Options

UK austerity programme is 'the envy of Washington'

AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Sir Martin Sorrell is upbeat about our economy.

Sir Martin Sorrell, founder of WPP, the world’s largest advertising company, wasn’t feeling too down as he left New York after a visit to the US this month.

With 2011 coming into focus, “for the first time in a long time you can feel bullish about the UK in the medium-term”, Sir Martin believes. “What the UK is doing is the envy of people in Washington.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/8210571/WPPs-Sir-Martin-Sorrell-says-UK-austerity-programme-is-the-envy-of-Washington.html

Comments

• Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm so happy a wealthy Ad Man who will never have to experience the effects of the cuts is happy about our recovery. Makes me feel all warm inside. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    butchcasidybutchcasidy Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps this guy can supply Tesco through this snow drift - shops report having 75 per cent unsold goods so far this 'salestime'.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Perhaps this guy can supply Tesco through this snow drift - shops report having 75 per cent unsold goods so far this 'salestime'.

Yes - buy your pressies on Thursday. The shops will be getting desperate by then,:D
  • Options
    butchcasidybutchcasidy Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - buy your pressies on Thursday. The shops will be getting desperate by then,:D

Don't tell Cameron we have any spare cash he will send it abroad:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And this is precisely what I plan to do. :D I will go out on Thursday for Christmas cake and puddings and all sorts of other goodies with a limited shelf life.

A good time to fill the freezer.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    And this is precisely what I plan to do. :D I will go out on Thursday for Christmas cake and puddings and all sorts of other goodies with a limited shelf life.

A good time to fill the freezer.

My large 24 hour Tesco superstore (about 5 mins from where I live) is open until 10pm on Christmas Eve - no doubt they will be massively discounting all their 'party' food as it will be past its sell by date before Boxing Day. Now that's the time to get a bargain - 9.45pm on Xmas Eve.:D
  • Options
    JonPaulWildJonPaulWild Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Well I'm so happy a wealthy Ad Man who will never have to experience the effects of the cuts is happy about our recovery. Makes me feel all warm inside. :rolleyes:

But if he's confident that business will be okay in this country and prosper then that means good news for workers at all levels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My large 24 hour Tesco superstore (about 5 mins from where I live) is open until 10pm on Christmas Eve - no doubt they will be massively discounting all their 'party' food as it will be past its sell by date before Boxing Day. Now that's the time to get a bargain - 9.45pm on Xmas Eve.:D

Aha! Even better, a really late trip.:D

I love bargains.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if he's confident that business will be okay in this country and prosper then that means good news for workers at all levels.

Yes, thank goodness that advertising executives will be okay.

It's just a shame that care worker, cleaners, dustbin men etc. will have to bear the brunt of these cuts.

But as long as we've got advertising executives, we'll be ok.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's just a shame that care worker, cleaners, dustbin men etc. will have to bear the brunt of these cuts.

I don't think advertising executives are generally paid by the state.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I don't think advertising executives are generally paid by the state.

Under Labour they were.

Wasn't the UK Government the largest advertiser at one point during the recession? I certainly noticed a larger amount of government, NHS and local council advertising drivel on the local radio stations.

Don't worry - they're also shutting down lots of pointless quangos, and thus some highly paid quango executives and diversity councillors and similar non-jobs of that ilk will not be extracting money from the public purse.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Under Labour they were.

Wasn't the UK Government the largest advertiser at one point during the recession? I certainly noticed a larger amount of government, NHS and local council advertising drivel on the local radio stations.

Don't worry - they're also shutting down lots of pointless quangos, and thus some highly paid quango executives and diversity councillors and similar non-jobs of that ilk will not be extracting money from the public purse.

Cliche cliche cliche
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the US has a far-right party and a centre-right party, if the far-right party is "envious" of our plan, that should give us reason to step back and rethink, I would have thought.....
  • Options
    Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine they are envious that a party actually has the balls to do what is necessary, rather than pandering to people in denial.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Under Labour they were.

In 2008, the state was the biggest advertiser.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually if you see our public-sector deficit figures which came out today I suspect that we have some work to do. According to notayesmanseconomics.

"We as a nation borrowed some £22.8 billion in November which comes on the back of poor figures in October too. If we compare this to a year ago then in November 2009 we borrowed some £16.7 billion so today’s number was up by £6.1 billion. Remember since then recorded economic growth and indeed inflation which should help these numbers have both been fairly strong so the figures are in fact even worse than they initially seem."

So we still have problems to deal with.

http://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com