TV Licence bullies (Part 2)

mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Lifestyle changes in previous generations have led to an increase on the percentage of TV households. Are there any reliable statistics on whether this is actually changing?

Unfortunately, anecodotal evidence tells us nothing here, and finding people on online forums who are in non-TV households is a fairly meaningless indicator of the country as a whole.

There was the figures quoted in the Trust report on licence enforcement last year. The Trust observed that the net could lead to a continuing reduction in households needing a tv licence, and the effect on BBC finances would need "legislative change" to correct.

Comments

• CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From post #3140...
    Incase I wasn't clear - I don't think any of the laws that abuse the human right's act have been justified and TV licensing is certainly not something where this would be justified. I would just expect that changes can be made without eroding rights further.
    I'd be interested to hear how you think this would work. "TVL"/BBC seem adamant that it is necessary to register and verify non-customers, and this is at the heart of the HR issues.
    It's not deemed a sufficient basis for criminal action, but it is often deemed as sufficient basis for investigation and arrest. The 'statistical suspicion' here does not lead directly to criminal action, but does lead to investigations being made that may result in the confirmation of an offence. This actually isn't that uncommon, if I have read the situation correctly, since this is similar to 'probable cause' and, on a less-salutary not, statistical profiling.
    Again, I'd be interested in your comparators. I'm not convinced that any other minor offences are investigated in this way. There is a particular issue with the idea that being TV-free is somehow suspicious, because unlike other possible enforcement scenarios, those who are TV-free are behaving perfectly lawfully within their own homes.

And even extending this to major offences, it is still exceptional, I think (DNA elimination being the most obvious).
    Apart from the low level of fines (any references?) which is potentially indicative but not more than that, what is the evidence that it is the poorest households who are prosecuted?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/other/licence_fee_collection.shtml

The BBC Trust report indicates average fines in the region of £130. I have also sat in on a "TVL" session in court, and the average fine there was even lower. In addition, the BBC sent me some "stakeholder" info which included a social class breakdown of offenders, where C1DE was in the clear majority.
    If BBC/Capita keep a database of households without a TV license, this would appear to be a lawful purpose and they don't have obtain personal consent from those households, since "The [data] processing is necessary for administering justice, or for exercising statutory, governmental, or other public functions" (ICO)
    I see it as being protentially broader than that. If the data on legally licence free citizens is being used for an unlawful purpose, then that data processing may also be unlawful. Though I accept the practical issue of distinguishing the various sub-groups in the data.

Clearly, in historic terms, it has always been practical for organisations to hold (just) customer data without reference to "whole population" databases, and theoretically this should satisfy their statutory obligation to administer the LF.

Indeed, this "use of data" issue is another of the fundamental points at the heart of the LF. IF the data were being processed to retrieve a list of unlicensed addresses for the purposes of simple sales and marketing efforts, that is clearly different to using the same data for the purpose of an unlawful attempt at law enforcement. Obviously if we were just talking sales and marketing, that is encompassed in common law freedoms, and citizens would have rights to opt out and to complain about misleading information.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote:
    It is what it is. In a hypothetical court, counter-evidence would be produced and the truth could be established. In the absense of evidence from "TVL", I'm sure everyone can make up their minds about what the video represents, in evidential terms.

indeed they can.
    And the point is flawed. It is not the law that is flexible, it is the BBC. A summary offence is the epitomy of inflexible law, in fact.

so the BBC can override the law here?OK, fair enough.
    There are a number of potential compromises, but in the end, if we are to honour the various laws and legal principles, "TVL" cannot randomly visit non-customers and seek evidence of an offence, or proof of innocence. I'm open to ANY and ALL suggestions that would avoid that scenario.

The letter "sequence" also needs to be amended so that, as a minimum, non-customers can stop them without divulging any information.

at the expense of all practicality.
    We're not talking cookery, we're talking semantics. Clearly "sweet & sour chicken" as a finished dish is distinct from the mythical "sweet chicken". Just as my claim of "pointless and dangerous" is distinct from just plain "dangerous". Note the order, too. The sense is additive ie. dangerous added to pointless.

whatever else, this point is becoming absurd.

by saying 'pointless and dangerous', did you mean to suggest that there was any element of danger or not? yes or no?
    It clearly doesn't.

it clearly does - there might also, in your opinion, be an element of pointlessness also, but that's not really the point.

if you have fish and chips, you don't not have chips, because you also happen to have fish.
    You know exactly where I am coming from on this. "TVL" have been caught out. They are operating the BBC's process and it fails in the face of knowledgable opposition.

You can quibble all you like about the visit being necessary to stop the letters - it isn't. You can say it resolves the "is a licence needed" question - it doesn't and the question is legally moot, anyway.

Without completely re-engineering the whole process, all I'm saying is that "TVL" simply need to admit those truths, and give non-customers the information they need to make an informed decision. That is how I see respect for the law and for the citizen taking shape.

but i haven't said that the visit is necessary, as in 'if you don't have a visit, there's no other way to resolve the issue'.

i'm simply saying it exists as one way in which it can be resolved.

you seem to arguing that it cannot achieve that, by your repeated assertion that communicating with tvl is pointless.

clearly, if someone gets the letters stopped for a year or two, it isn't pointless.

you personally choosing to go down another route still doesn't change that fact, no matter how many times you like to suggest that it does.
    You're doing the straw-man thing again. I've already said I would not tolerate it, and many others have said the same.

there is no straw man though, because i'm not talking about you - the point is that i disagree that advising tvl and possibly having them visit for 10-15 minutes is particularly difficult. i believe that to be an absolute, regardless what any individual may choose to do.
    Not my road - very quiet. You stand more danger of falling over the (huge) speed humps than being knocked down by a vehicle.

OK - so in your analogy, despite the implication of danger, it turns out that its actually very safe. still not that great an analogy, given that the risk, however small, is one of actual loss of life, and there being no benefit whatsoever in crossing the road.
    If you don't see that citizens should at least be aware of a less onerous alternative, then I don't think there is much point arguing this with you. Which is a shame, because it's one of the crucial points at the heart of the "TVL" debacle.

but that's not what we're discussing here. we're specifically discussing whether or not there is any point in communicating with tvl, whether or not it can achieve anything.

my view is that it can - it can achieve getting letters stopped for a year or two.

are you disputing that fact? (simply pointing out that you can do something else isn't really an answer.)
    There are two choices - one that people will find easy and one that (some, most) people will find harder. Why do you want to deny them that choice and the information required to make it?

its not about denying anyone anything - its about finding it difficult to accept that sending an letter, or making a phone call, and possibly having someone visit for 10-15 minutes is anything difficult.
    Not really - it is only a legal question for me. Do I legally need for "TVL" to register and verify my non-licence status? No.

Is there a further practical issue? Not really. If they have no legal basis on which to make me register and verify my status, then presumably their request stands outside the law, and therefore is... unlawful. And why would I volunteer to take part in an unlawful process?

well, there's the whole practical issue of tvl knowing that you're not evading, and also enabling them to identify people who are evading. you might not approve of how they go about it, but that doesn't make that practicality non existent.
    "Cease and Desist" - job done.

sure - perhaps i'm unusual, but off the top of my head i wouldn't really know much about a cease and desist order, so i'm guessing that for a lot of people, sending a letter or making a phone call, with the possibility of a 10-15 minute from tvl would be less hassle, and take up less time that finding out about cease and desist orders, the advantages of having one, and getting it arranged.
    And what about the part that isn't "the most part"?

i consider it in the same way that i would consider that, in the most part, its safe to leave the house in the morning.
    Because it doesn't matter. Playing Russian Rouletter with a gattling gun is statistically safer than with a revolver. But you won't catch me signing up for either, because they are both too dangerous, and have no benefit to me.

very wise, what with the risk, however small, of actual death and all.
    I think you really need to grasp that there are a number of different reasons not to comply. And whilst you may be able to argue effectively against any one of them individually (or not), taken together there is a compelling case against compliance.

i disagree - i respect people's choice to adopt a stance of non compliance. but i do think its all a bit of an overreaction, given how little is really involved, the practical circumstances, the tiniest chance of being wrongfully convicted.
    It's not relevant whether I agree or not. That is not the simplest way to achieve "TVL"'s acquiesence. And for as long as that remains the case, you are not going to be able to "sell me" on any more complex, more invasion alternative.

And of course, whilst we're talking animal metaphors, the elephant in the room is that my easy way defends all of my rights, and forces "TVL" back to the powers they have under legislation, and the hard way allows them to carry on abusing my rights and exceeding their authority.

i think it is relevant - because whether you agree or not will resolve this thing about whether or not its pointless.

i'm not trying to sell you anything - i'm just trying to point out that there is an alternative. you don't have to agree that its the best alternative, but i can't understand why you seem to be saying point blank that it doesn't exist.
    In breach of PACE and HRA? Those pieces of legislation are there for a purpose. It is not for the BBC to simply brush them aside because they make life harder/more expensive.

in breach, or possibly in breach?
    The form is structured as a confession, complete with caution. It is also structured with the presumption of guilt (with questions of the form: "when did you last beat your wife").

