Options

Who have been the Best Recasts in Soap History

Comments

• Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Going against the grain I think the original Janine had the makings of a great actress. Her childhood scenes are fantastic. :D

Agree about Kim/Sam.

The actress who played her as a child was fantastic, but the one after her (and before Charlie) was forgettable IMO. Charlie was a big improvement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Another vote here for Hetti Bywater as Lucy. Melissa Suffield was okay but Hetti provided rawness and vulnerability to the character that lacked a little under Melissa, which as mentioned before made her a little 1-dimensional.

I agree Hetti wasn't great in her first few months on screen but she really grew into the role IMO over time, and it's sad that she was killed off because I felt that both the character and actress had brilliant potential.

Honourable mentions to: Jacqueline Jossa, Ben Hardy and Harry Reid as Ben Mitchell, as he is my favourite recast of the character to date.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    The actress who played her as a child was fantastic, but the one after her (and before Charlie) was forgettable IMO. Charlie was a big improvement.

Oh yes. I had actually forgotten her which proves your point. :D I don't mind Charlie though.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Oh yes. I had actually forgotten her which proves your point. :D I don't mind Charlie though.

:D Charlie seemed to take her facial expressions from the child actress...the wide eyed innocence, the tongue poking out the corner of her mouth, the scowl etc. The child actress really was excellent...shame she left.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    Gemma Bissex who took over the role of Clare Devine in Hollyoaks from an actress called Samantha Rowley. She turned the character into a complete super bitch and Clare became one of the most popular characters in Hollyoaks history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    :D Charlie seemed to take her facial expressions from the child actress...the wide eyed innocence, the tongue poking out the corner of her mouth, the scowl etc. The child actress really was excellent...shame she left.

She was. :D I miss the original Butchers.
  • Options
    glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,323
    Forum Member
    Ben Mitchell I think, the newest one seems to be a very good actor and plays the part great.
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The future recasting of Simon Barlow, can't imagine that they'd be worse than the current one.
  • Options
    sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    The late great Maggie Jones as Blanche, she was originally played by someone else

Patricia Cutts (1974)
    Maggie Jones (1974–2009)

Patrica only played Blanche for 2 episodes before Maggie took over due to Patricia committing suicide.
  • Options
    sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also like the new Shabnam
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Ben Mitchell
    Bobby Beale
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also like the new Shabnam

Oh yeah. Good call.
  • Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    The new Shabnam is like a completely different character altogether though, she's nothing like the old one.

I'm trying to think of Brookside recasts but can only think of Katie and Leo?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The new Shabnam is like a completely different character altogether though, she's nothing like the old one.

I'm trying to think of Brookside recasts but can only think of Katie and Leo?

Brookie recasts Lucy and Gordon Collins
    Geoff and Katie Rogers
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JohnDoe14 wrote: »
    The future recasting of Simon Barlow, can't imagine that they'd be worse than the current one.

Hope he stays on for many years
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still on the fence about Rakhee Thakrar's Shabnam. She can be really good and she is growing on me, but the extent of the character's transformation still takes me aback. Zahra Ahmadi's portrayal as a westernised girl in a Muslim family was getting quite interesting in her brief run. It was a shame she quit.

The few women who've been associated with the Masoods in Shabnam's absence - Amira, Afia, even Ayesha - were far far less conservative than new Shabs. Amira and Afia were pretty westernised but not rebellious as how the original Shabnam was portrayed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't mind Rakhee, apart from that awkward smile she does when she's shocked/crying. And she's clearly made the role her own and I like both Shabs.

But I do wish Zarah had returned as it would make the shock of her conversion more real. This still feels like someone different.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zoza_65 wrote: »
    Probably controversially, I like James Bye as Martin in EE. I can't remember the previous one TBH so the recast doesn't bother me

I don't know whether the casting department just did a very good job or James B studied James A's work closely but I hear original Martin now in every scene. It's great recasting.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dexter Walker on H&A, Charles Cottier really made him the loveable character that everyone grew to love and laugh with.

Not a popular opinion but Ben Price on Corrie as Nick, he really gave Nick some character depth and he is a far better actor than Adam Rickitt who was more wooden than a logging truck.
  • Options
    MaurimanMauriman Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Todd cart as mark fowler.
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    The best ever has got to be the new Martin Fowler. This new guy is utterly captivating and mesmerising with incredible screen presence......sorry I couldn't keep that going.
  • Options
    BakervichBakervich Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rakhee as Shabnam
    Hetti as Lucy
    Kim as Sam
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryan Hawley playing Robert on Emmerdale
    Kim Medcalf playing Sam on Eastenders
    Amanda Clapham playing Holly on Hollyoaks
    Jacqeline Jossa playing Lauren on Eastenders. Not a huge Lauren fan, but Jacqueline has at least made the character her own and is not wooden like the previous actress who did play Lauren.

The ones above are the best recasts on soap, in my opinion.

Sorry, but I did not like Hetti playing Lucy on Eastenders. Melissa was the better Lucy as I am concerned.
    Can't think of anyone else at the moment.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Ryan Hawley - Robert in Emmerdale. I think he's brilliant, a real find for ED.
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clive Hornby as Jack Sugden. I can't even visualise the original.