I love Emmerdale but...

Cheekymonkey09Cheekymonkey09 Posts: 713
Forum Member
✭✭
...does anyone find it too violent at times?

Recent scenes between Cain and Robert, Ross beating that illegal immigrant and today Ross beating Robert again with the mugging, they just seem too much sometimes, what makes it worse is that these characters never suffer any consequences of their actions.

Other than that, it's a great soap:D:D

Comments

• cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    It's getting a bit ridiculous, yes.

The Cain/Robert stuff where Cain tied him up was fantastic, I thought, because it showed Cain still had this violent side we hadn't seen for a long time.

But I am sick to death of Ross beating people up. Both the attack on the migrant fella and the attack on Robert tonight were both pretty stupid and unnecessary - and the scenes were thrown away like they didn't matter. It really is starting to feel like they don't know what to do with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Recent scenes between Cain and Robert, Ross beating that illegal immigrant and today Ross beating Robert again with the mugging, they just seem too much sometimes, what makes it worse is that these characters never suffer any consequences of their actions.

Nearly all the time now. >:(
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even Eastenders hasn't had this much violence :o
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    It is a bit rough and ready at the moment isn't it? Annie Sugden wouldn't approve!
    I assume it's simply the BIG build-up to next weeks HUGE Happenings, and creating lots of 'Whodunnit' types of story regarding revenge etc!
    It'll calm down next month, and it'll be back to Edna walking/carrying Tootsie and tea-parties at Bobs Cafe! Trust me. (??)
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's getting a bit ridiculous, yes.

The Cain/Robert stuff where Cain tied him up was fantastic, I thought, because it showed Cain still had this violent side we hadn't seen for a long time.

But I am sick to death of Ross beating people up. Both the attack on the migrant fella and the attack on Robert tonight were both pretty stupid and unnecessary - and the scenes were thrown away like they didn't matter. It really is starting to feel like they don't know what to do with him.

Thought the worst bit of violence Ross did was on the old man who was stopping him from getting past. Last we saw of him he was left in a coma. Ross didnt bat an eyelid. Nothing excuses his violence - not even the cutesy April scenes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a bit rough and ready at the moment isn't it? Annie Sugden wouldn't approve!
    I assume it's simply the BIG build-up to next weeks HUGE Happenings, and creating lots of 'Whodunnit' types of story regarding revenge etc!
    It'll calm down next month, and it'll be back to Edna walking/carrying Tootsie and tea-parties at Bobs Cafe! Trust me. (??)
    Can we have that on a legal document and signed in blood? (there's enough of it around, it doesn't need to be yours)
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Thought the worst bit of violence Ross did was on the old man who was stopping him from getting past. Last we saw of him he was left in a coma. Ross didnt bat an eyelid. Nothing excuses his violence - not even the cutesy April scenes.

But what about Cain, battering Robert? Along with punching Kirin and Dull Dan?

Or Aaron smashing a bottle over James's head?

Seems they always get excused for their violent actions by some posters.;-)
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just as bad I agree but Ross seems to do it all the time without any sign of remorse at all.
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Yes there laying it on too thick these days
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Just as bad I agree but Ross seems to do it all the time without any sign of remorse at all.

At least he isn't a hypocrite. Aaron is a violent thug who turns on the tear stick and it's ok because he's soooo upset. Cain killed an animal. He's the Dales version of that America dentist :p
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found the show quite hypocritical in portraying Robert as villain when Aaron, Cain and Ross have committed gbh a number of times. Tonight was too much. The trouble is they don't portray the injuries that a person would sustain in reality. James would have been cut up and perhaps had brain damage from being bottled. Robert would have sustained a broken nose at least. Robert only grazing Paddy when in reality he would have probably been killed from that distance. Cain seems to beat people up on a regular basis. It just trivialise's violence.
  • All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Oates is destroying Emmerdale single handedly. The acting in the episodes are appalling especially from the actress playing Chrissie painful to watch :o