So that is the starting point on interaction with the public. I'm sure there are cases where it is not used (for example the search video doesn't show it). But the visiting guidelines certainly talk about it being important - maybe mandatory, I will check.

i think you're deliberately being careful with your wording here - 'The form is structured as a confession....'.

what does that mean exactly?

is there a part, above everybody's signature, which says something like :

I, the undersigned, confess to operating tv with the express purposes of watching live tv broadcasts, without a valid tv licence.....?

or not?

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anderson24 wrote:
    Which was...

You disagreed with a comparison between TVL and the Gestapo by EleanorRigby who said that TVL used 'Fear and intimidation based on no proof whatsoever that an offence has been committed'.

yes - and we'd gotten onto CAB....
    I replied with examples of this intimidation from a reputable source - CAB.

...and i asked you to post any extracts from (initial) tvl letters that you considered to be unduly threatening or aggressive.
    Perhaps you'd like to comment on those examples instead of trying to divert the discussion back to something with which you think you have a better chance of stifling criticism of TVL/BBC - namely the initial letters, which we both know start with a polite enquiry.

so you agree that initial letters are polite enquiries?
    Do you think it's acceptable that people on the receiving end of TVL contact considered that the letters were 'threatening', or that they felt 'intimidated', 'bullied', 'harassed constantly' 'vulnerable', or 'very distressed'?

i think it all depends on the person - different people will take things differently.

i'd also wonder why it was people didn't reply to initial letters.

don't get me wrong - if people want to exercise their right to not reply, that's entirely up to them.

but if they do ignore initial letters, they shouldn't perhaps be surprised when they get more letters.

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BedsitBob wrote:
    Would you be happy for myself and/or Cornucopia, to have a nosy round your house, for 10-15 minutes?

if you were tvl employees popping round to confirm that i didn't need a tv licence, then yes.

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote:
    Why are you limiting it to initial letters

Surely sending any letters, which are threatening or intimidating, is wrong

if people don't want to reply to letters, that's entirely their right.

but i don't think they should then be surprised if they get more letters.

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    iain wrote: »
    but that's not what we're discussing here. we're specifically discussing whether or not there is any point in communicating with tvl, whether or not it can achieve anything.

my view is that it can - it can achieve getting letters stopped for a year or two.

are you disputing that fact? (simply pointing out that you can do something else isn't really an answer.)

its not about denying anyone anything - its about finding it difficult to accept that sending an letter, or making a phone call, and possibly having someone visit for 10-15 minutes is anything difficult.

It looks like Cornucopia's issue is

- TV licensing have no legal right to enter the home
    - The reason for which TV licensing want to enter the home has no legal benefit to the homeowner
    - Contacting TV licensing is not required by law

So the problem isn't that sending a letter, making a phone call or having someone visit is difficult, but that it just isn't for consideration, regardless of whether doing any of those things is easier. It isn't about it being easier, it is about not having someone 'invade' your personal life who has no reason to be there. (At least, this is my reading of Cornucopia's position.)

This viewpoint tends to follow from a concern that if it becomes OK to let one public body (or its agents) 'invade' your personal life, then it becomes the norm for other public bodies, and the government ends up interfering with everything. I seems to bear a relationship to the response from some people in USA when the police came to their house without a warrant and ask if they can come in.

On the flipside - it is always the minority that cause problems for the majority. That's just the way the world works. Those who evade cause problems for other people who are not evading (although in this case the evaders are a larger group than the non-licensed non-evaders, there are still a minority of the relevant population ie everyone).
    Forum Member
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear how you think this would work. "TVL"/BBC seem adamant that it is necessary to register and verify non-customers, and this is at the heart of the HR issues.
    I see it as being protentially broader than that. If the data on legally licence free citizens is being used for an unlawful purpose, then that data processing may also be unlawful. Though I accept the practical issue of distinguishing the various sub-groups in the data.

Clearly, in historic terms, it has always been practical for organisations to hold (just) customer data without reference to "whole population" databases, and theoretically this should satisfy their statutory obligation to administer the LF.

