Options

Cinemas showing the wrong trailers

stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
Forum Member
A sort of funny thing happened to me yesterday. I went to see "Some Like It Hot" on Odeon Senior Screen(early morning Wednesdays and Thursdays - cheap tickets deal). They started showing the trailers(it's only 10 minutes of them on the Senior Screen showcase rather than the usual 20 or 30 minutes at other times at an Odeon) and they put up the usual "The following trailers are suitable for the following presentation"(remember Some Like It Hot is rated U by the BBFC) and the showed a trailer for Jude Law's new film "Spy" and it featured the F word, they also show another trailer for a film and it featured the V word. I think they might have shown the wrong trailers on the cinema server thing - as they were clearly not suitable for a U rated film. Is that right? Has anyone ever experienced the same thing? Luckily, it seemed everyone there was over 18 - but I was thinking it was the school holidays and if a couple of kids were in - it could have been bad. It did strike me as strange.

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    A sort of funny thing happened to me yesterday. I went to see "Some Like It Hot" on Odeon Senior Screen(early morning Wednesdays and Thursdays - cheap tickets deal). They started showing the trailers(it's only 10 minutes of them on the Senior Screen showcase rather than the usual 20 or 30 minutes at other times at an Odeon) and they put up the usual "The following trailers are suitable for the following presentation"(remember Some Like It Hot is rated U by the BBFC) and the showed a trailer for Jude Law's new film "Spy" and it featured the F word, they also show another trailer for a film and it featured the V word. I think they might have shown the wrong trailers on the cinema server thing - as they were clearly not suitable for a U rated film. Is that right? Has anyone ever experienced the same thing? Luckily, it seemed everyone there was over 18 - but I was thinking it was the school holidays and if a couple of kids were in - it could have been bad. It did strike me as strange.

Due to the wonder of digital projection, all screens are controlled from a computer in the managers office; ergo the wrong button gets pressed and you get the wrong trailers.

Would assume it's not that uncommon.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckily, it seemed everyone there was over 18 - but I was thinking it was the school holidays and if a couple of kids were in - it could have been bad. It did strike me as strange.
    Not really, or not necessarily. It strikes me that a 'Senior Screen' showing on a school day is highly un-likely to attract many schoolkids. I'd applaud any young 'un who had the good taste to skip school to watch a black and white film from the 50's, but it's not likely is it. I daresay the cinema knew precisely what the demographic was and scheduled the trailers according to the feature itself, not the certificate. Wouldn't you have thought it equally odd if they were for, I dunno, Ice Age 5 and Frozen 2? Wouldn't you have thought 'Who are they targeting these at?'.

Do you get many under 18's at these Senior Screen then?
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odeon Silver Cinema

http://www.odeon.co.uk/silvercinema/

where you have to be (you need proof of age?) over 55 to get in?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odeon Silver Cinema

LOL. When the OP wrote that "luckily" there were no under 18's there, I took that to mean that potentially there could have been. So, not exactly luck then, more policy. :D
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odeon Silver Cinema

Don't think that is actually set in stone...the screenings are aimed at that particular age group, but as far as I know or was, it is at the managers discretion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many biscuits do they give you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It just struck me as a bit strange given that the film was rated U - but as people have said it is the Senior Screen - so it aimed at an older audience.

As for kids - well, they could have come along with their grandparents to it - but I suspect the lure of GTA XIII might be more what young people like nowadays, rather than a black and white film.

The biscuits always seem to be gone by the time I get there. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the past I have been tempted to try one of these screenings, but the age thing has always deterred me from going. I'm 'only' in my forties. Is there really no age restriction on this, or would they ask for proof of age if they suspected I was younger than 55?
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    There are a few minor new stories of this type of thing happening if you google it - usually horror movie trailers shown before kids movies, or even horror movies being shown accidentally instead of the actual kids movie.

The dangers of digital, I guess :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the past I have been tempted to try one of these screenings, but the age thing has always deterred me from going. I'm 'only' in my forties. Is there really no age restriction on this, or would they ask for proof of age if they suspected I was younger than 55?

I'm 38 - and I got in. It's a cheap deal - and if you have a day off work - then it's good way to catch-up on slightly old releases for the cinema.

I've got to say that I've never actually been checked for tickets whenever I've been. The Odeon staff seem to be too busy with the tea and biscuits. It does seem likely you could slip into the cinema illegally. Not that I'm advocating that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    There are a few minor new stories of this type of thing happening if you google it - usually horror movie trailers shown before kids movies, or even horror movies being shown accidentally instead of the actual kids movie.

The dangers of digital, I guess :D

LOL. As Dr. Kermode would say - bring back the projectionist!

As for digital projection gone bad - the other experience of it was in a Curzon cinema a few weeks ago - I went to see "Ex Machina" and the film was delayed by about 20 minutes - they just rebooted the server, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 38 - and I got in. It's a cheap deal - and if you have a day off work - then it's good way to catch-up on slightly old releases for the cinema.