Tracy from Corrie gets criticism on here for getting away with things, yet Ross commits crimes left right and centre and nobody bats a eyelid.
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Oates is the beat thing to happen to Emmerdale. It's the best it has ever been and is sooo far ahead of the other soaps. Can't wait for next week, its building up to be the best week I. Soap and might even rival EELive
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Kate Oates is the beat thing to happen to Emmerdale. It's the best it has ever been and is sooo far ahead of the other soaps. Can't wait for next week, its building up to be the best week I. Soap and might even rival EELive

Not sure about that, I reckon it's been far better than it is now. Fair enough though
  • NoxyNoxy Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    Apart from Betty's exit, I haven't watched Emmerdale properly since Katie left. It's too violent and nasty nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Of Me wrote: »
    Kate Oates is destroying Emmerdale single handedly. The acting in the episodes are appalling especially from the actress playing Chrissie painful to watch :o

Tracy from Corrie gets criticism on here for getting away with things, yet Ross commits crimes left right and centre and nobody bats a eyelid.
    She sure is. >:( Is she secretly employed by the BBC?
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ED is by far the best, it's great at the mo.
  • MaddaleneMaddalene Posts: 239
    Forum Member

Yes we were saying this. I like emmerdale too, but the violence is getting silly now.

Every single episode someone beats up Robert (lol) people get kidnapped or shoved in the boot of the car

That scene with moira rushing to hit chrissie in the middle of cain beating up- Robert was actually hilarious though. Kept expecting harry hill to turn up.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Of Me wrote: »

BIB: That's not true - a lot of us have commented about Ross and his criminal ways including all the violence. Some people who liked him before now dislike him because they're so fed up of it.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair it's on form right now
    Forum Member

The lack of aftermath to that bottle smashing was flaming ridiculous! Aaron never seems to give a toss about anything he does (because he's always the victim, boo hoo), James barely had a scratch, and no one did a thing - Diane didn't even chuck the little tosser out of living in the pub!

BUT I'm not going to get into bashing ED. It's a fun watch most of the time, they're just getting a bit lazy with the violence. When Ross held up Robert tonight, I barely looked up from my phone. Just thought, oh Ross is beating someone up again. Yawn.

Sort it out, Emmerdale, you're better than that.
  • Marsh.Marsh. Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it too much debbie dingle tbh.
    Forum Member

Delighted to announce, btw, that the highlight of tomorrow's 1st epi seems to be:
    Sandy takes a tumble whilst out walking Tootsie.

Hurray!
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he isn't a hypocrite. Aaron is a violent thug who turns on the tear stick and it's ok because he's soooo upset. Cain killed an animal. He's the Dales version of that America dentist :p
    Killing some chickens and a dog is worse than putting two human beings into comas:o??

I wonder how the nation's vets, farmers, slaughterers, gamekeepers, fishermen and hunters would feel about that:o?? Yes it's very cruel, yes many serial killers start off by doing that sort of thing but Cain isn't a serial killer. He is very violent, but Ross is far more so to my mind - because extreme violence to the extent of almost killing people seems to be his first resort these days. What had the old man or the driver done to deserve that? Got in between him and some cash. Pity he didn't bother to think about if he could do these 'jobs' without almost killing innocent people for the sheer cheek of getting in his way.

Aarin was wrong to hit James, but there was some provocation, although his response was out of proportion. Again, we don't see him attacking and almost killing people for cash . Ross haven't even showed the slighest flicker of the eyes or slight change of expression to suggest he even realises what he's done.Instead we get Ross nearly killing someone followed by a cute scene with a kid.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. For the past three or four years there's been an awful lot of violence and much of it has been quite graphic, or in the case of the Cameron stuff, really chilling. I'm not saying they shouldn't have violence but we don't need to see so much of it. I do think ED goes quite close to the knuckle with both the violence and the sex that it shows.