Indeed, this "use of data" issue is another of the fundamental points at the heart of the LF. IF the data were being processed to retrieve a list of unlicensed addresses for the purposes of simple sales and marketing efforts, that is clearly different to using the same data for the purpose of an unlawful attempt at law enforcement. Obviously if we were just talking sales and marketing, that is encompassed in common law freedoms, and citizens would have rights to opt out and to complain about misleading information.

Although it does looks, from the ICO information, that the principle of registering and verifying non-customers is not an HR issue. The manner in which the verification takes place may, or may not, be an HR issue. The attempt at law enforcement is not unlawful per-se. Other organisations do hold 'whole-population' databases, eg, councils.
    Again, I'd be interested in your comparators. I'm not convinced that any other minor offences are investigated in this way. There is a particular issue with the idea that being TV-free is somehow suspicious, because unlike other possible enforcement scenarios, those who are TV-free are behaving perfectly lawfully within their own homes.

And even extending this to major offences, it is still exceptional, I think (DNA elimination being the most obvious).

'Probable cause' has a statistical basis and is used to further investigations and collect evidence. You do not have to have any concrete evidence initially, but have a certain likelihood that a crime has been committed by a particular individual (eg). There is certainly a difference - 'probable cause' is used when a crime has occured but you don't know who committed it, whereas with TV licensing you are assuming that a crime is likely to have occured.

Hmmm. How to detect license evasion without giving TV licensing the right to enter people's homes, and without a technological solution (which needs to, as a minimum, provide strong enough evidence that a physical check can be carried out). OK, maybe not straightforward. Maybe TVL should just employ attractive and charming people who can enter people's homes without it feeling like an invasion (obviously having resolved any PACE issues).
    The BBC Trust report indicates average fines in the region of £130. I have also sat in on a "TVL" session in court, and the average fine there was even lower. In addition, the BBC sent me some "stakeholder" info which included a social class breakdown of offenders, where C1DE was in the clear majority.

This still doesn't mean that low-income households are being 'targeted'. You would need to know the social class breakdown of evaders compared to the social class breakdown of people against whom action is taken. A reasonable statistical comparison is stop-and-search - this should not be a problem when the proportion of being being stopped who are minorities is greater than the proportion of the population who are minorities, provided it is still in line with the proportion of offenders who are minorities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother wrote to TVL over a year ago saying he did not have a tv and was going abroad for a period of time.

They haven't taken any notice and have just continued to send threatening letters.
    OK he is abroad so when I go to his house to check the mail I am the one who reads them.
    I can't think of any other body who send threatening letters without probable cause.

If it was debt collectors harassing you then usually they would have proof that you owed money to a company.

TVL seem to think that anyone not on their database is automatically an offender and they must prove beyond doubt to TVL that they are not breaking the law.

And at the end of the threatening letter they tell you to ignore it if you've bought a licence.

These people need reeling in as their treatment of people who may be innocent is appalling and should not have to be tolerated by anyone especially if they have no tv and do not require a licence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it does looks, from the ICO information, that the principle of registering and verifying non-customers is not an HR issue. The manner in which the verification takes place may, or may not, be an HR issue. The attempt at law enforcement is not unlawful per-se. Other organisations do hold 'whole-population' databases, eg, councils.
    TBH, I consider the DPA issues as wholly secondary to the wider problems with the LF regime. I am open to the idea that they will hold details of the whole population and/or every address, providing that it is used for lawful purposes.
    'Probable cause' has a statistical basis and is used to further investigations and collect evidence. You do not have to have any concrete evidence initially, but have a certain likelihood that a crime has been committed by a particular individual (eg). There is certainly a difference - 'probable cause' is used when a crime has occured but you don't know who committed it, whereas with TV licensing you are assuming that a crime is likely to have occured.
    Indeed, and that, along with the issue that "TVL" see acting lawfully as a cause for suspicion, are the reasons why I object to the "statistical suspicion" princple.
    Hmmm. How to detect license evasion without giving TV licensing the right to enter people's homes, and without a technological solution (which needs to, as a minimum, provide strong enough evidence that a physical check can be carried out). OK, maybe not straightforward. Maybe TVL should just employ attractive and charming people who can enter people's homes without it feeling like an invasion (obviously having resolved any PACE issues).
    The resolution to the PACE issues is for "TVL" to work through the "considered consent" that PACE Code B provides for. Liberty suggest that this would involve the citizen giving written consent to the search.

