 4 of their drivers, in the end I stopped complaining to Tesco and just started using another shop.

marc_p88 doesn't work for them anymore.

4 drivers? Is being a sex pest part of their interview process?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Poundland?
  • Options
    India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been getting £1 or £2 delivery slots for months.

It's strange then that they've chosen to advertise this on the same week that they start to charge £4, if your shopping comes to under £25.

For those who have a very small food budget and have to rely on online shopping, due to being housebound, that's a big chunk of their money gone. The pensioners/poorest single people/disabled who can't get to a shop etc.... who can only spend £15 (or similar), for themselves will now have to go with £4 less food, if they can't find the extra money and pay out £19 (or similar), PLUS delivery charge. So, for those poorest, who can't spend £25 on food a week will now have to pay a minimum of £5 (£4 charge, £1 delivery), to get their food delivered. I will now have to try to find someone who will do my shopping for me, as I won't be able to afford to shop there any more (I can't get out and have to have it delivered). Their new charge will be a quarter of my food bill, which I just can't live on and would have to miss meals. Before anyone starts, I don't drink, smoke, go out, have a mobile, have a TV etc........ I do have internet (and a laptop which was a gift), which is my only luxury and that is to pay bills, have my only contact with the world, check e mails and WAS to do online shopping. Just getting that out there before the benefit haters (who think those on benefits live a life of luxury) want me to live on gruel and water. :p

I think the marketing has been so underhand because they have chosen to go full out on advertising the delivery charges that they have had for months - on the week they add on a surplus charge. Maybe they thought nobody would notice, as everyone would be so happy about still getting what they were already getting. :confused:
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    India_Rain wrote: »

It's strange then that they've chosen to advertise this on the same week that they start to charge £4, if your shopping comes to under £25.

For those who have a very small food budget and have to rely on online shopping, due to being housebound, that's a big chunk of their money gone. The pensioners/poorest single people/disabled who can't get to a shop etc.... who can only spend £15 (or similar), for themselves will now have to go with £4 less food, if they can't find the extra money and pay out £19 (or similar), PLUS delivery charge. So, for those poorest, who can't spend £25 on food a week will now have to pay a minimum of £5 (£4 charge, £1 delivery), to get their food delivered. I will now have to try to find someone who will do my shopping for me, as I won't be able to afford to shop there any more (I can't get out and have to have it delivered). Their new charge will be a quarter of my food bill, which I just can't live on and would have to miss meals. Before anyone starts, I don't drink, smoke, go out, have a mobile, have a TV etc........ I do have internet (and a laptop which was a gift), which is my only luxury and that is to pay bills, have my only contact with the world, check e mails and WAS to do online shopping. Just getting that out there before the benefit haters (who think those on benefits live a life of luxury) want me to live on gruel and water. :p

I think the marketing has been so underhand because they have chosen to go full out on advertising the delivery charges that they have had for months - on the week they add on a surplus charge. Maybe they thought nobody would notice, as everyone would be so happy about still getting what they were already getting. :confused:

Considering they had a £40 limit for delivery previously dropping it to £25 seems to be trying to be helpful to me. And £1 delivery slots are new to me and I have been a customer for years perhaps they have rolled it out to all areas if you have previously been getting them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering they had a £40 limit for delivery previously dropping it to £25 seems to be trying to be helpful to me. And £1 delivery slots are new to me and I have been a customer for years perhaps they have rolled it out to all areas if you have previously been getting them.

I've been a customer for years too and never had a £40 limit for delivery.
    Have been getting £1 slots since last year - admittedly on the slots nobody else wanted. Even a £2.50 delivery charge would see me better off, than paying £4 for nothing AND a delivery charge.

They admitted that this new £4 charge is to make up for the lower delivery charges. I just think it's a shame that people who can't afford that, will now have to find another way to shop. It's a coincidence though that they've brought this new charge in, on the same week they've marketed the "new" delivery charges. ;)
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Tesco the other day and a man started throwing butter, cheese and milk at me.

How dairy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other day and a man started throwing butter, cheese and milk at me.

How dairy.

:(:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a customer for years too and never had a £40 limit for delivery.
    Have been getting £1 slots since last year - admittedly on the slots nobody else wanted.

