Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald

Comments

• spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Without wishing to be pedantic his victims were old ladies :D

I really do not understand this mentality when it comes to crime and punishment.

This was a 13 year old child whose mind was still developing.

Clearly he has had to pay for his crimes. No one is denying that. It is the sentence that is harsh.

The attitude of some people, when it comes to law and order, disgusts me.

This is not about excusing criminality it is about making the sentence proportional.

He was 15, & I don't like the insinuation that just because people are near death anyway, it's alright for other people to kill them. I'd be inclined to let him out in about 10 years time, meaning that he would've served 35 years.
  • Mel O'DramaMel O'Drama Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Without wishing to be pedantic his victims were old ladies :D

I really do not understand this mentality when it comes to crime and punishment.

This was a 13 year old child whose mind was still developing.

Clearly he has had to pay for his crimes. No one is denying that. It is the sentence that is harsh.

The attitude of some people, when it comes to law and order, disgusts me.

This is not about excusing criminality it is about making the sentence proportional.

In my understanding one the basis for both action and punishment in British Law is the question, 'Is it proportionate and reasonable ?'
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was 15, & I don't like the insinuation that just because people are near death anyway, it's alright for other people to kill them. I'd be inclined to let him out in about 10 years time, meaning that he would've served 35 years.

He was 13 when he committed the crime, 15 by the time he was tried and sentenced for it,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I didn't feel sympathy for them but it does seem cruel keeping them on death row for many years before executing them. It should be done immediately after an appeal has failed.

Thing is, they are executed immediately after the failure of their last appeal - trouble being, that that appeal process, through all its stages and levels, takes upwards of 12 years or more.

Also, I think I'm right in saying (but not sure of the details) that constitutionally you have to appeal (and, therefore, submit yourself to years on death row). In other words, even the most remorseful guilt-accepting murderer wouldn't be allowed to simply accept the death sentence and say 'fair enough, kill me now' - they are required to appeal under US law.

Incidentally, a couple of people have referred to 'next week's episode' - just to point out that the second part is on tonight, not next week.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, on at 9pm on ITV tonight.

I hope they show some of the people featured in Part 1 again like Sanford and the guy who killed a cop, and not just new prisoners.

Maybe Trev could make a whole series out of this - visiting different maximum security prisons in the US.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Jenkins123 wrote: »
    Killing for personal gain or satisfaction (murder) is wrong, but killing as a form of punishment for the murderer, is in my view, justified.

I'd like to see the family of the victim given the right to decide the sentence.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, they are executed immediately after the failure of their last appeal - trouble being, that that appeal process, through all its stages and levels, takes upwards of 12 years or more.

Also, I think I'm right in saying (but not sure of the details) that constitutionally you have to appeal (and, therefore, submit yourself to years on death row). In other words, even the most remorseful guilt-accepting murderer wouldn't be allowed to simply accept the death sentence and say 'fair enough, kill me now' - they are required to appeal under US law.

Incidentally, a couple of people have referred to 'next week's episode' - just to point out that the second part is on tonight, not next week.

I don't think that Timothy McVay (Oklahoma bomber) appealed, hence he was executed quite swiftly.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting soon!
  • firegoddess666firegoddess666 Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Interesting stuff.
    Programs like this facinate me
  • Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    It looked like that chap explaining the execution got a bit emotional in his left eye.. You could see it..
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    As much as I think these convicts are evil men and should be punished I'm not sure how much good it does executing them other than perhaps make the victim's family feel better. It certainly doesn't stop other horrendous crimes from happening.
  • firegoddess666firegoddess666 Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    aww, rascal the cat is so cute
    Forum Member
    Rascal's not impressed!
    Forum Member
    I just want to shout at these guys 'Never mind you missing your family what about the family of your victim!',
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was funny seeing the cat, it made me think isn't there an official 10 Downing Street cat as well? (or there used to be) lol...full of criminals they are there :p (im just kidding of course).

I almost felt sorry for the guy who said he'd be in prison from the age of 20 to over 70 and his mum had died, though I didn't catch what his crime was? presumably murder :-/ he seemed decent enough, not that you can really tell though I suppose but some prisons come across alot more aggressive than others I think.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    maltshovel wrote: »
    I just want to shout at these guys 'Never mind you missing your family what about the family of your victim!',

From the safety of your living room no doubt:rolleyes:
  • Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    What? They featured on the barbershop last episode! :/
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like you've got to have those horrible tattoos if youre a murderer!

Doesnt he realise if he (serving 50 years), or the others, never killed anyone they wouldnt have to be there.
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but maybe this time its a guard getting his cut!
    Forum Member
    From the safety of your living room no doubt:rolleyes:
    Maybe so but I would still like to hear their remorse for the crime they have committed
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding that guy who admitted to killing under contract, what about the person who paid him to do it - I take it he's in prison too? its awful to kill to hire but I wouldn't like to think the person who requested the hit somehow got away with a slapped wrist!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    would be interesting to see a similar program in a womens prison
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some how I dont think Diana would love him so much!
    Forum Member
    flos wrote: »
    would be interesting to see a similar program in a womens prison
    Has the US put any women prisoners to death?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    UK needs the death penalty badly , our justice system is the laughing stock of the world .

i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it being re-introduced , not that it ever will be , all the do-gooders have pretty much ruined any chance of offenders ever being properly punished for there crimes .