TBH, I really don't think that any evader and most legally licence free citizens will provide "considered consent" to search, given the knowledge that they do not have to. What I think is happening at the moment is that searches are filtering to those who don't know they are evading added to those who don't know/aren't told they can refuse "TVL" entry.
    This still doesn't mean that low-income households are being 'targeted'.
    I think "filtered" is perhaps a better description. There are a number of filtering points in the process that would tend to remove people with knowledge and people with readily available funds from the court process. I even witnessed "TVL" in Court, withdrawing or proceeding with individual cases on the basis of weekly/DD payment records.
    You would need to know the social class breakdown of evaders...
    I completely accept your analysis. But I also have the first-hand experience of seeing 83 cases run through a court, virtually all of which concerned people on low incomes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- The reason for which TV licensing want to enter the home has no legal benefit to the homeowner
    Good summary. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So the solution would be to grant TVL greater legal powers, that seems to be what you're saying.
    Those who evade cause problems for other people who are not evading (although in this case the evaders are a larger group than the non-licensed non-evaders, there are still a minority of the relevant population ie everyone).
    Likewise those who quite legitimately don't require a licence but refuse to co-operate with TV Licencing. Simply replying to the inital letter and allowing an inspection would free up resources and help keep costs down, while at the same time removing the "stress and fear" which these "threatening" letters apparently cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so the BBC can override the law here?OK, fair enough.
    I'm assuming it's lawful for them to do so. But given their conduct elsewhere...?
    at the expense of all practicality.
    When the Police are allowed to go door-to-door looking for Drug dens and Brothels, then I think we can justify "TVL"'s behaviour as being similarly practical. Until then, it's simply not relevant (to me, anyway).
    whatever else, this point is becoming absurd.

by saying 'pointless and dangerous', did you mean to suggest that there was any element of danger or not? yes or no?
    Yes, clearly pointless with overtones of danger.
    if you have fish and chips, you don't not have chips, because you also happen to have fish.
    I'm thinking it's not the same, possibly because fish & chips are both nouns. But don't quote me on that.
    but i haven't said that the visit is necessary,
    "TVL" do.
    as in 'if you don't have a visit, there's no other way to resolve the issue'.

i'm simply saying it exists as one way in which it can be resolved.

you seem to arguing that it cannot achieve that, by your repeated assertion that communicating with tvl is pointless.
    I think that has become confused over the many posts. Salixorby's post is a good summary of my position.
    there is no straw man though, because i'm not talking about you - the point is that i disagree that advising tvl and possibly having them visit for 10-15 minutes is particularly difficult. i believe that to be an absolute, regardless what any individual may choose to do.
    Why does "TVL" need to mislead people about its necessity, then? If all reasonable people would agree to it, anyway?
    sure - perhaps i'm unusual, but off the top of my head i wouldn't really know much about a cease and desist order...
    That's not really a very good argument. The reason why cease & desist is required, is because "TVL" somehow needs this in order to be able to unhold rights I/we already have. If they were honest about their powers and my/our rights, then C&D would not be required.
    in breach, or possibly in breach?
    In breach, but IANAL.

i think you're deliberately being careful with your wording here - 'The form is structured as a confession....'.
    No, I'm really not.
    what does that mean exactly?
    That it forms evidence of a confession when completed with the relevant answers to leading questions.
    is there a part, above everybody's signature, which says something like :

I, the undersigned, confess to operating tv with the express purposes of watching live tv broadcasts, without a valid tv licence.....?

or not?
    There doesn't need to be.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haven't any suggestions, because honestly other people have more knowledge of legal issues and revenue protection - this isn't meant as a cop-out even if it is. I just don't believe that there cannot be a way of collecting the TVL that is less disliked and harder to evade.

There are ways, but they require the government and the BBC to accept them.

One is funding via general taxation. Everyone pays, so there's no evasion. Costs as in collection overheads are reduced and the BBC can focus on being a PSB rather than a tax collector. Downside is the government then needs to find £3bn+ a year to keep the BBC in the style to which it's become accustomed.

Suggestions that the BBC loses independence are false given the BBC has never been financially independent of government. It collects the licence fee on behalf of government, pays it to the Treasury and then asks for it's budget.

Another is the French model and funding via Council Tax. This could reduce collection costs, possibly leaving the BBC to focus on enforcement. But it still leaves the licence fee as a line item to be opposed, needs care to avoid it being regressive and potentially a method to opt-out easily. Tiering it with council tax bands may be one way to make it less regressive, but then again property rating doesn't always reflect income, ability to pay or consumption.

Then there's technology options, so use DTT's features to deny service to non-licence payers, or limited unencrypted service. Main loophole with this option is dealing with IPTV, the rest could be covered by broadcaster/mux licences.
    Lifestyle changes in previous generations have led to an increase on the percentage of TV households. Are there any reliable statistics on whether this is actually changing?