They admitted that this new £4 charge is to make up for the lower delivery charges. I just think it's a shame that people who can't afford that, will now have to find another way to shop. It's a coincidence though that they've brought this new charge in, on the same week they've marketed the "new" delivery charges. ;)

It doesn't sound like they had national charges so perhaps this brings everyone into line. Here we had a £40 limit and cheapest slots were £3.95 so this new pricing sounds very fair to us.

I doubt they are aiming the £4 at poor people although I take your point it does discriminate it's more likely to stop the daily shopper or ones who just want a pint of milk and some bread because they forgot to get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why did you give them your phone number ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't sound like they had national charges so perhaps this brings everyone into line. Here we had a £40 limit and cheapest slots were £3.95 so this new pricing sounds very fair to us.

I doubt they are aiming the £4 at poor people although I take your point it does discriminate it's more likely to stop the daily shopper or ones who just want a pint of milk and some bread because they forgot to get it.

Or the pensioner who used that £4 to feed their cat. Or the single parent who will now go without meals themselves, so they can feed their kids. It's those people I feel sorry for.
    My point was more the way it's been marketed. They haven't mentioned the new charges, just that they were lowering delivery.

And I always thought Tesco had no minimum delivery anywhere. I have no idea why you had to have a £40 limit when, if you google "Tesco minimum order" - it states everywhere that there is none (well, there wasn't, till this week), even on Tesco page themselves and a post here on DS.

I think it's only minimum £40 if you have "delivery saver" (maybe that's what you have), where you have to pay delivery in a block of a few months - which is different than just normal delivery. Because with "delivery saver" you can have as many deliveries as you like and it stops people just ordering a pint of milk, or whatever. Normal delivery has always been no minimum spend though - up until this week.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Why did you give them your phone number ?
    A contact number is needed if there a problems / delays with the delivery or finding the address. Although there is an argument for saying that information to be held only by CS and not given to the driver.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, funnily enough, I've just had to phone them because (stupidly) I'd left a few things off this month's order that I'd had delivered the other day - paying a quid to get the last few things wouldn't be a bother. Then I noticed the charge too, and was very surprised. Customer Service told me the charge was only introduced yesterday, and, because I was so puzzled, I asked if there had previously been a charge and she said no, there wasn't a minimum order before yesterday.

Would you be able to do (eg) two weeks shopping at a time, and escape that charge?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or the pensioner who used that £4 to feed their cat. Or the single parent who will now go without meals themselves, so they can feed their kids. It's those people I feel sorry for.
    My point was more the way it's been marketed. They haven't mentioned the new charges, just that they were lowering delivery.

And I always thought Tesco had no minimum delivery anywhere. I have no idea why you had to have a £40 limit when, if you google "Tesco minimum order" - it states everywhere that there is none (well, there wasn't, till this week), even on Tesco page themselves and a post here on DS.

I think it's only minimum £40 if you have "delivery saver" (maybe that's what you have), where you have to pay delivery in a block of a few months - which is different than just normal delivery. Because with "delivery saver" you can have as many deliveries as you like and it stops people just ordering a pint of milk, or whatever. Normal delivery has always been no minimum spend though - up until this week.
    We only took out delivery saver 2 months ago up to then we were paying as an when but we always had a £40 minimum they just wouldn't come to us with less. Incidentally they don't like coming to us with more £100 either the drivers really complain if we do a months shopping at once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, funnily enough, I've just had to phone them because (stupidly) I'd left a few things off this month's order that I'd had delivered the other day - paying a quid to get the last few things wouldn't be a bother. Then I noticed the charge too, and was very surprised. Customer Service told me the charge was only introduced yesterday, and, because I was so puzzled, I asked if there had previously been a charge and she said no, there wasn't a minimum order before yesterday.

Would you be able to do (eg) two weeks shopping at a time, and escape that charge?

Yeah, I think I may have to try to do this. I live week to week (as that's when my money comes in) but will have to try to make this week's food (only got delivered last Monday) stretch out for a fortnight and maybe borrow some, to last me - then I may be able to order in a couple of weeks and get double. I don't know what I'll do about fresh produce though, which will go out of date within a fortnight.