I've got to say that I've never actually been checked for tickets whenever I've been. The Odeon staff seem to be too busy with the tea and biscuits. It does seem likely you could slip into the cinema illegally. Not that I'm advocating that! :D

Cheers. It isn't so much recent releases I'm interested in. It's more really old films. There are loads of them that I'd love to see at the cinema. The last one I went to see was Get Carter (1971) which was screened at my local multiplex back in about 2002 or something. Really enjoyed that screening.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I know someone who cost the cinema the rights to show a certain distributors movies as he accidentally spliced 18/15 trailers onto a pg movie, 5 years i think they were restricted with what they could show.

I know someone else at the same cinema who used to cut scenes out of the reels either for a laugh, or sometimes because they only had 2 projectors, it saved hom having to switch twice if he could fit the movie onto two reels.:o

He used to laugh about it, saying he had cut some of the best scenes out if loads of films and no one ever noticed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I know someone who cost the cinema the rights to show a certain distributors movies as he accidentally spliced 18/15 trailers onto a pg movie, 5 years i think they were restricted with what they could show.

I know someone else at the same cinema who used to cut scenes out of the reels either for a laugh, or sometimes because they only had 2 projectors, it saved hom having to switch twice if he could fit the movie onto two reels.:o

He used to laugh about it, saying he had cut some of the best scenes out if loads of films and no one ever noticed.

LOL - That sounds like what Tyler Durden did in "Fight Club" - with splicing in nude pictures into kids' films. I wonder if the people that you knew was inspired by that? :D
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member

This made me laugh. Could you imagine if they really did have a 55 certificate and you could be turned away for being too young to go in! Could you imagine being asked how old you are. Then you say I am 55. Then they say sorry you only look about 52 so we can't let you in!!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once went to the cinema and they showed the completely wrong film. Despite protests, they still showed the whole thing after admitting that they didn't actually have the correct film to hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    This made me laugh. Could you imagine if they really did have a 55 certificate and you could be turned away for being too young to go in! Could you imagine being asked how old you are. Then you say I am 55. Then they say sorry you only look about 52 so we can't let you in!!

My local swimming baths have Over 50s Only swim sessions (they also have Ladies Only swim sessions, but no equivalent for blokes, but that's another issue!), where the entrance fee is lower than the normal price. I can actually imagine a member of staff asking for age verification for that if they think they look too young. This Silver Cinema is along the same lines as that. I might give it a go if they screen anything I'm interested in. Great if they decided to screen something like Master and Commander, Zulu, or any one of a multitude of old films I like.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I once went to the cinema and they showed the completely wrong film. Despite protests, they still showed the whole thing after admitting that they didn't actually have the correct film to hand.

Did you get your money back?
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I went to the first screening in the morning and we didn't have adverts or trailers.As nothing had started until I went out to complain and it just started straight away into the film!

This was in cine world but was a problem that happened because of it all being computer controlled now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that some cinemas have shown a film with a certificate from the Irish Film Censors Board rather than the BBFC(I've seen this happen twice - once with Guardians of the Galaxy and the second time was with Foxcatcher). I assume this is down to the distributor and having a digital copy?
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that some cinemas have shown a film with a certificate from the Irish Film Censors Board rather than the BBFC (I've seen this happen twice - once with Guardians of the Galaxy and the second time was with Foxcatcher). I assume this is down to the distributor and having a digital copy?

Yes, they must have gotten hold of an Irish copy because it was the only one they could get at the time. Both of those films have the same ratings in Ireland and the UK anyway (Foxcatcher is an advisory 15A in Ireland and a restrictive 15 over here, but whatever) so it probably didn't matter much to put the Irish rating in front of the film instead of the British one.
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Has anyone here had it when the age certificate doesn't show up at all before the start of the film? I saw Kingsman a few months ago and it was in a normal 2D screening as well. It's a legal document so I thought it had to be put before the film.

This isn't a massive problem or anything; I'm just curious to find out why.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Has anyone here had it when the age certificate doesn't show up at all before the start of the film? I saw Kingsman a few months ago and it was in a normal 2D screening as well. It's a legal document so I thought it had to be put before the film.

This isn't a massive problem or anything; I'm just curious to find out why.

That is unusual. I have been going to the cinema for over fifty years and I am sure I have never seen a film that didn't have age certificate banner before the film. I remember the 70's when it would say "This film has been passed A" or "This film has been passed X". X films were coloured red, AA was blue if I remember and A was green. Not sure what a U was as there wasn't many of those back then! Anyway not sure why you saw a film with no age certificate before it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, they must have gotten hold of an Irish copy because it was the only one they could get at the time. Both of those films have the same ratings in Ireland and the UK anyway (Foxcatcher is an advisory 15A in Ireland and a restrictive 15 over here, but whatever) so it probably didn't matter much to put the Irish rating in front of the film instead of the British one.

Ahhh - I see now. Okay, thank you for the reply.