Biggest change was an upward revision to non-TV households following the last census. That asked if people watched TV, but the results may not be reliable if people thought answering 'yes' when they were unlicensed could lead to a criminal prosecution.

The BBC itself doesn't seem to care though. It assumes every unlicensed household is an evader, unless they prove otherwise to the BBC's satisfaction. It's been writing to me every month for the last 5+ years, but has never sent me a survey form to ask why I've stopped subscribing or watching live TV. That's a big wasted opportunity for the BBC to learn something about it's ex-customers.
    I'd be interested in the politics behind why and how Capita got involved - whether it entirely a BBC decision. Given that it happened in 2006 after the Post Office had been doing it for 60 years, I would suspect governmental love for outsourcing in having a hand.

Some of it was the demerger of the GPO, which used to be the PO, BBC and BT. Following that, the contract was put out to tender. The original bidder (who's name escapes me) gave up because it was costing them too much and the BBC got the job. They tender out parts of the activities under the 'TVL' brand, and Capita won a large slice of it. Supposedly worth £500m over 10 years, currently been worth way more than that to Capita's shareholders. That contract is nearing it's end, so an ideal time to reconsider the licence fee.
    Would a move to general taxation be unfair on those who don't watch TV? (The increased governmental control is another big problem.)

Depends how it's structured. Taxation already has an element of unfairness. I pay for schools but have no kids. I pay for hospitals, but don't get ill. I pay for tanks, but aren't allowed to play with one. Tax pays for services that are generally considered a 'public good', and we generally accept that's for the good of society. If Strictly Come Dancing is a public service, why not fund it from taxation?
    A little bit of a catch-22, but maybe not as much as it might appear. The statistics appear to be around 2% of households not needing a licence and 5% evasion.

Evasion could be much higher. A lot depends on how you classify the size of the population vs the size of the population that actually needs a licence. The BBC doesn't really bother doing this though, so actual non-licenced could be up to 10%, if you include all households and all businesses that could need a licence. Again this is where the current system is a bit pointless. There's no financial link between the number of properties and the BBC's costs, so why base it's budget on households?
    Ah, so if I understand this correctly, the point is that giving someone permission to enter your home, does not give them legal right of entry if you were misled (legally, eg something was demanded that couldn't be). I don't know that 'investigating' counts in itself - without seeing an actual letter it's hard to judge.

There are examples here-

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

The August one's a new one on me, I don't have that in my collection yet.
    OK, I hadn't heard of the Renknapp case before, but it seems clear enough that it can be reasonable to challenge a warrant (or challenging the actions taken as a result of a warrant that wss illegal).

It can get complicated and be confusing. AFAIK, the UK doesn't have the US 'fruit of the poison tree' defence for illegal searches. It could perhaps do with some clarification though. Problem is our last government made lots of laws, widening powers granted to non-traditional law enforcement, often with little regulation or oversight for the use of those powers. That's bad for our civil liberties.

It's a similar to PACE discussions. I could interview you in accordance with PACE, but it would be largely meaningless. A BBC enfarcer has no more legal rights (sans warrant) than you, me, or any doorstep sales person. If a police officer breaches PACE, then police disciplinary procedures can sanction them, up to dismissal and prosecution. If a self-employed, commission-only BBC subcontractor breaches PACE, who's the regulator, and what sanctions could be applied?
    I can't see that the DPA would prevent the body responsible for collecting the TVL from holding a list of unlicensed properties.

I'd agree with that. It's entitled to hold a list of licenced or unlicensed properties. Why though does it need people's names, when licences are for properties? Especially when name changes on licences seem to cause it so many problems?
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaveBTCC wrote: »
    So the solution would be to grant TVL greater legal powers, that seems to be what you're saying.

What additional powers do you think they should be granted?
    Likewise those who quite legitimately don't require a licence but refuse to co-operate with TV Licencing. Simply replying

I might reply to the BBC, if they included a reply-paid form for me to use. Remember I'm under no obligation to reply to them at all because I'm a law abiding citizen. Why would I bother replying, when the only way it seems possible to be accepted as a law abiding citizen is to provide consent to a warrantless search of my property?
    to the inital letter and allowing an inspection would free up resources and help keep costs down, while at the same time removing the "stress and fear" which these "threatening" letters apparently cause.

Ok, so take my property as an example. I have 11 displays, 7 computers and assorted other gizmos like a PS3 that could potentially do something that might need a licence. None of them are installed or used for that purpose though, so all perfectly legal.

