One Monkey, one typewriter and Infinity?- i doubt it

Comments

• MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Using the word 'Infinity' is the same as imagining that the Universe goes on forever....but does it??

You can have have infinities even within a finite space.

For example - the surface of a sphere could be traversed for an infinite time without ever hitting a barrier - yet the sphere itself encloses a finite amount of space.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it would be far easier to find a monkey with a perfect command of Shakespearean English than one that is immortal?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Chumbawamba this time around.
    Moony wrote: »
    Technically - it doesn't matter - even with one monkey typing for an infinite time, you would get the same outcome.
    I disagree with this. One monkey on his own may never be capable of producing a top quality Elizabethan era play or sonnet despite infinite time and resources.

With infinite monkeys there's room for infinite genetic variation so you're more likely to get one that could produce Shakespeare quality prose given infinite time and resources. It wouldn't have to live forever to achieve this either.
  • kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where would you put infinite monkeys though?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the monkey twigs what the point of the exercise is after a couple of million years and vows that henceforth he shall never produce ANYTHING in iambic pentameters?
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where would you put infinite monkeys though?

In an infinite monkey cage.....
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Actually, OP didn’t actually specify that infinity was referencing time. He could have a quantum monkey simultaneously occupying all points in space.

are you saying he could chimp through time?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    John146 wrote: »
    In an infinite monkey cage.....

I'd put them on little bicycles. :o
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the monkeys would eventually die of starvation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't particularly well thought out, is it? :D
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We'll assume we have an infinite number of banana farmers producing bananas for the monkeys and also an infinite number of sweeper uppers to collect the peelings and poop
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    We'll assume we have an infinite number of banana farmers producing bananas for the monkeys and also an infinite number of sweeper uppers to collect the peelings and poop

This is starting to look less and less feasible when you start to look at it more closely.

I say we call the whole thing off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But even with the most nutritious diet and cleanest conditions they'd all die eventually. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But even with the most nutritious diet and cleanest conditions they'd all die eventually. :D

Ermm mixed sex monkeys perhaps....:D
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I say we call the whole thing off.

Yeh - just download the f#cking thing off Amazon for christ sake :D
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok lets cancel the experiment as everyones just monkeying around and the idea is totally banana's anyway :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok lets cancel the experiment as everyones just monkeying around and the idea is totally banana's anyway :D

Your just 'aping' those who want to give up on the experiment..:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reminds me of the theory that if a lion could speak English then no English speaking person would be able to understand it.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Biologists who specialize in primates have suggested that the infinite monkey theorem has a number of flaws, as the monkey or monkeys involved are just as likely to bash the keyboard with a rock, or urinate on it. Monkeys who have been presented with typewriters and keyboards have generally produced works consisting only of one letter, with a few neighbouring letters thrown in for variation, illustrating the fact that monkeys cannot, in fact, type randomly."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-infinite-monkey-theorum.htm

monkeys are never to be trusted

As long as they can press the keys, what they do is irrelevant. At some point an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters will by blind luck type up the complete works of Shakespeare.

It may take an infinite amount of time, but it will happen.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    It was the blurst of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_elVGGgW8
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    As long as they can press the keys, what they do is irrelevant. At some point an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters will by blind luck type up the complete works of Shakespeare.

It may take an infinite amount of time, but it will happen.

Sorry but I cant see that happening, it may sound good to mathematicians at a dinner party or "maths bash" but back in the real world people say "no, sorry, we have had enough"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could, theoretically, have us off and give us 'something they made earlier' in the shape of a Shakespearean script book, leather-bound and everything. We're talking in infinite means here so isn't anything possible?
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I cant see that happening, it may sound good to mathematicians at a dinner party or "maths bash" but back in the real world people say "no, sorry, we have had enough"

Errr... yeah. Like Schroedinger's Cat, it's a thought experiment. It's not meant to be realistic.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the odds of a monkey hitting the right key are about 1 in 37 (a-z,space,0-9) ignoring punctuation and i'm sure someone has a letter count of the works of shakespeare and then some basic probability of getting it done in the right order would probably in the large number of zero's after the decimal point but given infinite amount of time and banana's and somewhere for the monkey to have a poo the theoretical probability will increase to a point where it approaches 1

They have a much better chance of doing it than many of the posters on here :eek: