Options

RIP the charts

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/feature/a637644/farewell-pop-pickers-chart-show-move-to-fridays-is-the-end-of-an-era.html#~phEfEG9f8ZgvY7

Reading that article, some jobsworth has made up some useless rules that are forcing these changes. Also, the way the music / radio industry is these days, the top 20 will consist of every song played on commercial radio day in day out, and songs will linger in the chart for weeks and months on end because they are so stale now because new artists can't break out and climb the charts anymore :(

Whats your thought on the move to Fridays? Are you sad charts are gone?

Remember listening on Sundays to this and trying to hit record at the right times? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGGsVC7xndM

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't the top 20 always been made up of songs played and promoted on commercial radio?

As for how I feel about the move, I feel 'meh'. The last time I paid attention to the charts was in the mid to late 90s. Now, I don't really give a steaming bucket of the proverbial who makes it to number 1 or how long they hang about the charts for.
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not playing the full top 40 is just ridiculous, as is the move to Friday's. The charts are, imo, in an awful state at the moment; songs are lingering in the top 10 for numerous weeks due to streaming, which as I've said before contributes to other songs performing badly as they haven't received enough streams; the real low point for me was Meghan Trainor and the awful OMI both topping the charts for a month. Jason Derulo's song wasn't bad but still shouldn't have been #1 for was as long as it was, as was Uptown Funk (I'm still astounded that made 7 weeks at #1)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although they had been around since the 50s, the charts were basically "invented" as a marketing device by pirate radio. The idea was that your favourite station's chart was better than all the others', so you listened to their top 40 because that was how you heard the best music.

Over the years that has always been the principle (e.g. commercial radio chart vs Radio 1) but nowadays, who cares? You won't hear the best music on the chart show so it's no longer an effective marketing device for radio.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Does this new global release date mean the UK no longer has to wait an eternity for a song that has been out elsewhere for 2/3 months
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    MK184 wrote: »
    Not playing the full top 40 is just ridiculous, as is the move to Friday's. The charts are, imo, in an awful state at the moment; songs are lingering in the top 10 for numerous weeks due to streaming, which as I've said before contributes to other songs performing badly as they haven't received enough streams; the real low point for me was Meghan Trainor and the awful OMI both topping the charts for a month. Jason Derulo's song wasn't bad but still shouldn't have been #1 for was as long as it was, as was Uptown Funk (I'm still astounded that made 7 weeks at #1)

It's been so long since I listened to the charts that I was unaware of this fact. I used to listen to the chart countdown weekly when I was a kid.

I am aware of the move to Fridays though.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    The last time I tuned into the UK top 40 was the Sunday when Spectrum (Calvin Harris Remix) went to #1 as I was rooting all week for Florence to get the #1 single. :D

The strangest thing about moving the chart to Friday's is that it won't make a blind bit of difference. Record companies are still going to hold back new releases for two months like they've been doing since 1998. It's just new singles will be released on Friday instead of Sunday.

I had hoped the introduction of Global Release Day would've included the UK so when an artist releases a new single, it gets released internationally. Sadly, that isn't the case - far from it.

The UK charts are still going to be stagnant in 3 months time as streaming continues to hinder the success of new singles that only get to #30 during the week on iTunes.

Thinking Out Loud for 100 consecutive weeks in the top 40. You might laugh but the way it's going, it's a shocking possibility. :o
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Hold music back? Don't you just type the song followed by 'mp3' into Google and get it? That's how the rest of us do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Hold music back? Don't you just type the song followed by 'mp3' into Google and get it? That's how the rest of us do it.

Touché!!! :D

...and record companies then complain that sales of digital music is on the decline. LOL!!! Amazing. :p
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    Does this new global release date mean the UK no longer has to wait an eternity for a song that has been out elsewhere for 2/3 months

It won't make a scrap of difference - the only thing that changes is new release will be on Fridays instead of Mondays. I imagine it will affect albums more than singles.

The title of the thread is an overreaction IMO, the charts are arguably dying a slow and lingering death and have been for a while - at least as far as general public interest goes.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The death of charts is the best thing to happen to music diversity.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what is the new chart week? Midnight Friday to Thursday 23.59?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what is the new chart week? Midnight Friday to Thursday 23.59?

It will be from 10th July onwards...or until the world realises new music Friday didn't quite go to plan and swiftly revert back to Sunday releases sometime in 2017. :D

The only chart anomaly is happening right now. For the first time (well, that I'm aware of anyways :p ) we are going to have an official UK chart that consists of just 5 days of sales, rather than the usual 7.

