How many carrier bags have you got?

13»

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a single one.

I've been using hessian bags for about ten years, every time we go shopping. Making sure we've got our bags is as 'second nature' as making sure we've got money and car keys.

Not all of us go shopping in cars and not all of us make a planned shopping trip. I go into town to meet someone for a coffee and then decide to do a bit of shopping.

I have not done a planned shop for a few months.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not all of us go shopping in cars and not all of us make a planned shopping trip. I go into town to meet someone for a coffee and then decide to do a bit of shopping.

I have not done a planned shop for a few months.

I met someone for a coffee last week and on the way back to the car I saw a book my mother would like in W H Smiths so popped in to buy it. I also bought her three adult colouring books and some new pencils and a bottle of water. At the till they asked me to pay for a bag and I said no (I could sell them a few the amount I have). I ended up juggling the lot whilst trying to find my car keys etc. That will teach me to be mean. :( However, I do agree that sometimes shopping isn't planned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linmic wrote: »
    I met someone for a coffee last week and on the way back to the car I saw a book my mother would like in W H Smiths so popped in to buy it. I also bought her three adult colouring books and some new pencils and a bottle of water. At the till they asked me to pay for a bag and I said no (I could sell them a few the amount I have). I ended up juggling the lot whilst trying to find my car keys etc. That will teach me to be mean. :( However, I do agree that sometimes shopping isn't planned.

A bag cost a few pence, even when the time comes that we have to pay for a bag will not stop me. 5p for a bag is peanuts as long as it is a decent bag.

I am going to town on Saturday to meet a mate for coffee, shopping is not planned, so a bag I will not take and where am I suppose to put this bag anyway?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i have a few stashed in cupboard..I also take a couple with me when get bits of shopping ..i sometimes forget and buy the odd ones :D
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    A bag cost a few pence, even when the time comes that we have to pay for a bag will not stop me. 5p for a bag is peanuts as long as it is a decent bag.

I am going to town on Saturday to meet a mate for coffee, shopping is not planned, so a bag I will not take and where am I suppose to put this bag anyway?

Several options open to you there.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably a hundred or so in a box. I use 2 massive freezer bags when I go and do my collect or a food shop (this type of thing https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbqcWUjdC0WhbSNjavgqQHqQu0bxUkZhKKPVSKsJghnO9gtaV_) but when I go for my click & collect or have a delivery it's always in about 20 separate carrier bags. They get shoved in a box, which is now overflowing.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    We've got a cupboard full of them. I use them for putting the recycling in (yes I know plastic bags need to go in the normal bin), cat litter, dead batteries (I take them to be recycled once I have a load) and as liners for the bins in the bathrooms.

Tesco used to have a recycling thing for old plastic bags, but it seems to have disappeared now. I used to take them over to that when it was there.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would find it difficult to count mine as I picked up a whole pack of new unseparated Tesco bags I found in a shopping trolley just left in a trolley park, How they got to be there I can't imagine.
  • Options
    fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few but can't be bothered to count them. I keep a carrier bag stuffed full of them in a cupboard but rarely reuse them for shopping as I have the stronger reusables for that. I mainly use them for double wrapping anything smelly going in my bin or wrapping shoes etc she packing a suitcase. I also use them if friends come round to borrow a few books. I must use them for other things too but can't think what at the moment.

I am old enough to remember my old mum carefully flattening and folding packaging and storing it away. Things were not over packaged in those days it was mainly brown paper bags or a bit of greaseproof paper. Even used .to get a block of salt wrapped in greaseproof and you had to grind it yourself, painful if you had a cut on you hand as there were no rubber gloves, well not in our house in the 50's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Several options open to you there.

And for you as well.