Options

The Double Idemnity on Yesterday Channel 30/11/13 at 11:00

stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
Forum Member
Get ready for some superb film noir action. Billy Wilder directs, costumes by Edith Head, Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson star. You can't get much better than that.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Stone-cold classic. Never heard of this channel though... does it regularly show films? Might be worth keeping an eye on if it shows stuff of this calibre.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... and on r4extra sunday !

saturday, r4extra is doing "the postman always rings twice"."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Stone-cold classic. Never heard of this channel though... does it regularly show films? Might be worth keeping an eye on if it shows stuff of this calibre.

No they rarely shows films. They tend to show history programmes and stuff like Bargain Hunt, Last of the Summer Wine etc...
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Ah cheers.:D. Set to record. I see Radio 4's got a production of it on this weekend as well. Is there some sort of noir anniversary this weekend?
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Get ready for some superb film noir action. Billy Wilder directs, costumes by Edith Head, Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson star. You can't get much better than that.

You can't indeed, Stanwyck was robbed of the Oscar that year, and Fred and Edward G weren't even Nominated. Really hard to believe, especially as the winning actor Oscars went to Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald for Going My Way. Billy Wilder also lost the Best Film and Best Director award to that over rated film.

Just to nit pick, it is not The Double Idemntity, but Double Indemnity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "straight down the line"

course in the book Phyllis is a psycho of unimaginable proportions
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Bare in mind that there will be a massive DOG, the ratio may not be correct, there will be adverts and who knows what they'll cut.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Bare in mind that there will be a massive DOG, the ratio may not be correct, there will be adverts and who knows what they'll cut.

Oh I don't mind dogs in films. What have you got against them?:p
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member

You can get a boxed Stanwyck set from Amazon.co.uk containing six of her best films for just £12.60. I thought it was a bargain when I bought it for £25 ten years ago, and it certainly was.

It contains Double Indemnity. Also her classic screwball comedy The Lady Eve, plus, The Miracle Woman, The Bitter Tea of General Yen, Golden Boy, and All I Desire.

All worth seeing,, and proving that she was the most versatile actress of her time. :):)
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member

Yeah, I know that, but it is just nice to see it on a terrestrial channel again. I already have the DVD of it anyway. Hopefully, either the Beeb or Film 4 might show it again one day. :D