How that impacts the chart will be revealed on Friday. Having seen the midweeks, I'm hoping Years & Years get to #1 with the sublime Shine. I can't stress how much I despise House Every Weekend - it would easily be the worst UK #1 since Gareth Malone's cover of Wake Me Up got there last year.

Then again, it's the UK charts. Our charts never go 12 months without some absolute shite topping the chart. :cry:
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Friday release is a good idea, it bugged me that countries released on different days, and it's good albums and singles will now be the same day, I just would like the UK to get songs the same time as everyone else, hopefully this will pile on the pressure for that.
  • Options
    ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    I had hoped the introduction of Global Release Day would've included the UK so when an artist releases a new single, it gets released internationally. Sadly, that isn't the case - far from it.:o

That's what I wanted more than anything, how can it be a global release day if we still have to wait months for US releases, so annoyed that UK labels opted out of this.

But I understand why, would the only decent song in the top 10 Walk The Moon be anywhere in the charts if it has been released September last year,no chance it would have sold a 1000 or so and vanished,make you wait half a year and they get enough sales to make a huge hit
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should leave the chart as is and create a new popular songs/new songs list. The chart has always been about what's being bought, downloaded or purchased the most that week. In that sense it's just like a stock taking or counting up the till at any shop.

It is however and has always been only one measure of what's popular - what appeals to the most people, whether naturally or through exposure, is of course what is purchased the most each week.

Whether that should be counted as a measure of an artist's success or as an indicator of what types or genres of music are popular at the minute is questionable, given that certain tracks are being actively pushed to sell, just like the latest fashions in clothes.

That's why in order to see what's popular or to expose people to new music or new releases, they should make a new program and make that the go-to place for everyone to watch or listen to or look up to find out things about new music - rather than a glorified sales list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thorney wrote: »
    That's what I wanted more than anything, how can it be a global release day if we still have to wait months for US releases, so annoyed that UK labels opted out of this.

But I understand why, would the only decent song in the top 10 Walk The Moon be anywhere in the charts if it has been released September last year,no chance it would have sold a 1000 or so and vanished,make you wait half a year and they get enough sales to make a huge hit

I mentioned this in another thread. What they should do is premier new singles to radio stations and music channels at the same time. Then no more than 3 weeks later get the songs on iTunes and Spotify. After a few years of excellent sales of digital music, sales have started to plummet. Well of course they have. People were able to listen to Shut Up And Dance on Spotify two months ago, but they couldn't download it on iTunes. Plus, radio stations only playlist singles when they're about to get released. Except Capital FM who only seemed to have started playing Walk The Moon since it went top 10. The charts so depressingly slow, and will only geetttt ssssllllloooooowwwwwwweeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
    That's why in order to see what's popular or to expose people to new music or new releases, they should make a new program and make that the go-to place for everyone to watch or listen to or look up to find out things about new music - rather than a glorified sales list.

Tbh, the BBC are absolutely useless when it comes to music related programmes on TV & radio. They axed TOTP because they just didn't know what to do with the show. By the time TOTP was moved to Fridays at 7pm (before it was axed) the chart was already nearly a week old, and the charts were much faster back in 1999/2000. Add to that the fact that the following morning there was CD:UK that was based around the midweek charts and usually revealed the new UK #1 a whole day before the BBC officially announced the obvious with the UK top 40 on Sunday.

Also, it seemed like as soon as TOTP was axed, suddenly people started downloading songs on iTunes after hearing a 15 second clip in Eastenders, or Hollyoaks. Again, proving that BBC were just hopeless at being current and with the times.

I've heard rumours that TOTP might be reinstated but I doubt it'll happen. It's too good to be true as far as the BBC are concerned. Then you've got issues with BBC radio stations refusing to play music from artists who were on The Voice - but that's another matter altogether. All in all, BBC are useless when it comes to music. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the whole 'recording off the Top 40' thing was part of what made the charts popular in the 70s and 80s. You needed to know what positions your favourites were so you were prepared the following Sunday! I never bought a vinyl single iny life, I taped everything.

I was 18 when it changed to actually being announced for the first time on Sunday so I don't know what the next generation of kids did! But for the youngsters today, any song they like is available any time of the day or night, there's no need for them to know what number it is or even if it's in the charts at all. I think older generations find it hard to understand how something that was so important to us can be irrelevant to the young ones today, but we should.