Options

Palm 105.5FM

Juiceman99Juiceman99 Posts: 17
Forum Member
Have heard slogans mentioning A brand new Breeze is coming to south Devon. Keep listening for more info on Palm fm today. Not heard anything official but is Palm becoming The Breeze?

Comments

• Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would almost certainly say 'yes' given that nearly all the other Celador stations have this name.
  • Options
    graemehardmangraemehardman Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    http://www.thebreeze.com/southdevon/

The website is almost ready...
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame but I guess Palm doesn't make much profit if any.
    At least the mess of 105.5 / 105.6 here will be the same!
  • Options
    Juiceman99Juiceman99 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Hi are they just changing Palm to The Breeze or are other stations affected like Radio Plymouth.
  • Options
    RadioMonsterRadioMonster Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For now, only Palm.
  • Options
    NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollard wrote: »
    At least the mess of 105.5 / 105.6 here will be the same!

At least the South Devon listeners will be able to enjoy many more prgrammes live and direct from Southampton. The network presentets will be brushing up on their Devon knowledge (ie. getting the map books out) ahead of recording those fabulous split links. The Palm listeners will have never had it so good; as Celador's Paul Smith himself once said, nobody does local radio like Celador! :p
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will still have local news and breakfast show which is better than handing back the licence.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    It will still have local news and breakfast show which is better than handing back the licence.

Networked drive too?
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Juiceman99 wrote: »
    Hi are they just changing Palm to The Breeze or are other stations affected like Radio Plymouth.

Radio Plymouth isn't owned by Celador
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Plymouth isn't owned by Celador

That'll be news to Celador, who own 36% of Radio Plymouth. http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/12/bob-mccreadie-for-radio-plymouth-breakfast/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That article is 2 years old. They are now 100% locally owned.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the article is indeed out of date. A quick check at Companies House reveals that Celador now own 51.6% of Radio Plymouth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting.... They claim to be 100% locally owned by local shareholders...

Mind you, I think The Breeze would be a better replacement TBH
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    Well the article is indeed out of date. A quick check at Companies House reveals that Celador now own 51.6% of Radio Plymouth.
    http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/story/2013-03-19/locals-to-control-radio-plymouth/
    2 years ago
    Previously the company was majority owned by a London based media company.
    Now several of the local shareholders have injected substantial new capital into the business gaining a 64% controlling interest for the local shareholder group of nine individuals.
    Maybe one, or more, of the nine has sold out?
    Will others?
  • Options
    PDMBPDMB Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised there not rebranding Torbay & Plymouth at the same time (assuming they do now have a majority stake-holding in Plymouth).

I presume the local South Devon shows will be broadcast from Torbay (assuming they are not going to be voice-tracked by presenter based at one of the other local hubs across the South & West).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As unpopular as Breeze is with us anoraks, I feel there is a handful of stations that would have closed down years ago if they haven't bought them. Especially Somerset, where at least they provide an alternative to Heart
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDMB wrote: »
    I presume the local South Devon shows will be broadcast from Torbay (assuming they are not going to be voice-tracked by presenter based at one of the other local hubs across the South & West).
    I'm not sure they can do that as the shows have to come from within a certain region. I'm not sure what region Devon comes under.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure they can do that as the shows have to come from within a certain region. I'm not sure what region Devon comes under.

Devon & Cornwall is one Ofcom approved area, so the 7 hours a day will have to come from Torbay or Plymouth (these are the two Celador owned stations in the area).

It could be a voicetracked show but this has to be played out from studios in the approved area.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As unpopular as Breeze is with us anoraks, I feel there is a handful of stations that would have closed down years ago if they haven't bought them. Especially Somerset, where at least they provide an alternative to Heart

What format is 'the Breeze'? How do they differ from Heart?
  • Options
    HistoricDealerHistoricDealer Posts: 3,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm in a minority but compared to a lot of the junk of these frequencies in the past, The Breeze sounds very professional and the news/travel is pretty good compared to others on the dial.

Anyone for a bit of Total Star?!

Plus how the likes of Vale FM survived as long as it did - even as Midwest is mind boggling - it's 2 small towns and some fields!

Just a shame RDS AF doesn't seem to work that well - along the a303 there are loads of different breezes fading in and out but no easy way to know which is which.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member
    Given the Radio X news on the Moyles forum looks like Radio Exe will soon be a Breeze just don't see how you can have two stations with names souding exactly the same.

Could save a lot by merging Palm, Exe and Plymouth into a Breeze Devon, would put the combined station in a stronger position to take on Heart, how about including Pirate in the merger to include Cornwall?
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    Palm 105.5 already have one presenter on shared with The Breeze - weekdays Robert Kenny (10am til 3pm)
  • Options
    RadioMonsterRadioMonster Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And all jingles as The Breeze (except they don't say Breeze)
  • Options
    pub 1pub 1 Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Should Radio Exe be worried with this development at all with the Breeze just down the road?
  • Options
    Paulrobbo_kPaulrobbo_k Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Radio Exe will not become the breeze, Celador 100% own palm.

Radio Exe believes in local broadcasting:

http://m.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Exe-Broadcasting-buys-shares-strenghten-control/story-23137358-detail/story.html