What do you think is reasonable to do during your search of my property?

How would you inspect them to ensure no offence is being committed?

How long do you think it would take, or it's reasonable for me to allow for this search?

What training do you think you'd need to perform this task?

What laws would you need to be aware of to avoid leaving yourself open to prosecution?

How much liability cover do you think you'd need?

How many times a year do you think I should allow you to do these searches?
  • anderson24anderson24 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes - and we'd gotten onto CAB....

Iain

I'll try again...

Do you think it's acceptable that people on the receiving end of TVL contact considered that the letters were 'threatening', or that they felt 'intimidated', 'bullied', 'harassed constantly' 'vulnerable', or 'very distressed'?

I'm asking a simple enough question, I want to know what you think Iain, not what everyone else might think.

Paul.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anderson24 wrote: »
    I'll try again...

I'm asking a simple enough question, I want to know what you think Iain, not what everyone else might think.

Paul.

i've told you what i think Paul.

if people feel so concerned by these letters, then i really do wonder why they hadn't simply replied to earlier letters.

and yes - before you ask - if people have made a reasonable effort to communicate with tvl, then yes, they have grounds to escalate the issue if they are still receiving letters.

but as far as i can tell, a lot of people choose to ignore letters, and then complain when they get other letters.

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by carl.waring
    And those quotes by the CAB were of the thoughts and feelings of the people who actually received the letters in question and not the opinions of anyone at the CAB.

Both Iain and I understand the distinction but it seems that you do not. Therefore I hope my exlplanation helps you to further your understanding.

It seems you are the one with limited understanding - I posted extracts from letters/contacts received by CAB regarding problems with TVL. All the references I used were extracts from letters, which was quite clear. I can see though that me saying, 'CAB were in a much better position to comment' at the start of the post may have confused someone who is hard of thinking.

Anyway... do you think it's acceptable that people considered that the letters were 'threatening', or that they felt 'intimidated' or 'bullied' or 'harassed constantly' or 'vulnerable', or 'very distressed'? Again, I'm interested in hearing what YOU think, not others.

Paul.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've told you what i think Paul.

if people feel so concerned by these letters, then i really do wonder why they hadn't simply replied to earlier letters.

and yes - before you ask - if people have made a reasonable effort to communicate with tvl, then yes, they have grounds to escalate the issue if they are still receiving letters.

but as far as i can tell, a lot of people choose to ignore letters, and then complain when they get other letters.

Iain

So, it's acceptable then?

YES OR NO?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anderson24 wrote: »
    So, it's acceptable then?

YES OR NO?

calm down Paul. :)

put it this way -

it would be unacceptable to harass and intimidate people.

however, just because someone thinks something is unduly aggressive or threatening, doesn't actually mean it is.

if i was a sensitive soul, i could say that i find your tone to be unnecessarily intimidating, but that might say more about me, than the tone of your posts.

and even if it is, it seems that people have every opportunity to avoid that by simply replying to earlier letters.

you said just now that you "want to know what you think Iain, not what everyone else might think", and yet you're the one relying on other people's views.

but when i ask you to post extracts from these letters that you would describe as unduly threatening or aggressive, you decline to do so.

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

but when i ask you to post extracts from these letters that you would describe as unduly threatening or aggressive, you decline to do so.

Iain

No straight answer, just more diversion!
    Forum Member
    Good summary. :)

Thanks. Although I do think that this viewpoint is slightly unreasonable and doesn't fit particularly well with a properly functioning society. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Although I do think that this viewpoint is slightly unreasonable and doesn't fit particularly well with a properly functioning society. :D

I'm all for a society that functions well, and in which the public-spiritedness of citizens plays a role.

In order to achieve that, though, I think that public bodies need to approach citizens with an attitude of respect, helpfulness and above all, honesty. When "TVL" make in-roads into its issues in all of those areas, I will consider whether I can & will help them in any way. (Though, if they still want me to prove my innocence in some way to eliminate myself from enquiries, that isn't going to happen unless new law explicitly requires it).

In the meantime, I will do what I can to encourage them to change their behaviour, which at present I consider to be completely unacceptable.
    Forum Member
    TBH, I consider the DPA issues as wholly secondary to the wider problems with the LF regime. I am open to the idea that they will hold details of the whole population and/or every address, providing that it is used for lawful purposes.

Room for agreement in the broadcasting forum?
    Indeed, and that, along with the issue that "TVL" see acting lawfully as a cause for suspicion, are the reasons why I object to the "statistical suspicion" princple.

TV licensing see not-known-to-be-acting-legally as the cause for suspicion, but I don't see how they take acting lawfully as a cause of suspicion.
    TBH, I really don't think that any evader and most legally licence free citizens will provide "considered consent" to search, given the knowledge that they do not have to. What I think is happening at the moment is that searches are filtering to those who don't know they are evading added to those who don't know/aren't told they can refuse "TVL" entry.

This does seem very likely. The solution of making people much more aware that they can tell TVL to go away has the effect that evasion becomes more prevalent - not a win-win.
    There are a number of filtering points in the process that would tend to remove people with knowledge and people with readily available funds from the court process. I even witnessed "TVL" in Court, withdrawing or proceeding with individual cases on the basis of weekly/DD payment records.

Again, very likely even from not having witnessed the process. What I am not sure about is whether this is any different from other legal processes, where the richer and better informed people tend to come out better than poorer or less-informed people. If this is significantly worse with the TVL than that is relevant, otherwise it is just an example of an unjust system and the problem is not the TVL.
    But I also have the first-hand experience of seeing 83 cases run through a court, virtually all of which concerned people on low incomes.

Which is indicative, but not more than that. I can't imagine though that Justice or CAB have sufficient funds to do the work necessary to find out the level of the problem, as regards low-income people being effectively targeted.

In reference to my previous point - did you observe non-TVL cases (at a similar level on the justice system) and if so were those also mostly concerning people on low incomes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaveBTCC wrote: »
    I'm not sure that is a solution, TBH. Unless we are to have not just right of entry, but right of entry by force. Even then, I think committed evaders would still have the upper hand with TV receiving equipment now being as small as a USB stick.
    Likewise those who quite legitimately don't require a licence but refuse to co-operate with TV Licencing. Simply replying to the inital letter and allowing an inspection would free up resources and help keep costs down, while at the same time removing the "stress and fear" which these "threatening" letters apparently cause.
    I think you misunderstand my position. I have legally instructed "TVL" to go away. Their expenditure in my case is reduced, because there are no letters or visits to pay for.

I am doing them a favour, since I would also be within my rights to let them carry on with their normal process, and simply turn them away (repeatedly) on the doorstep, until they got the message. Bear in mind, though, that this is THEIR process. It's not the most effective approach, nor is it mandated in law. As such, I have little sympathy if their costs are increased when innocent citizens enforce their rights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Room for agreement in the broadcasting forum?
    I am always open to consensus-seeking. It seems to evade us here, most of the time, though. ;)
    TV licensing see not-known-to-be-acting-legally as the cause for suspicion, but I don't see how they take acting lawfully as a cause of suspicion.
    I think that's semantics, TBH. The fact, in my situation, is that I am acting lawfully. What "TVL" think is not fact. Whether "TVL" believe me is what is at issue. Unfortunately, the law does not allow them to press the issue against my wishes. (Not only that, but in all honesty I think we have to question whether the BBC/this offence are a special case, in law, or not).
    This does seem very likely. The solution of making people much more aware that they can tell TVL to go away has the effect that evasion becomes more prevalent - not a win-win.
    The law requires it. Simple as that.
    Again, very likely even from not having witnessed the process. What I am not sure about is whether this is any different from other legal processes, where the richer and better informed people tend to come out better than poorer or less-informed people. If this is significantly worse with the TVL than that is relevant, otherwise it is just an example of an unjust system and the problem is not the TVL.
    I think that if you take the facts that 2/3 of cases are never prosecuted (presumably because a licence is bought), together with the lack of legal aid in these prosecutions, then people with money and knowledge will be at a significant advantage.

I think that the LF is part of the wider issue of poverty and social inequity, but it also has issues of its own, too.
    Which is indicative, but not more than that. I can't imagine though that Justice or CAB have sufficient funds to do the work necessary to find out the level of the problem, as regards low-income people being effectively targeted.

In reference to my previous point - did you observe non-TVL cases (at a similar level on the justice system) and if so were those also mostly concerning people on low incomes?
    There are other demographic slants that we haven't discussed. The main one is male-female. Whilst most crimes are heavily biased towards male offenders, this one is biased towards female offenders. There are a number of filtering factors that I think are in play, here:-
    • Women more likely to be around when "TVL" call
    • Women more likely to do what "TVL" tell them to
    • Women may be more desirable for "TVL" staff to call on (more likely to get commission, less likely to get abuse)